Re: [Y-Mail] Y! Mail might soon see an active development

  • Henrique Junior
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
      Great news! It is good to see Yahoo changing focus and looking for innovation instead of just media.

      --
      Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
      http://about.me/henriquejunior

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
        "In a note sent to all employees at 12:45 AM Saturday morning, new-ish
        Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer announced a program called "PB&J" that she
        hopes will make Yahoo "the absolute best place to work.""
        I hope that, as the CEO, she had not to deal with that limit to not send messages to more than 100 contacts at a time. haha

        --
        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
        http://about.me/henriquejunior

        >________________________________

      • Shal Farley
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
          guillaumebcom,

          > FYI. Dogfooding means giving the user the ability to test out a beta
          > version of Yahoo! Mail before it launched to the public.

          No, dogfooding means that the company and particularly the developers are active users of the product. As in "eating one's own dog food".
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food>

          In Yahoo's case that obviously applies to Mail and Calendar, and to a lesser degree Groups as well.

          Whether it is effective as a development or quality control practice is arguable, but it undoubtedly has symbolic value -- especially where the alternative is using a competitor's product internally.

          -- Shal
        • Shal Farley
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
            Henrique,

            > "In a note sent to all employees at 12:45 AM Saturday morning, new-ish
            > Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer announced a program called "PB&J" that she
            > hopes will make Yahoo "the absolute best place to work.""
            > I hope that, as the CEO, she had not to deal with that limit to not send
            > messages to more than 100 contacts at a time. haha

            Heh.

            As an example of dogfooding, all such internal distributions should be handled via Yahoo's mailing list product -- Yahoo Groups. ;-)

            -- Shal
          • justkenneth
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2012
              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

              > Heh.
              >
              > As an example of dogfooding, all such internal distributions should be handled via Yahoo's mailing list product -- Yahoo Groups. ;-)
              >
              > -- Shal

              Imagine the chaos that would ensue if they used Groups calendars to schedule their internal meetings. They would surely be motivated to get calendars working correctly if they could ever manage to meet together to discuss the problems. :)

              Kenneth
            • sy1bzbn
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2012
                And if by "dogfooding" it means they will use the free YMail version with Flash ads internally, I'm all for it.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 29, 2012

                  Ha ha – good point!