Continual Flash Crashes

  • Chris B
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2012
      Hi - I do hope you guys at Yahoo still have jobs. Anyway I am on Yahoo Classic. And maybe this is related or maybe not. The adverts at the top of each webpage are Flash with/without roll-over extensions. However the Flash add-on is continually crashing ending up with a pixelated face with tabs and and upturned unhappy mouth. I am running Win 7 on one laptop and XP on another. Both are equally affected. This happens at least 5 to 10 times a day each event requiring a reboot. Sometimes Yahoo mail just hangs completely for anything up to 30 minutes whilst a script attempts to execute. Invariable this results in Flash crashing. These Flash crashes pertain with the latest IE, Chrome, Safari, Opera and Firefox. Why on earth does Yahoo inflict this Flash junk on us? The ads. are irritating enough as it is without the Flash add-one crashing and hanging the Yahoo mail service all of the time. Chris B.
    • Shal Farley
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2012
        Chris,

        > However the Flash add-on is continually crashing ending up with a
        > pixelated face with tabs and and upturned unhappy mouth. I am running
        > Win 7 on one laptop and XP on another. Both are equally affected.

        There have been some exploits of Adobe/Macromedia Flash, causing them to release some urgent updates. If you haven't already you should make sure you're running the most recent version.

        > Sometimes Yahoo mail just hangs completely for anything up to 30 minutes
        > whilst a script attempts to execute.

        A couple years ago there was a big scandal involving some major ad servers delivering ads that contained malware intended to install itself in user's computers. At that time I had symptoms like this, where Firefox would hang after I accessed a Yahoo Groups page or if I left a tab showing a Yahoo Groups page.

        I eventually got frustrated with this and installed ad-block plus. It took some trial and error to figure out which servers were delivering ads that hung my Firefox, but I eventually got them and haven't had a problem since.

        A lot of people block all ads, but I like ad-supported services like Yahoo, so I try not to punish well-behaved ads. That turns out to be an automatic feature of Adblock plus version 2 and newer -- wish that feature had been around back then!

        > Why on earth does Yahoo inflict this Flash junk on us?

        I imagine the advertisers demand it. They probably wouldn't pay anywhere near as much if limited to a plain text or flat image banner ad.

        -- Shal
      • Harryh
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2012
          I have always configured FF with Flashblock just to avoid that sort of nonsense.