Blake Irving, Head of Products, is leaving Yahoo

  • sy1bzbn
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 8, 2012
      http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/06/us-yahoo-irving-idUSBRE8350EO20120406

      " It's unclear how the products group headed by Irving will fit into the company's new framework, which the company has indicated will be based around three main businesses: core media and communications, platforms and data."

      Does anyone care to speculate what that means to YMail?

      I'm having a bad feeling.
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
        Doesn't sound hopeful does it?

        He certainly talked a good game, but with little emphasis ever on Yahoo Mail or developing it as a product. I suspect his resignation is as much a political move as anything (i.e. objected to job cuts). What's more worrying is the staff at yahoo mail. Some may lose their jobs, which is sad for them and probably hampers development on the platform.

        Incidentally, what was the last significant feature update we had? It's all gone very stagnant unfortunately.

        In my mind, sadly, yahoo mail has become a reliable place to store emails and that's it. The development drive to create potential new features and services went long ago. All perfectly adequate, but sadly not exciting. Plus subscription will not be renewed this year (well, until perhaps I get too annoyed with the adverts!)

        " It's unclear how the products group headed by Irving will fit into the company's new framework, which the company has indicated will be based around three main businesses: core media and communications, platforms and data."

        Does anyone care to speculate what that means to YMail?

        I'm having a bad feeling.

      • Sasafrass452
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
          I think that's the very reason 2,000 employees were shown the door.... Perhaps with new people on board, we'll see some real improvements.

          **Sasafrass452**
          http://sasafrass452.tumblr.com
          http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
          http://teamjay.proboards.com

          On 04/10/2012 04:45 AM, G Pollara wrote:
[...]

        • Silk
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
            Would some one care to cite some desireable improvements?

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
              I have to agree with Sasafrass452. Despite the great experience, Blake was not the person who made something significant to Yahoo's products and maybe it is the time to bring some new blood.
              Yahoo is transforming itself in a media company, it is not even chanting his old "be social" mantra and from my POV, Blake did not make any difference in Yahoo's stagnation.
               Lets take a look at how obsolete is MyYahoo and Yahoo Notepad, at how long Yahoo Calendar is taking to be integrated with Yahoo Mail and how Flickr is frozen in the same code for years and years.

              --
              Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
              http://about.me/henriquejunior

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
                  Video and audio conversations, calendar integration, office viewers/editors, real flickr integration with attached photos, threaded messages, subfolders...

                  --
                  Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
                  http://about.me/henriquejunior

                  " It's unclear how the products group headed by Irving will fit into the company's new framework, which the company has indicated will be based around three main businesses: core media and communications, platforms and data."

                  Does anyone care to speculate what that means to YMail?

                  I'm having a bad feeling.

                • Stephanie
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012

                    Funny, your font came through as comic sans in my email.  :)

                    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/06/us-yahoo-irving-idUSBRE8350EO20120406 " It's unclear how the products group headed by Irving will fit into the company's new framework, which the company has indicated will be based around three main businesses: core media and communications, platforms and data." Does anyone care to speculate what that means to YMail? I'm having a bad feeling.

                        http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/06/us-yahoo-irving-idUSBRE8350EO20120406 " It's unclear how the products group headed by Irving will fit into the company's new framework, which the company has indicated will be based around three main businesses: core media and communications, platforms and data." Does anyone care to speculate what that means to YMail? I'm having a bad feeling.
                      • km
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
                          As sad as it may seem.... I would wish that they continue with Classic, with some support offered.  The number one option that I need is only available in classic- (I keep looking for a different email that offers it to no avail)  - after replying to an email being able to choose right then what to do with it, ie delete, move to a folder, go to the next message (thus leaving it in the INBOX) etc.

                          Kathy

                          Would some one care to cite some desireable improvements?

                          __._,_._
                        • Sasafrass452

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
                              Yes there has been "talk" about no more classic but I'm still using it... And you?

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
                                OH!!!!!!  I haven't checked out the new mail recently!  The last time I tried it out I liked to never have gotten back to classic so have been leary of trying again.

                                The last time I tried it out, after you sent the reply you had to go back to the INBOX and *then* you could have the options.  That was the problem for me- I want/need to do it right thereon the confirmation of it being sent page.  So you are saying that has been changed now?

                                Thanks for the heads up!!!!

                                Kathy

                                Would some one care to cite some desireable improvements?

                                __._,_._

                              • Sumit Mehta
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
                                  Isn't it unfair to expect so much from Y-mail team ??? Lol... Instead  we should thank them for so much they offered... ;)

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
                                    Agree with your sentiment. The wishlist is just that, not a complaint about the current offering. It's still very good, but just not being developed as fast competitors. This is likely to be due to management issues within the company rather than the indivdual competence of the team working on Yahoo Mail.

                                    Isn't it unfair to expect so much from Y-mail team ??? Lol... Instead  we should thank them for so much they offered... ;)

                                    On Tuesday, April 10, 2012, G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:

                                    > i'll second all of that please!!!
                                    >
                                    > ________________________________

                                  • G Sears
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
                                      I just switched back to Classic Mail and the difference is amazing. Hated that new mail with the script running errors popping up with so much regularity.

                                      Thanks!
                                      Geo

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 10, 2012
                                        I am still using Classic.... I HOPE they keep it even if they just keep it up and running with the options they have now.

                                        Kathy

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 11, 2012
                                          Hi..You mention "support".. I've neer really required any support as most the things to be answered are right there in the upper left hand corner under help.. The few times I've contacted customer care I was referred there... So... Just out of curiosity could you mention any support you've recieved? I'm going to switch one of my email addresses to this new mail and see what all the fuss is about. Looked like a cheap version of outlook express to me?

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 11, 2012
                                            How did you go about switching back..

                                            I just switched back to Classic Mail and the difference is amazing. Hated that new mail with the script running errors popping up with so much regularity.

                                            Thanks!
                                            Geo

                                            Yes there has been "talk" about no more classic but I'm still using it... And you?

                                            As sad as it may seem.... I would wish that they continue with Classic, with some support offered.  The number one option that I need is only available in classic- (I keep looking for a different email that offers it to no avail)  - after replying to an email being able to choose right then what to do with it, ie delete, move to a folder, go to the next message (thus leaving it in the INBOX) etc.

                                            Kathy

                                            Would some one care to cite some desireable improvements?

                                            __._,_._

                                          • Rob Weigle
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 11, 2012
                                               >How did you go about switching back.
                                              Silk,

                                              You need to lower your resolution.
                                              Start Neo and when yahoo tells you there is a resolution problem you need to go to older version and keep it.
                                              When you start ymail in the future need to not upgrade. It will ask you every time you start.

                                              Matthew 8:20 (NIV) Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.

                                            • Rob Weigle
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 11, 2012
                                                > >How did you go about switching back.
                                                >Silk,
                                                >
                                                >You need to lower your resolution.
                                                >Start Neo and when yahoo tells you there is a resolution problem you need to go to older version and keep it.
                                                >When you start ymail in the future need to not upgrade. It will ask you every time you start.

                                                Another thing, after you switch back you can raise your resolution again.

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 11, 2012
                                                  Over the last umpteen year I had a few problems that actually required a "person on the other end" to help.  Most of the time I have no problems, and you are right- I go to the help screen.

                                                  Usually the standard clearing of temp folder/cache/cookies, restart resets everything just fine.  A few times it didn't and thats when I fill out the request form.  Then I get a "canned messgae" that they are experiencing higher than normal requests and someone will get back with me.  After another day or so someone does with a generic copy of everything on the Help pages, and "if this doesn't solve the problem please contact us".... I reply and then a dialog starts between us and the problem gets solved.  Kind of a long run around, but the few times I have needed it, once  I get the "person" the matter was cleared up.

                                                  I can't remember what the last problem was- but it was a long time ago.

                                                  Kathy

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 11, 2012
                                                    Found it here... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110621153653AADfk61

                                                    Geo

                                                  • adeomus ********
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 11, 2012

                                                      me too !
                                                      no probs.

                                                      Bastet

                                                      (unknown author)

                                                      [Y-Mail] All things considered I'd say yahoo is as good as any if not better..

                                                      Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:24 AM
                                                      From:
                                                      "km" <emailkathy@...>
                                                      Add sender to Contacts
                                                      To:
                                                      Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                                                    • Harryh
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 12, 2012
                                                        I'm just happy that I CAN continue using classic in spite of all the efforts to get me to switch.  Yeah, I know I'm obsolete.

                                                      • tabawa@yahoo.com
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 12, 2012
                                                          No you are not !am there too!
                                                          Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by Airtel Nigeria.

                                                          From: Harryh <harryh89@...>
                                                          Sender: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
                                                          Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
                                                          To: <Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>