Impressions about Yahoo Calendar?

  • Henrique Junior
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012
      Maybe Yahoo Calendar is coming too late (that boat has sailed a long time ago to me), but I have to be fair and admit that Y! Calendar is a good product.
      It is not well integrated with Yahoo Mail, but nor are Google Calendar and Hotmail Calendar.
      As a software, I believe that Yahoo Calendar have a good looking, with a clean and concise interface and well balanced features. It is intuitive and easy to use.
      Through the year, Google Calendar have gained a lot o good features, but one thing that annoys me in the Google product it that it is becoming too complicated, too full of little things to be in the way when the medium user just wants to keep track of his appointments. In general, The look and feel of Google Calendar is awful.
      As a software, Google Calendar is more powerful, with much more features, but with a bad, not well designed interface and Yahoo Calendar have a good interface, with, probably, all you'll need, but too late to keep his users and some steps behind in technology.

      --
      Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
      http://about.me/henriquejunior
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
        Agree - Gmail calendar is awful but it works smoothly in my galaxy and sync with outlook goes well. Although i am a pro user of y!mail for the last 10 years, they lost me with the calendar years ago. Recently I quit outlook buy still not convinced yahoo calendar is the answer.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Henrique Junior <henriquecsj@...> wrote:

        > Maybe Yahoo Calendar is
        > coming too late (that boat has sailed a long time ago to me), but I
        > have to be fair and admit that Y! Calendar is a good product.
        > It is not well
        > integrated with Yahoo Mail, but nor are Google Calendar and Hotmail
        > Calendar.
        > As a software, I
        > believe that Yahoo Calendar have a good looking, with a clean and
        > concise interface and well balanced features. It is intuitive and
        > easy to use.
        > Through the year, Google Calendar have gained a lot o good features, but one thing that
        > annoys me in the Google product it that it is becoming too
        > complicated, too full of little things to be in the way when the
        > medium user just wants to keep track of his appointments. In general, The
        > look and feel of Google Calendar is awful.
        > As a software, Google
        > Calendar is more powerful, with much more features, but with a bad,
        > not well designed interface and Yahoo Calendar have a good interface,
        > with, probably, all you'll need, but too late to keep his users and
        > some steps behind in technology.
        >
        > --
        > Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
        > http://about.me/henriquejunior

      • guillaumebcom
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
          I have to disagree on this one. Here are two reasons why :

          1 - Being able to drag and drop an event which last several days is extremly convenient in Gcal with the month view. By opposition you have to fill in all the details in Yahoo with the start day and the end day, requiring you to pick a day, a month blah blah... just not easy at all in my opinion.

          2 - I also like the ability to quickly enter an event in Gcal with smart keywords like "Dinner with Michael 7pm tomorrow".. and boom there is it !

          Now if only there was a true standard which would enable us to "really" sync our calendars independently of the read/write access rights... I can't, for instance, transfert a private, shared Google calendar in Yahoo! Mail though I can retrieve delegates calendars like this one in Apple Calendar Software... Stupid. Also I should be able to choose where to add a calendar invite independently of the software/service it was sent from. For example I should be able to add a Google invite to my Yahoo! Calendar or vice-versa. Why are Yahoo, Google or MS forcing me to use their services ?

          There is still a long time before calendar standards gives us as much flexibility as email standards...When they will have understood this then maybe more people will be using their software.

          So in fine, I'm not that excited about this yet-not-release new feature
        • justkenneth
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
            Yahoo! Calendar, Google Calendar, and Outlook/Hotmail Calendar all lack the one feature I'd most like to have - recurring tasks/to-do's.

            It seems like an obviously useful feature. So many of life's tasks or to-do's are recurring tasks, e.g., paying bills. I'd like to be able to check off a paid bill while the rest of the bills in that series remain unchecked until I've actually paid them.

            As it stands though, I do prefer Google Calendar's implementation of tasks over Yahoo! Calendar's implementation of to-do's. Google's ability to display tasks in the calendar view is better than Yahoo!'s display of to-do's only via a sidebar.

            Kenneth

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "guillaumebcom" <guillaume@...> wrote:

            > I have to disagree on this one. Here are two reasons why :
            >
            > 1 - Being able to drag and drop an event which last several days is extremly convenient in Gcal with the month view. By opposition you have to fill in all the details in Yahoo with the start day and the end day, requiring you to pick a day, a month blah blah... just not easy at all in my opinion.
            >
            > 2 - I also like the ability to quickly enter an event in Gcal with smart keywords like "Dinner with Michael 7pm tomorrow".. and boom there is it !
            >
            > Now if only there was a true standard which would enable us to "really" sync our calendars independently of the read/write access rights... I can't, for instance, transfert a private, shared Google calendar in Yahoo! Mail though I can retrieve delegates calendars like this one in Apple Calendar Software... Stupid. Also I should be able to choose where to add a calendar invite independently of the software/service it was sent from. For example I should be able to add a Google invite to my Yahoo! Calendar or vice-versa. Why are Yahoo, Google or MS forcing me to use their services ?
            >
            > There is still a long time before calendar standards gives us as much flexibility as email standards...When they will have understood this then maybe more people will be using their software.
            >
            > So in fine, I'm not that excited about this yet-not-release new feature

          • askey.erskine
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 22, 2012
              Seems like the only way to achieve an integrated calander is for an outside vendor to build one and allow both Google and Yahoo! and anyone else to access it. I wonder if AOL still has any R&D money available? Actually, this seems like a concept that a free open source lab should tackle.

              I still, like many, use a paper day planner, wall calanders and so on. I have some decent software that would let me create a calander for my church, for instance - but I have to enter the events by hand and the result isn't even a PDF (in my old version, anyway), although I can use a PDF "printer" for that. Great for photocopying, or email as an attachment or posting to a web site as a static document. But ideally, a church member should be able to click on a birthday and connect to a birthday card provider to send a virtual card.

              It would be great if the program allowed you to connect your Facebook and Google + contacts and automatically fill in the significant dates. LinkedIn and other social services as well.

              I like the idea of managing repeating tasks like bill pay reminders, seasonal chores (winterize the pool? Clean the furnace?) as well as single time tasks.

              I have both the Google and Yahoo! Calendars, and find the Yahoo interface clean and elegant. And I pay for Yahoo! so I have motivation to keep it. The Yahoo! Widgets has a calander app that works great on my desktop - its a shame they pulled the plug on these toys. It seems you can't even download any of the already-developed gadgets any more! The desktop widget pops up a reminder for my events, reading from my calander. Not sure how deep into my calender it goes, but it seems to show dated tasks also.

              So - we're stuck with two different universes, that are both far from perfect, and won't talk to each other. Welcome to reality. Sigh.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 23, 2012
                That is one of the best parts in this community: a nice collection of points of view with a lot of good arguments.

                --
                Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
                http://about.me/henriquejunior

                Yahoo! Calendar, Google Calendar, and Outlook/Hotmail Calendar all lack the one feature I'd most like to have - recurring tasks/to-do's.

                It seems like an obviously useful feature. So many of life's tasks or to-do's are recurring tasks, e.g., paying bills. I'd like to be able to check off a paid bill while the rest of the bills in that series remain unchecked until I've actually paid them.

                As it stands though, I do prefer Google Calendar's implementation of tasks over Yahoo! Calendar's implementation of to-do's. Google's ability to display tasks in the calendar view is better than Yahoo!'s display of to-do's only via a sidebar.

                Kenneth

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "guillaumebcom" <guillaume@...> wrote:

                > I have to disagree on this one. Here are two reasons why :
                >
                > 1 - Being able to drag and drop an event which last several days is extremly convenient in Gcal with the month view. By opposition you have to fill in all the details in Yahoo with the start day and the end day, requiring you to pick a day, a month blah blah... just not easy at all in my opinion.
                >
                > 2 - I also like the ability to quickly enter an event in Gcal with smart keywords like "Dinner with Michael 7pm tomorrow".. and boom there is it !
                >
                > Now if only there was a true standard which would enable us to "really" sync our calendars independently of the read/write access rights... I can't, for instance, transfert a private, shared Google calendar in Yahoo! Mail though I can retrieve delegates calendars like this one in Apple Calendar Software... Stupid. Also I should be able to choose where to add a calendar invite independently of the software/service it was sent from. For example I should be able to add a Google invite to my Yahoo! Calendar or vice-versa. Why are Yahoo, Google or MS forcing me to use their services ?
                >
                > There is still a long time before calendar standards gives us as much flexibility as email standards...When they will have understood this then maybe more people will be using their software.
                >
                > So in fine, I'm not that excited about this yet-not-release new feature

              • sy1bzbn
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "justkenneth" <justkenneth@...> wrote:

                  > Yahoo! Calendar, Google Calendar, and Outlook/Hotmail Calendar all lack the one feature I'd most like to have - recurring tasks/to-do's.

                  Have you tried using "All-Day" event for that? You'll also get the benefit of having it displayed at the top of the calendar day.
                • justkenneth
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
                    Using all-day events, which can be setup as recurring, in place of tasks is a messy workaround.

                    What I want is a task to appear on my calendar with a box next to it which I can then check-off when it's completed. And I want the ability to make the task recurring, e.g., a monthly bill payment, so that I can check off the one instance of the task that is now completed but leave the other future (or past) instances unchecked. This feature would be consistent with how most of us live our lives, i.e., a series of recurring tasks that get completed or left uncompleted one task at a time.

                    I've tried using recurring events and just going into edit of the completed task to add the word "DONE" or something like that and then saving it for that instance only. It's not a great workaround. It's easy to make a mistake and then overwrite and confuse the entire series of recurring pseudo-task events.

                    Kenneth

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
                      Does Yahoo Calendar lost the feature of sending reminders via SMS?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
                        Maybe I am missing something but why don't simply create a new calendar and call it "Tasks" ...?
                      • justkenneth
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "guillaumebcom" <guillaume@...> wrote:

                          > Maybe I am missing something but why don't simply create a new calendar and call it "Tasks" ...?

                          Yes, I can create a "tasks" calendar in order to implement tasks/to-do's using events. That would allow them to be displayed in the calendar view and they can also be recurring since they are really events. But they would still lack the feature of tasks/to-do's that I want to keep, i.e., check boxes that I can check off to indicate task completion.

                          Kenneth
                        • Paula McCartney Barger
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
                            As a Franklin Covey trained time management system user, tasks and calendar events are NOT the same thing.

                            Tasks should be repeatable, allowing for the task to be checked off and reset for the next scheduled day to perform said task.

                            Palm and Microsoft Outlook used to have the same feature, but Palm dumped it when they came out with the new interface for the Palm Pre (and then sold out to HP instead of developing WebOS the way it should have, but that's another rant).  MO still has that feature, as does FC's online planning system.  Unfortunately, Yahoo, Google and Hotmail/Outlook.com did not see fit to make their calendars conform to accepted planning system standards.

                            Paula Barger
                            For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and of a sound mind. 2 Tim. 1:7

                            To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
                            From: justkenneth@...
                            Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 19:11:56 +0000