Re: [Y-Mail] Still no integrated calendar !!!

  • Sumit Mehta
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 9, 2012
      It is now two and half year, and still we are waiting for calendar tab... I really forgot that post... ;) winking

      By the way I am upgraded to a new y-mail version and that too without Calender Tab :

      Neo Version:
      Build number: 2.28.0.5144
      Build time: Thu Aug  2 15:18:22 PDT 2012

      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 16, 2012
        The popup doesn't bother me as much, as I often switch to agendar view or day view when I want to view my schedule in details. It is their lack of integration with mobile that bothers me.

        On Androids, GCal syncing is built in, and it includes a nice-looking and easy to use widget for display. I am not sure about iPhones, but I guess it should be trivial to sync with GCal using iCal format.

        Yahoo never presented itself as a viable option to either mobile platforms. Calendar without offline access and sync is a joke. However, that is not the worst part. What hurts the most is that Yahoo has all these nice separate components that did not integrate well with each other, and still don't. They don't integrate on the desktop, and they don't integrate on the mobile platform.

        I tried to imagine what to expect from an integrated experience, and for me at least, it goes something like this:

        1. Received a memo in email
        2. If there were info needed to be clarified, I can hit reply and 2 path should be available to me. One is reply via email. The other is if the person's YM status is online and not busy, it should allow me to YM the person directly.
        3. Within both Mail and YM, I should be able to highlight info, long-press on the highlight, and be presented the option to create a new item on the tasklist or calendar.
        4. Same goes with notifications from social updates. Long-press on selected item and I should be able to put it on my tasklist and calendar, and forward it via YMail and YM.
        5. Within calendar, I should be able to long-press on an event, and be able to forward it via YMail, YM, or social update.

        I know this is just the basics, and it needs refinement, but AFAIK no one else is doing this yet. Why Yahoo hasn't been chasing after something like this since the smartphone revolution began is beyond me. Let's hope someone read this and actually came up with a REAL strategy.