RE: [Y-Mail] No calendar tab yet

  • Robert Weigle
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 6, 2012

      But more surprising is the fact that you don't have an e-mail account with another webmail service.

      I need correct the impression you got. I DO have accounts with other webmail services. In fact, I am replying to this from a non-Yahoo account. I have not made this account a member of YMAIL so I send messages as if they come from Yahoo. I am curious what services people have selected and why. Before I go though the trouble of changing my email address I need those opinions. I am not happy with any service I have tried. All have problems that to me have made a switch to them more trouble than it is worth.
    • guillaumebcom
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 6, 2012
        I personnally find Gmail o be extremly slow and lagging. Those past two years it has become very sluggish for me.
        Outlook.com is actually pretty nice

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sumit Mehta <sumit.mehta@...> wrote:

        > Well I have Calendar tab since last one month. But more surprising is the fact that you don't have an e-mail account with another webmail service. I have e-mail accounts with almost all major the webmail service providers, for testing features and in some cases just to secure desired email id..  Yours is the hypothetical case of Yahoo! loyalty.
        >
        > Anyway, there is Gmail which is no doubt the best. Some people have privacy concerns about Gmail. That depends on personal preference and trade offs. But I think you may not get the desired mail address. You can try Outlook.com as well. Being new service, you may get desired e-mail id. Although it is Microsoft service, but this time they have seriously done some good work.

      • Peter Lebensold
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 6, 2012
          Like many here, I snapped up a Gmail account when I was first able, and - what with off-and-off problems with attachments in Yahoo Mail, I tend to turn to Gmail more and more frequently.  Having been a Google Calendar fan for some time, and my recent switch from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome (which I highly recommend), everything is now nicely integrated!

          Having said that, the new Hotmail also seems promising: Nicely thought out, with none of the frustrations that we're so used to in Yahoo Mail.
        • Sumit Mehta
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 6, 2012
            Thanks for the clarification... Happy to inform you that your Yahoo! Extreme Loyalty Certificate is being revoked.... LOL...

            In my case, I bought a domain and hosted with Google Apps since when it was in beta phase.. It uses Gmail Interface. All my professional mails are handled there. I was using Y-mail for my personal mails. The present Y-mail interface is not bad at all. I don't use Yahoo Calender, so I don't have problem with that. But after launch of Outlook.com, I have started migrating to outlook.com. The service is in beta phase and it is as promising as Gmail when it was in beta phase. So Outlook is also as good bet as Gmail. It has folders like Yahoo and labels like Gmail. It is closely integrated with facebook, twitter, skydrive, online office documents and lots of other features which Yahoo lacks. But the Metro style calender is not yet launched in outlook. Having regard to the pace of development, one can expect it in a month or two.

            It is to be seen how Yahoo will respond to the competition under the leadership of Marissa Mayer but no doubt, it will take time for yahoo to be back in business.

            But more surprising is the fact that you don't have an e-mail account with another webmail service.

            I need correct the impression you got. I DO have accounts with other webmail services. In fact, I am replying to this from a non-Yahoo account. I have not made this account a member of YMAIL so I send messages as if they come from Yahoo. I am curious what services people have selected and why. Before I go though the trouble of changing my email address I need those opinions. I am not happy with any service I have tried. All have problems that to me have made a switch to them more trouble than it is worth.

          • Silk
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
              Hi All.. silk here.. being no stranger to this list..I have a very simple question..
              What good is this "Calendar" stuff.. i mean is it more than the months and days of the year? I'm not joking am i missing something here.. Cause i just can't see for the life of me how any one with a computer in the year 2012 would be interested in a calendar unless that is it is much, much more than a series of 12 pages. each one for a month..
              Is there somethingnhere.. really........????

[...]

            • Sasafrass452
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                I know exactly what you mean.... If you need to keep track of appointments, I'm sure there's an iphone app that fits the bill. And there's always the good ol' wall calendar or post-it note ;) Seriously, what IS everyone complaining about?

                **Sasafrass452**
                http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                http://sasafrass452.tumblr.com
                http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
                On 10/07/2012 09:41 AM, Silk wrote:

[...]

              • Donna Lee
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                  I use my Yahoo calendar to send myself reminders such as changing my pain patch every three days. If I did not have that reminder I would never remember on my own! I also like birthday reminders. Since they are only once a year I would never remember that special friends birthday. :) What about doctor appointments - yes I too have a wall calendar but a reminder helps a lot too. There are several benefits in having a interactive calendar.

                  Donna Ford Lee
                  Tulsa, OK

                  Laus Deo

                  Sent Via Donna's iPhone

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                    Everyone has their reason's for an interactive calendar. And no there is not an app for that. Yahoo or Gmail calendars are integrated with iPhone. No need for an extra app when you already have ( in my case) a calendar. Yahoo or Gmail is integrated with the calendar already with the iPhone. I use mine for pain patch reminders. Others have their reasons for an interactive calendar.

                    Donna Ford Lee
                    Tulsa, OK

                    Laus Deo

                    Sent Via Donna's iPhone

                    On Oct 7, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Sasafrass452 <Sasafrass452@...> wrote:

                    I know exactly what you mean.... If you need to keep track of appointments, I'm sure there's an iphone app that fits the bill. And there's always the good ol' wall calendar or post-it note ;) Seriously, what IS everyone complaining about?
                    **Sasafrass452**
                    http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                    http://sasafrass452.tumblr.com
                    http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                  • Lorrie
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                      I agree.  What did you all do before computers - you used a paper calendar and pen and paper.  The way people are complaining about this makes it sound like the end of the world.  Silly!!!

                      Blessed be,
                      Lorrie

                      Lorries Green World
                      http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                      Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

                      --- On Sun, 10/7/12, Sasafrass452 <Sasafrass452@...> wrote:

                      I know exactly what you mean.... If you need to keep track of appointments, I'm sure there's an iphone app that fits the bill. And there's always the good ol' wall calendar or post-it note ;) Seriously, what IS everyone complaining about?

                    • Henrique Junior
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                        Maybe people just WANT to have calendar. To me that is a very good reason.
                        Calendar is a feature that is taking too long to arrive, so it is understandable why people is so upset about it. It's not up to anyone to decide what people should (or should not) care about.

                        --
                        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
                        http://about.me/henriquejunior

[...]

                      • Shal Farley
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                          Silk,

                          > I have a very simple question... What good is this "Calendar" stuff.. i
                          > mean is it more than the months and days of the year?

                          I think what you're missing is reminders. The one thing an electronic calendar can do that a paper one can't -- get in your face. Whether it is a Yahoo Group calendar with group-related events, or your personal calendar. The Yahoo calendar can send you an email a week in advance to remind you to buy and mail that birthday present, or ring an alert on your smartphone to get to the meeting in ten minutes.

                          A bit like the difference between a sundial and an alarm clock. Only more so.

                          It is the integration of calendar events both in your computer (browser) and in your phone, so that you can manage the events from either interface, that makes a Yahoo (or Google) calendar more useful than just Sunbird sitting on my desktop. A simple desktop calendar app, like a paper calendar, is all too easily out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

                          -- Shal
                        • justkenneth
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                            Silk and Sassafrass,

                            I'll try to explain the importance of the calendar stuff.

                            An online calendar is not a substitute for a wall calendar. It's not about just being able to look online at the current month to see what the date is or being able to look ahead to see what day of the week someone's birthday falls on. Rather, an online calendar is a utility which helps us schedule and keep track of our appointments and events.

                            For example, my wife and I have five children. Three of our children are working. Neither my wife nor our three working children have regular 9 to 5 jobs. Their work schedule varies from week to week, including what days of the week they work, what hours they work, and what location they'll be reporting to when they work. In addition, my wife and two of my children are attending college and their class schedules are all different. My youngest son, who isn't working, also has events that need tracking. He is in band in high school which requires attending various sporting events and also attending various parades. He also has religious education classes he needs to attend.

                            Because our family is so busy with different schedules for different activities for different people, we have a lot of appointments and events that we need to track. A wall calendar would be useless for this, not only because there wouldn't be enough room for everything but also because it would be stuck on a wall somewhere and not available when people are in different locations and need to check something. Keep in mind too that schedules are always getting adjusted as some appointments get canceled and others take their place. Even if we could fit everything on a wall calendar using pencil and eraser or sticky notes, it would be difficult to filter through everything on there to see what someone's work schedule is for the next week.

                            With an online calendar utility, you can actually create separate schedules for each person to display on the calendar. You can even create separate schedules for each person's different activitiy types. I have separate schedules for each persons work schedule and school schedule. If I need to know what my wife's work schedule is, I can click an option to display just that schedule so that it's easy to view without the clutter of all the other events. If I need to know what my son's band schedule, I can select to view just that. Also, reminders can be sent prior to each event by email or text message. Also, the calendar is accessible from any computer or by phone.

                            A wall calendar with sticky notes may be sufficient for some people though I expect even they could benefit from an online calendar with reminders. But for some families a wall calendar just won't work.

                            Kenneth

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                              Well, I do see your point.... In your situation, a web calendar is best. I didn't mean to offend anyone!

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                                I believe that you do not offended anyone, but it is easy to understand that if you use Yahoo Mail and if you are going to ever need a calendar one day, the best thing is to have one in hand, in your mail.
                                The case pointed by Kenneth is a very good example. A working calendar is very important to some people and better if you don't have to use 3rd party apps to have it.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                                  And I ask again, what did people do before computers and the Internet??

                                  Lorrie

                                  Lorries Green World
                                  http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                                  Thompson, Manitoba, Canada
[...]

                                • Rob Weigle
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 7, 2012
                                    Some have expressed why an online calendar is what they are looking for. The reasons they gave are all valid. We all have different needs. To me, the snail's pace of the implementation of the calendar in a tab shows the lack of commitment Yahoo! has to their mail product. That they would announce something and then not deliver speaks volumes.
                                  • Henrique Junior
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                                      Lorrie, and why people shoul keep doing things in the same ways as before the computers and the internet? I don't get your poiut here. It seems to me that you are suggesting that people should not use the technological resources we have available today just because we have things that worked in the past. Following this reasoning, why wait in lines at the airport if before the airplane people traveled by train? Why travel by train if before people traveled on horseback?
                                      Nowadays, nobody will keep a paper calendar in the bag if it's much simpler to have some kind of computer at hand.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                                        Well said Henrique... Let me add something... If you can't comprehend web calenders, why are you people using e-mail services... why don't you resort to old letters and postcards prevalent before computers and internet !!! Just because you don't require calender does not mean that every other person also do not / should not use web calender. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and all other major service providers are investing their money and time in developing and improving Calender feature. This is the basic justification of the fact that how many numbers of people using web calender.

                                        We never criticized anyone for not using web calender.. because we understand that everybody has their own preference and uses... but the people not using web calender are constantly trying to prove that nobody requires web calender.. may be due to difference in the mindsets... pl do learn to respect other's preferences... pl give your constructive criticism instead of blind criticism...

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                                          For me I forgot too many things especially medications that had to be taken every third day. If taken every day it was easier to remember!

                                          I wish I had a good memory but I don't and I never have!

                                          Donna Ford Lee
                                          Tulsa, OK

                                          Laus Deo

                                          Sent Via Donna's iPhone

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                                            Hi me Silk.. well Kenneth (I think) thanx for the explanation..
                                            I see now why you enjoy your calendar.. I don't use one...
                                            Of course you've heard it said that there will never be a paperless office.
                                            and yes we got along just fine before the advent of the computer.. there was say keypunch..I expect that we'd be just fine today had the computer never been invented as we know know it.. I mean It has only been around (effectively) for say 20 or so years..
                                            Yes it has made us in some ways a bit more efficient but also a bit more lazy mentally..
                                            is this a good thing.. each must decide.. Einstein had no computer.. Tesla had no computer..Will the computer dumb us down? Has it.. What does it do essentially?
                                            Fast calculations... It is only as good as the person who places the data in it..
                                            Oh I know many techies who live and breathe technology..I say keep things in their proper perspective.. We got along for the greater portion of our survival sans a computer and could get along just fine without one.. perhaps even better.. many have become slaves to the thing.. many sit behind it all day.. many wouldn't know what to do without it.. some of us who have not become robots and still retain much of our "humanity" still walk in the park.. read a book by the fire side.. play with out dog.. take our wives to dinner.. Go down to lake fishing wiht our grandchildren.. play some chess in the park with our friends.. and i could go on.. am I being facetious? no however I do know people who are on that machine from the time they get up til they go to bed at night.. if they are not home they are on their mobile phone.. I see them no better off than what used to be the people behind the TV all day.. the couch potatoes as they were called. Sure the computer is useful but remember
                                            it's for sending messages.. as in email.. the first computer was By the military.. giant thing. I could live without the email messages... handy that they are.. Louis pasteur had no computer.. nor did Jonas Salk (1955 vaccine) Leonardo di Vinci had no computer nor did Aristiotle..Fact.. for what most of us use the computer for... we could easily do with out it and our lives wouldn't be the worse for it.. maybe even the better..  I know for the computer groupies this may boil some blood.. the computer quite simply is not the end all and be all.
                                            Dr Barnard didn't need one to transplant that 1st heart.. I believe you good peeps get the point.. I'm not anti technology but I sure do not want to see humanity dehumanized..
                                            I don't want to see otherwise healthy kids who used to be outside "playing" glued to a monitor.. ask almost any kid whats the square root of 144 and they whip out their hand held apparatus..A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.........chao/Silk

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Lorrie <minilorrie@...> wrote:

                                              > And I ask again, what did people do before computers and the Internet??
                                              >
                                              > Lorrie

                                              Lorrie,

                                              Since you're asking this in response to my post, I guess you're asking what people did about their calendars before the internet.

                                              There were and still are a variety of different paper calendars. Wall calendars of course are not very transportable but there are pocket calendars that are the size of a checkbook. These could be carried with a person, presumably in their pocket or purse.

                                              But you already know this, don't you? Was the point of asking to jog my own memory about what we did before we had email and the internet? I do remember those days but I certainly have come to appreciate what I can do with the internet.

                                              Probably my favorite feature of online calendars is the ability to organize different sets of events/appointments into different schedules or calendars. My full calendar with everything displayed is overwhelming if I'm looking for something in particular. But I have the option to "display only this calendar" in Google Calendar and that allows me to display clearly the subset of events I need to browse.

                                              Another cool feature is the ability to change views from the standard month view to a week view or day view. I can even select to just display events in a list. These options are very useful to me. A pocket calendar wouldn't be as beneficial.

                                              Kenneth
                                            • Lorrie
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 8, 2012
                                                No I did not mean we should not use the technology of today.  What I meant was that worrying about whether the calendar works properly is really not much to have a fit about.  It will eventually work, till then we just need patience.  It is not worth running down Yahoo or any service and not worth getting sick about.

                                                Lorrie

                                                Lorries Green World
                                                http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                                                Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 9, 2012
                                                  Lorrie,
                                                  I didn't mean to be rude, but, again, that is your vision (I'm not worried about Yahoo Calender too), but people may have their own different needs and priorities.

                                                • wordsletters@ymail.com
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 9, 2012
                                                    Hye Lorrie,
                                                    Before there were computers there was a little gadget called a day planner. You physically wrote down your appointments and schedules on the dated pages. It could hold info for you, your wife, kids, friends and meetings. I still use one, I don't want to find out some tech gadget has powered out and I've lost everything. People are getting so lazy and self-important that they need gadgets to do the work.

                                                    Meg

                                                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth" <justkenneth@...> wrote:

                                                    > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Lorrie <minilorrie@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > And I ask again, what did people do before computers and the Internet??
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Lorrie
                                                    > >

                                                    > Lorrie,
                                                    >
                                                    > Since you're asking this in response to my post, I guess you're asking what people did about their calendars before the internet.
                                                    >
                                                    > There were and still are a variety of different paper calendars. Wall calendars of course are not very transportable but there are pocket calendars that are the size of a checkbook. These could be carried with a person, presumably in their pocket or purse.
                                                    >
                                                    > But you already know this, don't you? Was the point of asking to jog my own memory about what we did before we had email and the internet? I do remember those days but I certainly have come to appreciate what I can do with the internet.
                                                    >
                                                    > Probably my favorite feature of online calendars is the ability to organize different sets of events/appointments into different schedules or calendars. My full calendar with everything displayed is overwhelming if I'm looking for something in particular. But I have the option to "display only this calendar" in Google Calendar and that allows me to display clearly the subset of events I need to browse.
                                                    >
                                                    > Another cool feature is the ability to change views from the standard month view to a week view or day view. I can even select to just display events in a list. These options are very useful to me. A pocket calendar wouldn't be as beneficial.
                                                    >
                                                    > Kenneth

                                                  • j_d_miller
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Oct 12, 2012
                                                      I just came here searching for a way to make my Yahoo!Calendar tab sticky on my main mail page.

                                                      The Calendar appears to work for me, and I share mine with my wife's Yahoo! account.

                                                      What is the part that doesn't work?

                                                      -J