Re: [OT] Will Y!Messenger be left out in the Skype migration ?

  • guillaumebcom
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2012
      Well looks like it WILL be left out actually

      From the Yahoo Messenger Blog :

      "Yahoo! Messenger Public Chat Rooms
      The Yahoo! Messenger Public Chat Rooms will close down on December 14, 2012.

      Yahoo! Messenger Pingbox
      As of December 14, 2012, Pingbox will no longer be available on Yahoo! Messenger. If you've installed Pingbox on your blog or social networks, please click here to learn how to uninstall it.

      Yahoo! Messenger interoperability with Microsoft Windows Live Messenger
      Yahoo! Messenger will no longer be interoperable with Microsoft Windows Live Messenger as of December 14, 2012. Microsoft buddies will still appear on your Messenger contact list, but they will be greyed out, and if you try to send instant messages to them, the messages will not be delivered.

      Yahoo! Voice Phone In and Phone Out feature
      Effective January 30, 2013, we will no longer offer Yahoo! Voice Phone In and Phone Out capabilities, our co-branded landline and mobile phone service from Jajah. As of today, users can no longer add new funds to their accounts, and active users who currently have a balance in their accounts will receive emailed instructions in December from Jajah on how to request a refund. You can find more information on how to ask for a refund here, and you can contact Jajah with any questions at yahoovoice@.... Free Messenger-to-Messenger calls will still be offered through Yahoo! Messenger.

      Thank you to everyone who have used these features. We plan to keep innovating and building great Yahoo! products that will delight our users in the years to come."

      http://www.ymessengerblog.com/blog/2012/11/30/updates-to-yahoo-messenger-features/
    • Henrique Junior
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2012
        Time to let Live Messenger die and bring support to Jabber.

        --
        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
        http://about.me/henriquejunior

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2012

          Presumably this has been initiated from Microsoft’s end because they are integrating Messenger into Skype. I’m guessing Y Messenger is still interoperable with Facebook messenger. Still, it’s one more thing that chips away at reasons to use Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Messenger. Essentially you have Yahoo that is steadily eroding away at its services versus Outlook and Gmail that are steadily increasing and integrating its offerings. If yet another Yahoo Mail revamp is on the way, it better be a brilliant one, otherwise I’ll be off soon.

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2012
            I'm not surprised about this, but I'm still wondering what will happen to the groups. If the new CEO is focusing on the products that make Yahoo the most money, I'm afraid our groups don't fall into that category. They've tried to redesign the groups a few times, but always got an enormous backlash from users so they abandon the project. So, what is next for the groups? Will they remain open? With facebook & twitter ruling the internet as a means of communication, I'm not too optimistic....

            **Sasafrass452**
            http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
            http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
            On 12/01/2012 05:51 PM, guillaumebcom wrote:

            Well looks like it WILL be left out actually

            >From the Yahoo Messenger Blog :

            "Yahoo! Messenger Public Chat Rooms
            The Yahoo! Messenger Public Chat Rooms will close down on December 14, 2012.

            Yahoo! Messenger Pingbox
            As of December 14, 2012, Pingbox will no longer be available on Yahoo! Messenger. If you've installed Pingbox on your blog or social networks, please click here to learn how to uninstall it.

            Yahoo! Messenger interoperability with Microsoft Windows Live Messenger
            Yahoo! Messenger will no longer be interoperable with Microsoft Windows Live Messenger as of December 14, 2012. Microsoft buddies will still appear on your Messenger contact list, but they will be greyed out, and if you try to send instant messages to them, the messages will not be delivered.

            Yahoo! Voice Phone In and Phone Out feature
            Effective January 30, 2013, we will no longer offer Yahoo! Voice Phone In and Phone Out capabilities, our co-branded landline and mobile phone service from Jajah. As of today, users can no longer add new funds to their accounts, and active users who currently have a balance in their accounts will receive emailed instructions in December from Jajah on how to request a refund. You can find more information on how to ask for a refund here, and you can contact Jajah with any questions at yahoovoice@.... Free Messenger-to-Messenger calls will still be offered through Yahoo! Messenger.

            Thank you to everyone who have used these features. We plan to keep innovating and building great Yahoo! products that will delight our users in the years to come."

            http://www.ymessengerblog.com/blog/2012/11/30/updates-to-yahoo-messenger-features/

          • GT
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
              It's really sad they are going to close Yahoo Chat rooms, and I cannot agree with the statement that it's not adding enough value, infact I have seen and been part of some really good discussions in the chat rooms and made new like-minded friends. And the chatrooms are hardly empty, infact a lot of users log into chat rooms everyday and interact with different kinds of people. Yahoo doesn't need to modernize it, they can simply allow it to keep running, like Google does to quite a few of it's abandoned projects.

              Regards,
              Goutam

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
                In an interview she gave to CNN last week, Marissa specifically said that Yahoo! Groups was among the most used products with Mail, Messenger, and Sports. So I believe we should be fine :)

                http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/28/marissa-mayer-full-interview/
              • david gosling
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Hello, I hope so, Yahoo has it problems but it seems to be improving with this Lady.  David.