Re: [Y-Mail] No calendar tab yet

  • Donna Lee
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
      Everyone has their reason's for an interactive calendar. And no there is not an app for that. Yahoo or Gmail calendars are integrated with iPhone. No need for an extra app when you already have ( in my case) a calendar. Yahoo or Gmail is integrated with the calendar already with the iPhone. I use mine for pain patch reminders. Others have their reasons for an interactive calendar.

      Donna Ford Lee
      Tulsa, OK

      Laus Deo

      Sent Via Donna's iPhone

      On Oct 7, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Sasafrass452 <Sasafrass452@...> wrote:

      I know exactly what you mean.... If you need to keep track of appointments, I'm sure there's an iphone app that fits the bill. And there's always the good ol' wall calendar or post-it note ;) Seriously, what IS everyone complaining about?
      **Sasafrass452**
      http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
      http://sasafrass452.tumblr.com
      http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

    • Lorrie
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
        I agree.  What did you all do before computers - you used a paper calendar and pen and paper.  The way people are complaining about this makes it sound like the end of the world.  Silly!!!

        Blessed be,
        Lorrie

        Lorries Green World
        http://minilorrie.2itb.com
        Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

        --- On Sun, 10/7/12, Sasafrass452 <Sasafrass452@...> wrote:

        I know exactly what you mean.... If you need to keep track of appointments, I'm sure there's an iphone app that fits the bill. And there's always the good ol' wall calendar or post-it note ;) Seriously, what IS everyone complaining about?

      • Shal Farley
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
          Silk,

          > I have a very simple question... What good is this "Calendar" stuff.. i
          > mean is it more than the months and days of the year?

          I think what you're missing is reminders. The one thing an electronic calendar can do that a paper one can't -- get in your face. Whether it is a Yahoo Group calendar with group-related events, or your personal calendar. The Yahoo calendar can send you an email a week in advance to remind you to buy and mail that birthday present, or ring an alert on your smartphone to get to the meeting in ten minutes.

          A bit like the difference between a sundial and an alarm clock. Only more so.

          It is the integration of calendar events both in your computer (browser) and in your phone, so that you can manage the events from either interface, that makes a Yahoo (or Google) calendar more useful than just Sunbird sitting on my desktop. A simple desktop calendar app, like a paper calendar, is all too easily out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

          -- Shal
        • Henrique Junior
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
            I believe that you do not offended anyone, but it is easy to understand that if you use Yahoo Mail and if you are going to ever need a calendar one day, the best thing is to have one in hand, in your mail.
            The case pointed by Kenneth is a very good example. A working calendar is very important to some people and better if you don't have to use 3rd party apps to have it.

            --
            Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
            http://about.me/henriquejunior

            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
              And I ask again, what did people do before computers and the Internet??

              Lorrie

              Lorries Green World
              http://minilorrie.2itb.com
              Thompson, Manitoba, Canada
[...]

            • Rob Weigle
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                Some have expressed why an online calendar is what they are looking for. The reasons they gave are all valid. We all have different needs. To me, the snail's pace of the implementation of the calendar in a tab shows the lack of commitment Yahoo! has to their mail product. That they would announce something and then not deliver speaks volumes.
              • Henrique Junior
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                  Lorrie, and why people shoul keep doing things in the same ways as before the computers and the internet? I don't get your poiut here. It seems to me that you are suggesting that people should not use the technological resources we have available today just because we have things that worked in the past. Following this reasoning, why wait in lines at the airport if before the airplane people traveled by train? Why travel by train if before people traveled on horseback?
                  Nowadays, nobody will keep a paper calendar in the bag if it's much simpler to have some kind of computer at hand.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                    Well said Henrique... Let me add something... If you can't comprehend web calenders, why are you people using e-mail services... why don't you resort to old letters and postcards prevalent before computers and internet !!! Just because you don't require calender does not mean that every other person also do not / should not use web calender. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and all other major service providers are investing their money and time in developing and improving Calender feature. This is the basic justification of the fact that how many numbers of people using web calender.

                    We never criticized anyone for not using web calender.. because we understand that everybody has their own preference and uses... but the people not using web calender are constantly trying to prove that nobody requires web calender.. may be due to difference in the mindsets... pl do learn to respect other's preferences... pl give your constructive criticism instead of blind criticism...

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                      For me I forgot too many things especially medications that had to be taken every third day. If taken every day it was easier to remember!

                      I wish I had a good memory but I don't and I never have!

                      Donna Ford Lee
                      Tulsa, OK

                      Laus Deo

                      Sent Via Donna's iPhone

                      On Oct 7, 2012, at 3:58 PM, Lorrie <minilorrie@...> wrote:

                      And I ask again, what did people do before computers and the Internet??

                      Lorrie

                    • Silk
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                        Hi me Silk.. well Kenneth (I think) thanx for the explanation..
                        I see now why you enjoy your calendar.. I don't use one...
                        Of course you've heard it said that there will never be a paperless office.
                        and yes we got along just fine before the advent of the computer.. there was say keypunch..I expect that we'd be just fine today had the computer never been invented as we know know it.. I mean It has only been around (effectively) for say 20 or so years..
                        Yes it has made us in some ways a bit more efficient but also a bit more lazy mentally..
                        is this a good thing.. each must decide.. Einstein had no computer.. Tesla had no computer..Will the computer dumb us down? Has it.. What does it do essentially?
                        Fast calculations... It is only as good as the person who places the data in it..
                        Oh I know many techies who live and breathe technology..I say keep things in their proper perspective.. We got along for the greater portion of our survival sans a computer and could get along just fine without one.. perhaps even better.. many have become slaves to the thing.. many sit behind it all day.. many wouldn't know what to do without it.. some of us who have not become robots and still retain much of our "humanity" still walk in the park.. read a book by the fire side.. play with out dog.. take our wives to dinner.. Go down to lake fishing wiht our grandchildren.. play some chess in the park with our friends.. and i could go on.. am I being facetious? no however I do know people who are on that machine from the time they get up til they go to bed at night.. if they are not home they are on their mobile phone.. I see them no better off than what used to be the people behind the TV all day.. the couch potatoes as they were called. Sure the computer is useful but remember
                        it's for sending messages.. as in email.. the first computer was By the military.. giant thing. I could live without the email messages... handy that they are.. Louis pasteur had no computer.. nor did Jonas Salk (1955 vaccine) Leonardo di Vinci had no computer nor did Aristiotle..Fact.. for what most of us use the computer for... we could easily do with out it and our lives wouldn't be the worse for it.. maybe even the better..  I know for the computer groupies this may boil some blood.. the computer quite simply is not the end all and be all.
                        Dr Barnard didn't need one to transplant that 1st heart.. I believe you good peeps get the point.. I'm not anti technology but I sure do not want to see humanity dehumanized..
                        I don't want to see otherwise healthy kids who used to be outside "playing" glued to a monitor.. ask almost any kid whats the square root of 144 and they whip out their hand held apparatus..A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.........chao/Silk

                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Lorrie <minilorrie@...> wrote:

                          > And I ask again, what did people do before computers and the Internet??
                          >
                          > Lorrie

                          Lorrie,

                          Since you're asking this in response to my post, I guess you're asking what people did about their calendars before the internet.

                          There were and still are a variety of different paper calendars. Wall calendars of course are not very transportable but there are pocket calendars that are the size of a checkbook. These could be carried with a person, presumably in their pocket or purse.

                          But you already know this, don't you? Was the point of asking to jog my own memory about what we did before we had email and the internet? I do remember those days but I certainly have come to appreciate what I can do with the internet.

                          Probably my favorite feature of online calendars is the ability to organize different sets of events/appointments into different schedules or calendars. My full calendar with everything displayed is overwhelming if I'm looking for something in particular. But I have the option to "display only this calendar" in Google Calendar and that allows me to display clearly the subset of events I need to browse.

                          Another cool feature is the ability to change views from the standard month view to a week view or day view. I can even select to just display events in a list. These options are very useful to me. A pocket calendar wouldn't be as beneficial.

                          Kenneth
                        • Lorrie
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                            No I did not mean we should not use the technology of today.  What I meant was that worrying about whether the calendar works properly is really not much to have a fit about.  It will eventually work, till then we just need patience.  It is not worth running down Yahoo or any service and not worth getting sick about.

                            Lorrie

                            Lorries Green World
                            http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                            Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 9, 2012
                              Lorrie,
                              I didn't mean to be rude, but, again, that is your vision (I'm not worried about Yahoo Calender too), but people may have their own different needs and priorities.

                            • wordsletters@ymail.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 9, 2012
                                Hye Lorrie,
                                Before there were computers there was a little gadget called a day planner. You physically wrote down your appointments and schedules on the dated pages. It could hold info for you, your wife, kids, friends and meetings. I still use one, I don't want to find out some tech gadget has powered out and I've lost everything. People are getting so lazy and self-important that they need gadgets to do the work.

                                Meg

                                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth" <justkenneth@...> wrote:

                                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Lorrie <minilorrie@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > And I ask again, what did people do before computers and the Internet??
                                > >
                                > > Lorrie
                                > >

                                > Lorrie,
                                >
                                > Since you're asking this in response to my post, I guess you're asking what people did about their calendars before the internet.
                                >
                                > There were and still are a variety of different paper calendars. Wall calendars of course are not very transportable but there are pocket calendars that are the size of a checkbook. These could be carried with a person, presumably in their pocket or purse.
                                >
                                > But you already know this, don't you? Was the point of asking to jog my own memory about what we did before we had email and the internet? I do remember those days but I certainly have come to appreciate what I can do with the internet.
                                >
                                > Probably my favorite feature of online calendars is the ability to organize different sets of events/appointments into different schedules or calendars. My full calendar with everything displayed is overwhelming if I'm looking for something in particular. But I have the option to "display only this calendar" in Google Calendar and that allows me to display clearly the subset of events I need to browse.
                                >
                                > Another cool feature is the ability to change views from the standard month view to a week view or day view. I can even select to just display events in a list. These options are very useful to me. A pocket calendar wouldn't be as beneficial.
                                >
                                > Kenneth

                              • j_d_miller
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 12, 2012
                                  I just came here searching for a way to make my Yahoo!Calendar tab sticky on my main mail page.

                                  The Calendar appears to work for me, and I share mine with my wife's Yahoo! account.

                                  What is the part that doesn't work?

                                  -J