Re: [Y-Mail] Yahoo Mail users hit by widespread hacking, XSS exploit seemingly to blame (Update: Fixed) - The Next Web

  • Sasafrass452
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 8, 2013
      Ok.

      Well, that is certainly strange! It could be that someone got your password by hacking Yahoo's own servers, rather than your computer. If it happens again, try contacting Yahoo. It's up to them to stop it!

      **Sasafrass452**
      http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
      http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 8, 2013
        I have used Yahoo mail for years - at least 12 - and have never had a problem.  Same with hubby.  Do you do a lot of surfing in the net??

        Lorrie

        Lorries Green World
        http://minilorrie.2itb.com
        Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

        --- On Tue, 1/8/13, Donna Lee <donna74128@...> wrote:

        Yes this is true. I never click on those links. But my account has sent out these links TWICE. I NEVER click on any link in email without an extended explanation as to what is in that link. So... Why does my account still send these out?

        I have deleted all my group addresses from my Yahoo data base to prevent my groups from being spammed from Yahoo's incompetence in fixing the problem!! As long as web mail is in existence there will be hacking but Yahoo security is the weakest! I never have had problems with my other web mail accounts from Gmail to Cox Communications like I do with Yahoo!

      • Donna Lee
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 8, 2013
          That is why I have been fussin' with Yahoo. They blame me for giving out my password and a dirty PC. I got tired if dealing with them!

          I have changed my password twice this year.

          Donna Ford Lee  ♂+♀=♡
          Tulsa, OK

          Don't cry because it's over,
          smile because it happened.

          Sent Via My iPhone

          On Jan 8, 2013, at 10:53 AM, "Sasafrass452" <Sasafrass452@...> wrote:

          Ok.

          Well, that is certainly strange! It could be that someone got your password by hacking Yahoo's own servers, rather than your computer. If it happens again, try contacting Yahoo. It's up to them to stop it!

          **Sasafrass452**
          http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
          http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

        • Makc666
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 8, 2013
            Yahoo has "View your recent sign-in activity" option in your "Account Info" section.
            https://api.login.yahoo.com/login/history

            So you can check activity there.

            Also AVG is not a good one to use. Use Kaspersky Antivirus and only then you can tell people that you are virus/malware free.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 8, 2013
              No I am usually on Facebook (no extra stuff ) just reading news from my patriotic tea party site. I like to use Ravelry for crochet and knitting. Then I play on Pogo dot com. That is basically it. :)

              Donna Ford Lee  ♂+♀=♡
              Tulsa, OK

              Don't cry because it's over,
              smile because it happened.

              Sent Via My iPhone

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 8, 2013
                AVG Pro is better than the free program. I do not use the free AVG. I have also paid for Malwarebytes. SpyBot is a free program.

                AVG will let me put a note on the bottom of my Cox email that I am virus free but it won't do that with web mail.

                I used to use Symantec but it slowed my computer so I took it out.

                I can get Norton free from Cox Communications but I am not happy with that either, it too slows down my system.

                I have never had a problem with AVG. If there is a virus on the web site AVG will not let me open the site. I do not remember Symantec or Norton doing that. I pay $39 for two PC's with AVG. The others are $39 to $49 for ONE PC. That is more that I can spend on my retirement income.

                Donna Ford Lee ♂+♀=♡
                Tulsa, OK

                Don't cry because it's over,
                smile because it happened.

                Sent Via My iPhone

                On Jan 8, 2013, at 1:41 PM, "Makc666" <makc666@...> wrote:

                > Yahoo has "View your recent sign-in activity" option in your "Account Info" section.
                > https://api.login.yahoo.com/login/history
                >
                > So you can check activity there.
                >
                > Also AVG is not a good one to use. Use Kaspersky Antivirus and only then you can tell people that you are virus/malware free.

              • Lorrie

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 8, 2013
                    Donna,

                    > Yes this is true. I never click on those links. But my account has sent
                    > out these links TWICE. I NEVER click on any link in email without an
                    > extended explanation as to what is in that link. So... Why does my
                    > account still send these out?

                    There are multiple methods used to compromise webmail (and other) accounts. Though this weekend's excitement seems to have primarily involved a cross-site scripting attack, your two incidents might not have been part of that, or may each have had a different cause.

                    For that matter, any web page could potentially host a cross-site scripting attack; crooks are always looking for web sites that are poorly managed (have weak security) so that they can "park" their phishing and/or exploit pages on a domain that looks legit. A lot of small companies and organizations have been unwitting accomplices/victims in this. You could have been tricked into clicking on one by something more clever than one of the link-only emails.

                    -- Shal
                  • Donna Lee
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 9, 2013
                      I don't get spammed from FB. I turned off the email notification. I do not play their games either. I have Pogo that I like and I have little games in my iPhone.

                      As far as spam from FB I don't get any because I do not use games or any of their apps. I have been known to click on something but when a page comes up the I have to agree to share personal information I go back to the FB homepage.

                      I have never had a problem with Facebook that I hear about from others.

                      Donna Ford Lee  ♂+♀=♡
                      Tulsa, OK

                      Don't cry because it's over,
                      smile because it happened.

                      Sent Via My iPhone

                      On Jan 8, 2013, at 4:59 PM, Lorrie <minilorrie@...> wrote:

                      Hmmm. Facebook - I have gotten so much spam thru them since I joined it.  I think that may be your problem.  I have heard several people say that as soon as they started using FB that their systems were hacked.  To me, FB is bad news.

                      Lorrie

                      Lorries Green World
                      http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                      Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

                      --- On Tue, 1/8/13, Donna Lee <donna74128@...> wrote:

                      No I am usually on Facebook (no extra stuff ) just reading news from my patriotic tea party site. I like to use Ravelry for crochet and knitting. Then I play on Pogo dot com. That is basically it. :)

                    • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 12, 2013
                        Lorrie, how can you tell that FB is the origin? I'm curious. One thing I especially don't like about FB is all the data-mining via the games. People don't seem to care that when they play those games, they're giving permission for the game hosts to collect their data and the data of anyone they connect to. A lot of people play the games!  Cindy

                        Cindy in Ohio
                        Melanie, CD, CGC...Border Collie mix
                        http://cynthiasword.wordpress.com/