Re: [Y-Mail] Hacked

  • Shal Farley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2012
      GB'

      > Someone sent spam to everyone I have ever contacted on Y-mail.

      Unfortunately, all too common an occurrence.

      > I need to change the password. i can probably figure that out.

      You might also find this informative, to verify what happened.

      "How to tell who has been logging in to your Account"
      <<http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&page=content&id=SLN2073>http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?y=PROD_MAIL_ML&page=content&id=SLN2073>

      > How can I contact everyone I have contacted through Y-mail and tell them what happened?

      That's a touchy one, because a mass mailing like that can itself be misinterpreted as spam. Depending on the content of the spam that went out, I might not bother -- figuring that everyone who got it recognized it for what it is and simply deleted it.

      On the other hand, I have a friend who had this happen and the message that went out was a scam, claiming the friend was stuck without her purse on a business trip. One of her kind-hearted relatives actually wired money to the crooks. So a selective follow-up might be worthwhile.

      > How can I report this?

      You don't really need to report it. If the spam went out from your account all Yahoo would do is suspend your account to prevent more spam. What you do need to do though is regain control of your account.

      "What to do if your account is sending spam"
      <<http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_US&id=SLN3417&impressions=true>http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&id=SLN3417>

      > I read on Spam Cop's site that I need all the headers from the email?

      SpamCop is for the people that received the spam messages directly. You don't have the necessary headers, unless the message also went to you at another address.

      Again, I don't think it is advisable to report your own account as having sent spam.

      But if you do receive spam from someone else, the method for accessing the full headers varies with the email service you use. With Yahoo Mail, open the message and then click on the actions button (above the message, icon looks like a wheel, with teeth like a gear). Select View Full Header. Type Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C (select all, copy). That puts the header info onto your clipboard where you can paste it into SpamCop's form (the upper box). Separately copy the message content and paste it into the lower box on SpamCop's form.

      > Is this something else than what is on the email if I press Reply or Forward?

      Yes, generally a lot more. The full headers contain routing information that can reveal the actual origin of the message so that the originating service can be notified to suspend the offending account.

      > Anything else AI should do?

      I recommend setting up second sign-in verification. This is a strong defence against other people trying to access your account.

      "What is Second Sign-in Verification"
      <<http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN6282&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1347747997590&locale=en_US&y=PROD_ACCT>http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN6282&y=PROD_ACCT>

      -- Shal