Re: [Y-Mail] solicitation to chat

  • adeomus ********
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 13, 2012

      YES !!!!!
      it really gets on my nerves.

      Ekatn,
      may every fibre of my Being
      be infused with Your Essence...
      You looking through my eyes
       ever and always, always and ever.

      --- On Fri, 7/13/12, Joseph Singer <weekilter@...> wrote:

      From: Joseph Singer <weekilter@...>
      Subject: [Y-Mail] solicitation to chat
      To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com

      Is there a tweak in Y! mail to keep people from soliciting chat?  I'm getting lots of these from people I don't know.  Thanks!

      --
      - -
      Joseph Singer, Seattle, Washington USA

    • Joseph Singer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14, 2012
        But does Yahoo! have any solution or are we stuck with this harassment?

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 14, 2012
          >Is there a tweak in Y! mail to keep people from soliciting chat?
           I'm getting lots of these from people I don't know.  Thanks!
          In the Messenger options you can set to block all users not in your address book. If a  person not in your address book wants to chat with you, they will have to send you an email and wait for you to update your address book.
        • adeomus ********
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 14, 2012

            i don't even have messenger, so can't even block !
            (or chat of any kind).
            tried messenger, hated it ( too frenetic)...
            and still kept getting this stuff form people i never heard of !!

            Ekatn,
            may every fibre of my Being
            be infused with Your Essence...
            You looking through my eyes
             ever and always, always and ever.

            >Is there a tweak in Y! mail to keep people from soliciting chat?
             I'm getting lots of these from people I don't know.  Thanks!
            In the Messenger options you can set to block all users not in your address book. If a  person not in your address book wants to chat with you, they will have to send you an email and wait for you to update your address book.

                Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

          • b l
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15, 2012
              And the most maddening is the lousy interface when somebody wants to chat. I really don't care to myself but can see limited use to it but before I chat I want to see the person's profile to figure out if it is really somebody I know or some random hacker. But it doesn't offer anything but accept and deny. C'mon, Yahoo, you can do better than that!

              Bruce

              >Is there a tweak in Y! mail to keep people from soliciting chat?
               I'm getting lots of these from people I don't know.  Thanks!
              In the Messenger options you can set to block all users not in your address book. If a  person not in your address book wants to chat with you, they will have to send you an email and wait for you to update your address book.

                  Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

            • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2012
                I don't know which is preferable, to just block the sender when the window pops up, or have to deal with email from strangers!

                Cindy in Ohio

                --- On Sat, 7/14/12, Rob Weigle <rob.weigle@...> wrote:
                >Is there a tweak in Y! mail to keep people from soliciting chat?
                 I'm getting lots of these from people I don't know.  Thanks!

                In the Messenger options you can set to block all users not in your address book. If a  person not in your address book wants to chat with you, they will have to send you an email and wait for you to update your address book.

                    Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

              • askey.erskine
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 16, 2012
                  Since Yahoo integrated chat into the main mail page (mail, calander, notes tabs screen), it seems to me there should be a chat settings somewhere just as described earlier. Of course, I am a "Plus" (paid) user, so my experience might be a little different. I routinely get chat requests from strangers, usually with an attached message (chat) that includes an URL. I report each one as spam and let Yahoo deal with it. If I have ever accidently reported a real contact (old college friend perhaps) they still can send an email. But I have never heard about any such error! What troubles me is the regular appearance in my spam folder, email from wanted senders that I have been getting newsletters from for years! I make it a practice to almost daily look at my spam folder to see what they have misflagged. And I can't find any logical rason why previously good senders suddenly become spam! Oh, well. . . .
                  John in PA

                • adeomus ********
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 16, 2012
                    i refuse to deal with strangers with no context visible at first sight.
                    i block them immediately.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 17, 2012
                        YES, EXACTLY !!!