New Y!Mail inspired by Gmail in the work

  • guillaumebcom
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2012
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
        Just seen this post - very interested to see what comes out. A few thoughts:
        • shame we're talking about a redesign a year after the last one, but i guess if it needs it, so be it
        • this new design may explain the complete absence of updates since the current version was implemented.
        • Reading just the comments on the article you sent, you can see the problem yahoo has - the user base is so large that everyone has different requirements and experiences - some have spam issues, other don't, some want free IMAP without knowing that this is widely availbe (incredible Yahoo don't advertise this more), some still harbour after Classic (i.e. no change), etc...
        • I still think the key thing to stop people leaving Yahpoo is one of perception. Ultimately most email services are very similar - they just send and receive email using the same functions, and if you forced a person to use any system, they'd get used to it and it'd work fine. However, at the moment, people are switching from yahoo mail to gmail because it's perceived as being a lot better. It'll take a lot to reverse that process, I think.
        Anyhow, waiting to see what happens. December release date is interesting to hear. Very soon...

          Any change would be fine - maybe.  I tried the new email and hated the search 'feature' because it took more clicks than classic.  I also disliked the inability to have x messages per screen allowing a quick mark and move/delete operation on a selected number.  So I am still using classic via a backdoor bookmark.  It will be interesting to see the next try by Yahoo.

            > Any change would be fine - maybe.  I tried the new email and hated the search 'feature' because it took more clicks than classic.  I also disliked the inability to have x messages per screen allowing a quick mark and move/delete operation on a selected number.  So I am still using classic via a backdoor bookmark.  It will be interesting to see the next try by Yahoo.

          • Kenneth
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 24, 2012
              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Harryh <harryh89@...> wrote:

              > Any change would be fine - maybe.  I tried the new email and hated the search 'feature' because it took more clicks than classic.  I also disliked the inability to have x messages per screen allowing a quick mark and move/delete operation on a selected number.

              Actually the new or neo version of Yahoo! Mail does provide a page by page viewing option for displaying messages. You can select to view your messages in blocks of either 25, 50, 100, or 200 messages.

              To select this view in the neo version without having to revert to Classic, just click the Switch View icon at the top of the message listing and select "Page by Page (Classic)".

              Kenneth
            • Henrique Junior
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2012
                I'm amazed that you didn't liked the seach mecanism in Yahoo Mail. It is one of the best things I've ever used.

                --
                Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
                http://about.me/henriquejunior

                Any change would be fine - maybe.  I tried the new email and hated the search 'feature' because it took more clicks than classic.  I also disliked the inability to have x messages per screen allowing a quick mark and move/delete operation on a selected number.  So I am still using classic via a backdoor bookmark.  It will be interesting to see the next try by Yahoo.

                  The only I would really like to see is the tags. Folders are somewhat limiting.

                  Jayant

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Harryh <harryh89@...> wrote:

                  > Any change would be fine - maybe.  I tried the new email and hated the search 'feature' because it took more clicks than classic.  I also disliked the inability to have x messages per screen allowing a quick mark and move/delete operation on a selected number.  So I am still using classic via a backdoor bookmark.  It will be interesting to see the next try by Yahoo.

                • Harryh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
                    I do like the search function in Classic.  I can select what area to search (subject, to, from, etc.) and get mostly what I want.  The setup for my typical search is retained by my browser so it's easy to look for "[Y-Mail" quickly.  One page a few clicks and I'm done.  The neo search doesn't select by subject (or I'm just clueless), the "[" term doesn't seem to work as well and the page requires me to scroll down, deselecting a lot of items while classic makes that a one or two click setup.  I greatly prefer the classic search and is one reason I still use classic.

                    Any change would be fine - maybe.  I tried the new email and hated the search 'feature' because it took more clicks than classic.  I also disliked the inability to have x messages per screen allowing a quick mark and move/delete operation on a selected number.  So I am still using classic via a backdoor bookmark.  It will be interesting to see the next try by Yahoo.

                      Both would be best.  Folders allow me to hide a bunch of stuff I don't want to work with right away.  Gmail is quite difficult to move stuff easily to folders - a search gets my items but I can't move them into folders directly via a menu selection (or I'm too dumb to figure it out).

                          Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com