Mailer-daemon messages

  • jimbir
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2012
      I want to know what the error messages mean and what I have to correct to keep them from reoccurring. Is there a list that explains this? Can someone point me to a site that will do this?

      Thanks. Jim B.
    • Kenneth
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2012
        I've never worried too much about the mailer-daemon error codes. For my purposes the basic diagnosis is the same. I've sent an email to an email address that no longer exists. Or more typically, someone spoofing my email address as the sender has sent an email to addresses that don't exist. Actually, I think the text in these messages will sometimes give more information such as the email address doesn't exist or has been discontinued or the recipients mailbox is full.

        Kenneth

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jimbir" <jimbir@...> wrote:

        > I want to know what the error messages mean and what I have to correct to keep them from reoccurring. Is there a list that explains this? Can someone point me to a site that will do this?
        >
        > Thanks. Jim B.

      • Jim Birke
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2012
          Yes, The basic diagnosis explanes the problem well enough but what about
          the following:

          No MX or A records for murrayavaition.com

          or

          Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 xxxx@...: Recipient address rejected: aol.com [RCPT_TO]

          or

          Remote host said: 550 #5.7.1 Your access to submit messages to this e-mail system has been rejected. [RCPT_TO]

          Thanks. Jim B.

          On 10/10/2012 1:23 AM, Kenneth wrote:
          > I've never worried too much about the mailer-daemon error codes. For my purposes the basic diagnosis is the same. I've sent an email to an email address that no longer exists. Or more typically, someone spoofing my email address as the sender has sent an email to addresses that don't exist. Actually, I think the text in these messages will sometimes give more information such as the email address doesn't exist or has been discontinued or the recipients mailbox is full.
          >
          > Kenneth
          >
          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jimbir" <jimbir@...> wrote:
          >> I want to know what the error messages mean and what I have to correct to keep them from reoccurring. Is there a list that explains this? Can someone point me to a site that will do this?
          >>
          >> Thanks. Jim B.

        • Shal Farley
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2012
            Jim,

            > No MX or A records for murrayavaition.com

            That means "no such address". In technical terms, that domain wasn't found in the Domain Name System (DNS). MX records identify the Message Transfer Agents (the destination servers for email messages) for that domain. A records are generic Address records for host names.

            In that particular case, likely due to a typo: "aviation", not "avaition".

            > Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 xxxx@...: Recipient address rejected: aol.com [RCPT_TO]

            AOL says "Senders using scripts to remove unknown users automatically, should be looking for both the new error code and the old one." I've no idea what they mean by that.
            <http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php>

            > Remote host said: 550 #5.7.1 Your access to submit messages to this
            > e-mail system has been rejected. [RCPT_TO]

            This one seems to be associated with spam blacklists. The receiving email service has decided that the sender is not worthy to send messages to them.

            -- Shal