Re: [Y-Mail] Re: New "Smart Folders"

  • Henrique de Castro
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 29, 2012
      Can you post a acreenshot?

      --
      Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
      http://about.me/henriquejunior

      From: Kenneth <justkenneth@...>
      To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:01 PM
      Subject: [Y-Mail] Re: New "Smart Folders"

      I'm seeing Smart Folders now too. Don't know why it's plural since there's only the one, Email from Contacts.

      Neo Version:
      Build number: 2.18.0.4053
      Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie <slhansen235@...> wrote:

      > I'm on:
      >
      > Neo Version:
      > Build number: 2.18.0.4053
      > Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012
      >

      > Must not be totally rolled out yet.  :)  Smart Folders is below the 'main' folders and above Folders.  I actually sent that email out at 6:38pm PST last night, so it was pretty new at that point.
      >

      > >________________________________

    • Rob Weigle
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 29, 2012
        >I'm seeing Smart Folders now too.  Don't know why it's plural since there's only the one, Email from Contacts.
        >
        >Neo Version:
        >Build number: 2.18.0.4053
        >Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012
        Smart Folders may be plural for one of two reasons
        1. Smart Folder may not sound good.
        2. There may be plans to expand it to more than one folder.

        Matthew 8:20 (NIV) Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.
      • Henrique de Castro

          I'm seeing Smart Folders now too. Don't know why it's plural since there's only the one, Email from Contacts.

          Neo Version:
          Build number: 2.18.0.4053
          Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie <slhansen235@...> wrote:

          > I'm on:
          >
          > Neo Version:
          > Build number: 2.18.0.4053
          > Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012
          >

          > Must not be totally rolled out yet.  :)  Smart Folders is below the 'main' folders and above Folders.  I actually sent that email out at 6:38pm PST last night, so it was pretty new at that point.
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Suzi
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
            I got it yesterday on all accounts.

            *Suzi*
            Ravelry ID: PuppyKisses
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/puppykisses

            I'm seeing Smart Folders now too. Don't know why it's plural since there's only the one, Email from Contacts.

            Neo Version:
            Build number: 2.18.0.4053
            Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie <slhansen235@...> wrote:

            > I'm on:
            >
            > Neo Version:
            > Build number: 2.18.0.4053
            > Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012
            >

            > Must not be totally rolled out yet.  :)  Smart Folders is below the 'main' folders and above Folders.  I actually sent that email out at 6:38pm PST last night, so it was pretty new at that point.
            >

            > >________________________________

          • Kenneth
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
              I'd like to see Yahoo! implement the following Smart Folders:

              Unread Emails - to show all unread emails regardless of folder location

              Flagged/Starred emails - to show all of these regardless of folder location

              User Defined Smart Folders or "labels" - these would be the equivalent of Gmail labels. Users could apply them to an email regardless of the emails location, and could apply more than one label to any particular email.

              Kenneth

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
                >I'd like to see Yahoo! implement the following Smart Folders:
                >
                >Unread Emails - to show all unread emails regardless of folder location
                >
                >Flagged/Starred emails - to show all of these regardless of folder location
                >
                >User
                Defined Smart Folders or "labels" - these would be the equivalent of
                Gmail labels.  Users could apply them to an email regardless of the
                emails location, and could apply more than one label to any particular
                email.

                >Kenneth
                I agree with you Kenneth.
                Major changes in how "Smart Folders" are implemented will have to be made. Current implementation shows only Inbox emails.

                Matthew 8:20 (NIV) Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.
              • adeomus ********
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012

                  all my unread e-mails are very plain in my inbox...and flagged ones as well...
                  i only put them in folders after i read/wish to keep.

                  i guess one needs to choose what option is handiest for them.

                  ( yes, still love classic)

                  Bastet

                  (unknown author)

                  >I'd like to see Yahoo! implement the following Smart Folders:
                  >
                  >Unread Emails - to show all unread emails regardless of folder location
                  >
                  >Flagged/Starred emails - to show all of these regardless of folder location
                  >
                  >User
                  Defined Smart Folders or "labels" - these would be the equivalent of
                  Gmail labels.  Users could apply them to an email regardless of the
                  emails location, and could apply more than one label to any particular
                  email.

                  >Kenneth
                  I agree with you Kenneth.
                  Major changes in how "Smart Folders" are implemented will have to be made. Current implementation shows only Inbox emails.

                  Matthew 8:20 (NIV) Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.

                      Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                • sy1bzbn
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
                    The "Smart folders" idea wasn't new. It has been in use on the Yahoo's mobile platforms for quite some time. The three "folders" are Email from Contacts, Photos, and Files. No customization nor settings is available. I'm afraid that those predefined filters may be all there is to it.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2, 2012
                      yep, you may well be right.

                      Also, it's not working well at the moment, in that it doesn't count the number of undread emails from contacts until you actually open the folder. I'm sure that's a small bug that'll be fixed, but it's still likely to be a "beta" feature at present

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 2, 2012
                        In Blake Irving's presentation[1] we can see in "Extras" some good ideas to Smart Folders: Photos (that well implemented can compensate the lack of MyPhotos) and attachments. Both features are still presente in Yahoo Mail Classic for quite some time.
                        It is a good idea to implement the option to disable/enable the features.

                        [1] - http://guillaumeb.com/ym/ym1.png