Re: [Y-Mail] Email Hackers

  • Sasafrass452
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9, 2012
      One other question.... What browser are you using?

      **Sasafrass452**
      http://sasafrass452.tumblr.com
      http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

      On 07/09/2012 11:36 AM, Sasafrass452 wrote:

      What anti-malware/adware/virus software do you use? Is it fully updated with all current malware/adware definitions? How often do you scan your system with it? If it truly is NOT your computer, you'll need to send a report to Yahoo's security team at http://help.yahoo.com . BUT, if it's happening over & over, then the obvious conclusion is that your system is in fact compromised. Passwords from the web are stored on your computer in browser cookies, so unless someone hacks Yahoo's servers, the only other way they could get your password is to hack your computer. You may not have an actual infection, but someone has probably exploited a security flaw in either your operating system or browser.

      **Sasafrass452**
      http://sasafrass452.tumblr.com
      http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

      On 07/08/2012 01:02 PM, Donna wrote:

      Can someone tell me why my email gets hacked into when my PC has no Malware or adware? I do NOT use the same password on sites that I have registered with my email. So would anyone have an answer? Yahoo is no help for they are blaming my PC. I KNOW MY PC IS CLEAN!

      Thank you for any feedback you might have. I am so tired of this!! I am running out of password ideas!

      Donna
      Tulsa, OK

    • askey.erskine
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 9, 2012
        I assume you mean you have a good antivirus software, but not all antivirus software includes other malware such as rootkits, trojans and so on. I'm just covering all the bases there; your software might cover all of that.

        As you might have heard, there was a nasty virus/malware that infected millions worldwide, stole passwords and other information, redirected web connections to fake web sites, and turned infected PCs into "botnets"used remotely to attack other computers. The US government shut down what it could and set up servers to bypass the problem, but today those servers are shut down and many people who did not get the virus fixed now have no internet. What made this virus worse is that it was able to hoax antivirus software, so users might think they were clean when in fact they were infected!

        You may not be infected with THAT virus or anything else; if you lost web access today it might because you ARE infected. If you're affected, the absolute safest way to fix this is to back up your data, then reformat your hard drive, resinstall Windows, then your applications and programs. A major pain, but the most secure. Using some special antivirus apps or tools that do not "live" on your hard drive, or even ones that do not use Windows at all, is the best way to scan and clean a badly infected PC.

        YOU might not need this advice, but somebody else might!

        It is virtualky impodsible if you use strong passwords and change them now and then, and have a pristine clean computer, for your accounts to be hacked. If you are hacked, is there anyone in your house who also uses the same computer? Is there any way they, as "insiders" might be able to find password hints or notes?

        Generally, either your passwords are not as good as you think, or your compuer is not as protected as you think. If you don't mind, may I suggest that you download Avast or another free antivirus, then remove yours temporairly, try Avast or another tool, and see what results you get? You may also try tools to detect and remove other malware. I use Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Avast antivirus, Panda Software's antiroitkit (Pvark), and the free Zone Alarm firewall. All on various download sites like Filehippo and Cnet.com.

        The Windows free antivirus tool (Microsoft Security Essentials?) is good but basic, and it may not be updated as fast as other programs. But, it's pretty easy and adequate.

        The best way to he sure yiur PC is clean is to make doubly sure, especially since hackers are very good and stay ahead of the goid guys by just enough. I don't know what software you are using, but it MIGHT be disabled or "faked out" by a particuarly nasty smart piece of malware.

        Good luck, best wishes, and I hope you find a solution!

        Maybe grab a book of poetry and use a random line as a password? Most passwords involve numbers, letters of mixed case, and other keyboard symbol characters including spaces. Take a phrase of a song or poem, alter it, and make it personal. Lots of places on the Web to get password creation suggestions. Some will even generate random passwords for you, which works best only if you have no one else using your computer, at home, where having the password on papers is not a security risk.

        Good luck!

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <donna74128@...> wrote:

        > Can someone tell me why my email gets hacked into when my PC has no Malware or adware? I do NOT use the same password on sites that I have registered with my email. So would anyone have an answer? Yahoo is no help for they are blaming my PC. I KNOW MY PC IS CLEAN!
        >
        > Thank you for any feedback you might have. I am so tired of this!! I am running out of password ideas!
        >
        > Donna
        > Tulsa, OK

      • Donna
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 9, 2012
          I use Firefox - clean out cookies daily.

          Anti- virus and anti-malware

          AVG Pro - updated daily
          Malwarebytes- updated daily
          SpyBot- updated weekly

          I do scan weekly. I also check the DNS and I had a green background. So all good there.

          I am on a router with a password and firewall. Windows firewall on top of that.

          I did check with Yahoo help and the help is not help at all!

          Donna
          Tulsa, OK

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass452 <Sasafrass452@...> wrote:

          > What anti-malware/adware/virus software do you use? Is it fully updated
          > with all current malware/adware definitions? How often do you scan your
          > system with it? If it truly is NOT your computer, you'll need to send a
          > report to Yahoo's security team at http://help.yahoo.com . BUT, if it's
          > happening over & over, then the obvious conclusion is that your system
          > is in fact compromised. Passwords from the web are stored on your
          > computer in browser cookies, so unless someone hacks Yahoo's servers,
          > the only other way they could get your password is to hack your
          > computer. You may not have an actual infection, but someone has probably
          > exploited a security flaw in either your operating system or browser.
          >

          > **Sasafrass452**
          > http://sasafrass452.tumblr.com
          > http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

        • Guards
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 9, 2012
            Have you considered that you may have been phishing victim?

            Guards
            GuardsGroup

            ==================================

          • adeomus ********
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 9, 2012

              is it possible that people might think they are hacked when others use their e-mail address and send stuff to THEM ?
              eg, i get pharma spam from my own address..and conceivably they could send spam to other addresses with my addy....but i am not hacked.
              they have some way of using my addy, but they don't have my contacts or anything else.

              adds

              Ekatn,
              may every fibre of my Being
              be infused with Your Essence...
              You looking through my eyes
               ever and always, always and ever.

> [...]

              Good luck!

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <donna74128@...> wrote:

              > Can someone tell me why my email gets hacked into when my PC has no Malware or adware? I do NOT use the same password on sites that I have registered with my email. So would anyone have an answer? Yahoo is no help for they are blaming my PC. I KNOW MY PC IS CLEAN!
              >
              > Thank you for any feedback you might have. I am so tired of this!! I am running out of password ideas!

                  Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

            • Donna Lee
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 10, 2012
                No - if I was how is it half of my address book gets email from me when i did not send it. That to me is not phishing.

                Donna Ford Lee
                Tulsa, OK

                Sent Via Donna's iPhone

                On Jul 9, 2012, at 9:44 PM, "Guards" <guardsgroup@...> wrote:

                > Have you considered that you may have been phishing victim?
                >
                > Guards
                > GuardsGroup
                >
                > ==================================
                >
                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <donna74128@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Can someone tell me why my email gets hacked into when my PC has no Malware or adware? I do NOT use the same password on sites that I have registered with my email. So would anyone have an answer? Yahoo is no help for they are blaming my PC. I KNOW MY PC IS CLEAN!
                >>
                >> Thank you for any feedback you might have. I am so tired of this!! I am running out of password ideas!
                >>
                >> Donna
                >> Tulsa, OK

              • Donna Lee
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 10, 2012
                  No this is not the case. Gmail is good for that.

                  I don't get the email but half of my address book got the email from my email. I did not send the email but my Yahoo email account did.

                  I have 6 different accounts. When my other accounts get this email - I know I have been hit.

                  I did delete my group email so my groups would not get any spam from me. I usually reply to posts or post directly on the group site now. When groups get spam from that causes moderators to remove you or at worse ban you.

                  I have only been hacked twice. I can overlooked the first one. Scan my PC and change password. Simple - but to have it happen again three weeks later, now that is wrong.

                  For the most part I have switched most of my email to gmail because of the better security. I have had a gmail account for over ten yrs with the same password without a problem.

                  Donna Ford Lee
                  Tulsa, OK

                  Sent Via Donna's iPhone

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 10, 2012
                    No this is different half of my address book gets this email. I did not know about the first one until my GF called me to tell me.

                    Donna Ford Lee
                    Tulsa, OK

                    Sent Via Donna's iPhone

                    On Jul 9, 2012, at 9:44 PM, "Guards" <guardsgroup@...> wrote:

                    > Have you considered that you may have been phishing victim?
                    >
                    > Guards
                    > GuardsGroup

                  • Sasafrass452
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 10, 2012
                      It sounds like you have spyware which has gone undetected, so your account is now being used to send spam. Sometimes, it can go undetected, without any noticeable effect on the performance of your computer. My aunt has had the same problem, & she uses webmail as well. The bottom line is, your antivirus/malware/spyware programs are not detecting the spyware. So, in a sense, you have in fact been hacked. To be more specific, it could be a keylogger which records every button you press. So, no, your computer is NOT clean!

                      On 07/10/2012 10:50 AM, Donna Lee wrote:

                      No - if I was how is it half of my address book gets email from me when i did not send it. That to me is not phishing.

                      Donna Ford Lee
                      Tulsa, OK

                      Sent Via Donna's iPhone

                      On Jul 9, 2012, at 9:44 PM, "Guards" <guardsgroup@...> wrote:

                      > Have you considered that you may have been phishing victim?
                      >
                      > Guards
                      > GuardsGroup
                      >
                      > ==================================
                      >
                      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <donna74128@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Can someone tell me why my email gets hacked into when my PC has no Malware or adware? I do NOT use the same password on sites that I have registered with my email. So would anyone have an answer? Yahoo is no help for they are blaming my PC. I KNOW MY PC IS CLEAN!
                      >>
                      >> Thank you for any feedback you might have. I am so tired of this!! I am running out of password ideas!
                      >>
                      >> Donna
                      >> Tulsa, OK

                    • Donna Lee
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 10, 2012
                        So you are telling me that SpyBot is not worth a grain of salt? And here I thought that it was pretty good at catching what your virus scanner misses!

                        I guess that I will have to format my laptop back to the day it was new then take my chances for I guess that the programs that I have used and paid for are worthless. I do not have the money to be paying for something that does not work!!

                        I have used Symatec and Norton. Both took over my PC to the point that it slowed down the system. I started using AVG Free and liked it so I bought it. It does not slow down my PC.

                        I paid for AVG Pro - waste of money ???
                        I paid for Malwarebytes - waste of money ????
                        I use SpyBot - may be free but does not do enough. ????

                        So why get anything if there are no guarantees?!?!

                        Donna Ford Lee
                        Tulsa, OK

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 10, 2012
                            For a couple of years now, I have been using Microsoft's Security Essentials and have never had any bother with viruses. It costs nothing and works well for me, though others may not wish to use it because it is from the Microsoft stable.... I respect that.

                            Jim (UK)

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 10, 2012
                              Regarding email, all a good spammer needs is your email address, not access to your account. He can use "spoofer" tools to send spam and make it look like it came from your computer. But if he has been able to read and copy your address book even once, he is able to send spam to yiur contacts and make it look like you are sending it. In the past, I have recieved spam sent from "myself" but I clearly didn't! A change of password is always the first step. Then on to worrying about the computer.

                              AVG used to be good, but with a somewhat recent major change, it has lost favor somewhat in Cnet.com's editor's reviews. Avast seems to have a good package and reputation, so I use that.

                              Spybot Search and Destroy is good, and Spyware Blaster provides some protection by somehow "locking" your browser against certain kinds of trouble. Its protection includes Internet Explorer. Firefox and its derivatives (Pale Moon) and possibly Safari, Opera and Chrome. Spyware Blaster is not a scanner kind of program, so once it has been installed, updated and closed, it does not affect your performance. It kind of operates like a "safe."

                              Panda Software has a good antirootkit, Pvark, which can scan at boot or anytime on demand, and it can remove rootkits which often are not seen by antivirus software. I think you can find Pvark on Cnet.com or Filehippo, and other download sites.

                              The point is, hackers have several reasons to attack a computer, and they often have highly paid expert programmers working for them. They watch for reports of flaws in software, and move quickly to exploit them before the flaws get fixed. They often are a few steps ahead of the security professionals, and when people fail to update their operating systems with the latest patches, and their programs as well, they are just helping the hackers.

                              Unfortunantly, you can only run one local antivirus program at a time, but yiu can find good online scanners that will check your computer remotely. But some of these sites are not actualky cleaning your computer, but instead attacking it! So if you want to do a live remote scan, be sure to do your research!

                              There are some good scanners that will run from a thumb drive or CD, some of which are self-booting so it can scan without requiring anything from your operating system. Computer experts use these on machines that are severely infected to the point that even Windows (or whatever OS like Mac) is itself infected. I can't name any such tool off-hand, but some web research will find them.

                              As several have said, your computer can he infected and your current tooks eithrr not seeing it, or compromised so they are prevented from working right. Some of these "bugs" are very stealthy! Running multiple tools might he the only way to fight off the problem!

                              You may have to try using several antivirus programs repearedly. Get something that is recommended, temporairly uninstall completely whatever you currently have, install the nee one and give it time to update its definations and scan your system. If it finds nothing or reports a problem cleaning a problem, uninstall this and try a third antivirus. When the third reports either a clean system or it has fixed the problems, remove it and reinstall your origional, if it's one you paid goid money for. Chancez are, now it will be able to do its job. It's a complicated process, but if you keep having email issues then there is likely a complicated infection.

                              I'm sorry you have had problems even with running several otherwise good protection programs. Some infections are just that tough to find and remove! And no one security program can keep up with all the fast evolving malware out there.

                              In fact, one rwadon why some good programs bog down a computer is because it has so many definations it is using - it is being extra thorough, and may include viruses that have not been seen "in the wild" in years! If you have old flopoy disks or CD backup copies you are accessing, which themselves might he infected, having those old definations on hand makes sense.

                              Well, enough of us think you are likely infected, and while you have some good tolls already, it seems you have to try out some more.

                              Keep us posted with your efforts and results! Most of us have had some problems with infections in the past - even users who only go to "safe"sites sometimes find a safe site that has been hacked and made unsafe!

                              Best wishes!

                            • Harryh
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 11, 2012
                                There is tremendous confusion between a hacked account and a spoofed account.  Others note that if your web mail account has been actually hacked, you will find evidence from the headers - the message WAS sent via Yahoo servers using your account and there will be a trace indicating an account login from a location you don't use.  A hacked account might be sending from your computer using a hidden mailserver.

                                A spoofed account means someone, somewhere is sending mail in your name.  The headers can often reveal where the mail actually originated, usually not a yahoo webmail origination.  A spoofed account could be sending email to your address book if those address have been compromised in the past.

                                No - if I was how is it half of my address book gets email from me when i did not send it. That to me is not phishing.

                                Donna Ford Lee
                                Tulsa, OK

                                Sent Via Donna's iPhone

                                On Jul 9, 2012, at 9:44 PM, "Guards" <guardsgroup@...> wrote:

                                > Have you considered that you may have been phishing victim?
                                >
                                > Guards
                                > GuardsGroup
                                >
                                > ==================================
                                >
                                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <donna74128@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> Can someone tell me why my email gets hacked into when my PC has no Malware or adware? I do NOT use the same password on sites that I have registered with my email. So would anyone have an answer? Yahoo is no help for they are blaming my PC. I KNOW MY PC IS CLEAN!
                                >>
                                >> Thank you for any feedback you might have. I am so tired of this!! I am running out of password ideas!
                                >>
                                >> Donna
                                >> Tulsa, OK

                                    Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                              • Beverly Van alst
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 11, 2012
                                  please remove me from you lists

                                  There is tremendous confusion between a hacked account and a spoofed account.  Others note that if your web mail account has been actually hacked, you will find evidence from the headers - the message WAS sent via Yahoo servers using your account and there will be a trace indicating an account login from a location you don't use.  A hacked account might be sending from your computer using a hidden mailserver.

                                  A spoofed account means someone, somewhere is sending mail in your name.  The headers can often reveal where the mail actually originated, usually not a yahoo webmail origination.  A spoofed account could be sending email to your address book if those address have been compromised in the past.

                                  No - if I was how is it half of my address book gets email from me when i did not send it. That to me is not phishing. Donna Ford Lee Tulsa, OK Sent Via Donna's iPhone On Jul 9, 2012, at 9:44 PM, "Guards" <guardsgroup@...> wrote: > Have you considered that you may have been phishing victim? > > Guards > GuardsGroup > > ================================== > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <donna74128@...> wrote: >> >> Can someone tell me why my email gets hacked into when my PC has no Malware or adware? I do NOT use the same password on sites that I have registered with my email. So would anyone have an answer? Yahoo is no help for they are blaming my PC. I KNOW MY PC IS CLEAN! >> >> Thank you for any feedback you might have. I am so tired of this!! I am running out of password ideas! >> >> Donna >> Tulsa, OK >> > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > *** > DISCLAIMER : Please note that this is a discussion group only. We do not provide official support. > YAHOO MAIL OFFICIAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT is  available at : http://is.gd/54K8A > ***Yahoo! Groups Links > > > ------------------------------------ *** DISCLAIMER : Please note that this is a discussion group only. We do not provide official support. YAHOO MAIL OFFICIAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT is  available at : http://is.gd/54K8A ***Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Y-Mail/ <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Y-Mail/join     (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email:     Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com     Y-Mail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     Y-Mail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • justkenneth
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 11, 2012
                                    For Yahoo! email accounts, evidence that your account has been hacked rather than simply spoofed can be found by going to your account info page and viewing the recent login activity page. If your account was hacked recently, the suspicious activity may be glaringly obvious in the log. Also, if you see emails in your sent folder that you know you didn't write, then obviously someone else got into your account and sent them.

                                    Kenneth

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 12, 2012
                                      You can do this yourself by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this message.