Rant - So that new Yahoo! Mail...

  • guillaumebcom
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2012
      What are your thoughts so far ?

      I'm really disappointed. To me it looks like Yahoo! has simply launched 3 new themes which "feels" lighter than the previous ones. But really no one ever asked for Yahoo! Mail to be faster. It was already way faster than the competition.

      However :

      - I still don't have the calendar tab
      - I missed the preview pane placed on the right side
      - i don't have Facebook Chat
      - The filters are not smarter
      - There is no more 3rd party apps
      - Where is the thread view ?
      - Where is the official IMAP support
      - How can a webmail not be compatible with ActiveSync in a so called "All Mobile strategy" ?
      - Pop for Mail Plus ? Again ? Seriously ?
      - Graphical ads ? Again ? Seriously ?

      That's just too much. if this is how Marissa Mayer intends to focus on products then she might as well just give up right now. i could have made those three skins myself through a JS...
      There is absolutely no evolution I can't even believe yahoo! actually dared to call this a "new version".
    • David Boey

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 13, 2012
          The best practice, for now, would be to let us choose if we want to opt in or out.
          About calendar tab, in Brazil no one have it, that is why I'm using the EN-US version for years.
          I have 3rd party apps, by the way.

          --
          Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
          http://about.me/henriquejunior

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 13, 2012
            This is certainly not the 'new version' or 're-imaging email'. This is nothing but old wine in new bottle. But lets not jump to the judgement at this point of time. We are aware of sluggish approach of Y-mail team earlier. Ms. Marissa Mayer has just joined the Yahoo! in July itself and she would need some more time to work around and ignite and energize the moral and attitude of people at Yahoo! This is no doubt the long process and we can see the results not earlier than next year. Till then Happy Gmailing... or Outlooking... *;) winking

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 16, 2012
              I have to be honest, I agree with all your points. Not exactly a deal changer. Outlook.com still more useful (especially once they allow attachments to be saved to Skydrive sometime soon I hope). Facebook chat works there and there are no graphical ads.

              A few things are nice - the format toolbar when composing message - all together with attachment options. It all looks a little cleaner, but functionality wise, nothing has really changed.

              Also, why are folders with unread messages not displayed in bold? That is a backward step.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 16, 2012
                Noticed one definite improvement - attachments in received emails:
                1. they are now at the top of the email
                2. the icons are smaller
                Still, overall, the positives are very few in this new version. Not even that much quicker, though that may be my computer.
                Strangely enough, using IE - I don't see any adverts. Banner ads still there on Firefox. I gave up on Mail Plus a while ago now.