Y! Mail might soon see an active development

  • guillaumebcom
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
      The idea of dogfooding Yahoo! Mail and Calendar was brought by Marissa Mayer herself. The Yahoo! CEO sent an email to her employee so that they make suggestions.

      Excerpt from > http://is.gd/l2mMdy
      ------------------------------------

      "What's on your wish list for our corporate culture and work environment?
      For example:
      GitHub for Code Review
      Dogfooding Yahoo! Mail & Calendar
      SSD's (Solid State Drives) for faster machines
      Mi-Fi's (mobile wi-fi cards)"

      FYI. Dogfooding means giving the user the ability to test out a beta version of Yahoo! Mail before it launched to the public. Microsoft dogfood Hotmail before they release new features for instance
    • Henrique Junior
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
        Great news! It is good to see Yahoo changing focus and looking for innovation instead of just media.

        --
        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
        http://about.me/henriquejunior

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
          "In a note sent to all employees at 12:45 AM Saturday morning, new-ish
          Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer announced a program called "PB&J" that she
          hopes will make Yahoo "the absolute best place to work.""
          I hope that, as the CEO, she had not to deal with that limit to not send messages to more than 100 contacts at a time. haha

          --
          Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
          http://about.me/henriquejunior

          >________________________________

        • Shal Farley
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
            guillaumebcom,

            > FYI. Dogfooding means giving the user the ability to test out a beta
            > version of Yahoo! Mail before it launched to the public.

            No, dogfooding means that the company and particularly the developers are active users of the product. As in "eating one's own dog food".
            <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food>

            In Yahoo's case that obviously applies to Mail and Calendar, and to a lesser degree Groups as well.

            Whether it is effective as a development or quality control practice is arguable, but it undoubtedly has symbolic value -- especially where the alternative is using a competitor's product internally.

            -- Shal
          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2012
              Henrique,

              > "In a note sent to all employees at 12:45 AM Saturday morning, new-ish
              > Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer announced a program called "PB&J" that she
              > hopes will make Yahoo "the absolute best place to work.""
              > I hope that, as the CEO, she had not to deal with that limit to not send
              > messages to more than 100 contacts at a time. haha

              Heh.

              As an example of dogfooding, all such internal distributions should be handled via Yahoo's mailing list product -- Yahoo Groups. ;-)

              -- Shal
            • justkenneth
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2012
                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

                > Heh.
                >
                > As an example of dogfooding, all such internal distributions should be handled via Yahoo's mailing list product -- Yahoo Groups. ;-)
                >
                > -- Shal

                Imagine the chaos that would ensue if they used Groups calendars to schedule their internal meetings. They would surely be motivated to get calendars working correctly if they could ever manage to meet together to discuss the problems. :)

                Kenneth
              • sy1bzbn
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 28, 2012
                  And if by "dogfooding" it means they will use the free YMail version with Flash ads internally, I'm all for it.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 29, 2012

                    Ha ha – good point!