IMPORTANT message to Yahoo! apps users

  • sy1bzbn
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 15, 2012
      TL;DR - Changing your password WILL NOT INVALIDATE the logins of your apps.

      If you lost your phone, don't think for a second that changing your Yahoo! password is enough. Turns out the authorizations for app and website connections are maintained separately, and changing your password will not reset those connections.

      What does this mean? It means if you were using the YMail app on your lost phone, then whoever has physical access to it can continue to READ, SEND, and REPLY as you. If you were using the YMessenger app, then that person can impersonate you until you signed into YMessenger elsewhere.

      To remove those authorizations, you need to go to your Account Info (https://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile), look for "Manage Apps and Website Connections" and remove them manually.

      Not something you would do unless you knew ahead of time.
    • sy1bzbn
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 15, 2012
        I take it ALL back. After I removed all the connections from the "Account Info" of my test account, I can still access my email account through the app. This is extremely bad Yahoo. Someone needs to look into this.

      • wordsletters@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 16, 2012
          ha ha, that's why I'm glad I still use the old fashioned kind that sits on the counter and plugs into the wall. So, did you lose your ear too? They are always attached so how could this even be a possiblity? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

          Meg

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 16, 2012
            No, I did not lose my phone. I received a few undeliverable bounces in my account and decided it's time to change my password. I was expecting to be prompted to login again on my phone but didn't see any, so I dug a little deeper and hence the first post.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, wordsletters@... wrote:

            > ha ha, that's why I'm glad I still use the old fashioned kind that sits on the counter and plugs into the wall. So, did you lose your ear too? They are always attached so how could this even be a possiblity? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
            >
            > Meg
            >
            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > >
            > > TL;DR - Changing your password WILL NOT INVALIDATE the logins of your apps.
            > >
            > > If you lost your phone, don't think for a second that changing your Yahoo! password is enough. Turns out the authorizations for app and website connections are maintained separately, and changing your password will not reset those connections.
            > >
            > > What does this mean? It means if you were using the YMail app on your lost phone, then whoever has physical access to it can continue to READ, SEND, and REPLY as you. If you were using the YMessenger app, then that person can impersonate you until you signed into YMessenger elsewhere.
            > >
            > > To remove those authorizations, you need to go to your Account Info (https://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile), look for "Manage Apps and Website Connections" and remove them manually.
            > >
            > > Not something you would do unless you knew ahead of time.

          • guillaumebcom
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
              Hello,

              A note to let you know that I contacted Yahoo! Security about this problem that i myself was able to reproduce with Yahoo! Messenger on my iPhone.

              They came back to me. Some were not able to reproduce this problem. Some on the contrary were able to.

              They are currently working on a fix

              Not sure how this one is gonna be deployed though. either thru an application update or on their server. Hoping to see the mobile applications instantly logged out upon password change instead of having to manually log out.

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
                thanks Guillaume for pointing this out to them.

                I'm replying to your post using the Quick reply bar to demonstrate that this results in a double message being sent out.

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
                  thanks Guillaume for pointing this out to them.

                  I'm replying to your post using the Quick reply bar to demonstrate that this results in a double message being sent out.

                  A note to let you know that I contacted Yahoo! Security about this problem that i myself was able to reproduce with Yahoo! Messenger on my iPhone.

                  They came back to me. Some were not able to reproduce this problem. Some on the contrary were able to.

                  They are currently working on a fix

                  Not sure how this one is gonna be deployed though. either thru an application update or on their server. Hoping to see the mobile applications instantly logged out upon password change instead of having to manually log out.

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sy1bzbn" <sy1bzbn@...> wrote:

                  > No, I did not lose my phone. I received a few undeliverable bounces in my account and decided it's time to change my password. I was expecting to be prompted to login again on my phone but didn't see any, so I dug a little deeper and hence the first post.
                  >
                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, wordsletters@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ha ha, that's why I'm glad I still use the old fashioned kind that sits on the counter and plugs into the wall. So, did you lose your ear too? They are always attached so how could this even be a possiblity? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
                  > >
                  > > Meg
                  > >
                  > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > TL;DR - Changing your password WILL NOT INVALIDATE the logins of your apps.
                  > > >
                  > > > If you lost your phone, don't think for a second that changing your Yahoo! password is enough. Turns out the authorizations for app and website connections are maintained separately, and changing your password will not reset those connections.
                  > > >
                  > > > What does this mean? It means if you were using the YMail app on your lost phone, then whoever has physical access to it can continue to READ, SEND, and REPLY as you. If you were using the YMessenger app, then that person can impersonate you until you signed into YMessenger elsewhere.
                  > > >
                  > > > To remove those authorizations, you need to go to your Account Info (https://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile), look for "Manage Apps and Website Connections" and remove them manually.
                  > > >
                  > > > Not something you would do unless you knew ahead of time.

                • Henrique de Castro
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
                    Let me try and see if the reply bar does the same to me.

                    --
                    Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
                    Do something for your privacy, do not use Google, use DuckDuckGo*

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
                      Apparently not.

                      http://duckduckgo.com/

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
                        what browser are you using?
                        I'm on Firefox 9.0.1

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
                          I'm on Chrome 16.0.912.75 m

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
                            well, perhaps it's a Firefox issue. Anyone else noticed this problem?

                            Do something for your privacy, do not use Google, use DuckDuckGo*

                            Do something for your privacy, do not use Google, use DuckDuckGo*
                            http://duckduckgo.com/

                            thanks Guillaume for pointing this out to them.

                            I'm replying to your post using the Quick reply bar to demonstrate that this results in a double message being sent out.

                            A note to let you know that I contacted Yahoo! Security about this problem that i myself was able to reproduce with Yahoo! Messenger on my iPhone.

                            They came back to me. Some were not able to reproduce this problem. Some on the contrary were able to.

                            They are currently working on a fix

                            Not sure how this one is gonna be deployed though. either thru an application update or on their server. Hoping to see the mobile applications instantly logged out upon password change instead of having to manually log out.

                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sy1bzbn" <sy1bzbn@...> wrote:

                            > No, I did not lose my phone. I received a few undeliverable bounces in my account and decided it's time to change my password. I was expecting to be prompted to login again on my phone but didn't see any, so I dug a little deeper and hence the first post.
                            >
                            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, wordsletters@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > ha ha, that's why I'm glad I still use the old fashioned kind that sits on the counter and plugs into the wall. So, did you lose your ear too? They are always attached so how could this even be a possiblity? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
                            > >
                            > > Meg
                            > >
                            > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > TL;DR - Changing your password WILL NOT INVALIDATE the logins of your apps.
                            > > >
                            > > > If you lost your phone, don't think for a second that changing your Yahoo! password is enough. Turns out the authorizations for app and website connections are maintained separately, and changing your password will not reset those connections.
                            > > >
                            > > > What does this mean? It means if you were using the YMail app on your lost phone, then whoever has physical access to it can continue to READ, SEND, and REPLY as you. If you were using the YMessenger app, then that person can impersonate you until you signed into YMessenger elsewhere.
                            > > >
                            > > > To remove those authorizations, you need to go to your Account Info (https://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile), look for "Manage Apps and Website Connections" and remove them manually.
                            > > >
                            > > > Not something you would do unless you knew ahead of time.

                          • Stephanie
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 27, 2012

                              What is this new "Smart Folders" and how can I get rid of it, or at least move it down below "Folders"?  It's default subfolder is "Email from Contacts" which appears to just be copying from the Inbox at least and not all folders (otherwise, how useless would it be?!), but it's not something I personally need and its position blocks me from seeing a couple of important folders now, even with Smart Folders being compacted.

                              I realize it may be of benefit to others, but it's not to me and I'd like to have an option to move it down if anyone can figure that out.

                              Oh, and be careful if you delete an email from the Email From Contacts folder -- it deletes it from your Inbox too.  I tried it just to see if it would, and sure enough, it did.

                              Stephanie

                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 28, 2012
                                Stephanie, I'm not seeing any of this - what version of Yahoo mail are you on?

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 28, 2012
                                  Me neither, bot sounds pretty cool!

                                  --
                                  Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
                                  http://about.me/henriquejunior

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 28, 2012

                                    I'm on:

                                    Neo Version:
                                    Build number: 2.18.0.4053
                                    Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012

                                    Must not be totally rolled out yet.  :)  Smart Folders is below the 'main' folders and above Folders.  I actually sent that email out at 6:38pm PST last night, so it was pretty new at that point.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 28, 2012
                                      I'm seeing Smart Folders now too. Don't know why it's plural since there's only the one, Email from Contacts.

                                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie <slhansen235@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm on:
                                      >
                                      > Neo Version:
                                      > Build number: 2.18.0.4053
                                      > Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012
                                      >

                                      > Must not be totally rolled out yet.  :)  Smart Folders is below the 'main' folders and above Folders.  I actually sent that email out at 6:38pm PST last night, so it was pretty new at that point.
                                      >

                                      > >________________________________

                                    • Henrique de Castro
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 29, 2012
                                        Can you post a acreenshot?

                                        --
                                        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
                                        http://about.me/henriquejunior

                                        I'm seeing Smart Folders now too. Don't know why it's plural since there's only the one, Email from Contacts.

                                        Neo Version:
                                        Build number: 2.18.0.4053
                                        Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012

                                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie <slhansen235@...> wrote:

                                        > I'm on:
                                        >
                                        > Neo Version:
                                        > Build number: 2.18.0.4053
                                        > Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012
                                        >

                                        > Must not be totally rolled out yet.  :)  Smart Folders is below the 'main' folders and above Folders.  I actually sent that email out at 6:38pm PST last night, so it was pretty new at that point.
                                        >

                                        > >________________________________

                                      • Rob Weigle
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 29, 2012
                                          >I'm seeing Smart Folders now too.  Don't know why it's plural since there's only the one, Email from Contacts.
                                          >
                                          >Neo Version:
                                          >Build number: 2.18.0.4053
                                          >Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012
                                          Smart Folders may be plural for one of two reasons
                                          1. Smart Folder may not sound good.
                                          2. There may be plans to expand it to more than one folder.

                                          Matthew 8:20 (NIV) Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.
                                        • Henrique de Castro

                                            I'm seeing Smart Folders now too. Don't know why it's plural since there's only the one, Email from Contacts.

                                            Neo Version:
                                            Build number: 2.18.0.4053
                                            Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012

                                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie <slhansen235@...> wrote:

                                            > I'm on:
                                            >
                                            > Neo Version:
                                            > Build number: 2.18.0.4053
                                            > Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012
                                            >

                                            > Must not be totally rolled out yet.  :)  Smart Folders is below the 'main' folders and above Folders.  I actually sent that email out at 6:38pm PST last night, so it was pretty new at that point.
                                            >

                                            > >________________________________

                                          • Suzi
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
                                              I got it yesterday on all accounts.

                                              *Suzi*
                                              Ravelry ID: PuppyKisses
                                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/puppykisses

                                              I'm seeing Smart Folders now too. Don't know why it's plural since there's only the one, Email from Contacts.

                                              Neo Version:
                                              Build number: 2.18.0.4053
                                              Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012

                                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie <slhansen235@...> wrote:

                                              > I'm on:
                                              >
                                              > Neo Version:
                                              > Build number: 2.18.0.4053
                                              > Build time: Mon Feb 27 15:48:01 PST 2012
                                              >

                                              > Must not be totally rolled out yet.  :)  Smart Folders is below the 'main' folders and above Folders.  I actually sent that email out at 6:38pm PST last night, so it was pretty new at that point.
                                              >

                                              > >________________________________

                                            • Kenneth
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
                                                I'd like to see Yahoo! implement the following Smart Folders:

                                                Unread Emails - to show all unread emails regardless of folder location

                                                Flagged/Starred emails - to show all of these regardless of folder location

                                                User Defined Smart Folders or "labels" - these would be the equivalent of Gmail labels. Users could apply them to an email regardless of the emails location, and could apply more than one label to any particular email.

                                                Kenneth

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
                                                  >I'd like to see Yahoo! implement the following Smart Folders:
                                                  >
                                                  >Unread Emails - to show all unread emails regardless of folder location
                                                  >
                                                  >Flagged/Starred emails - to show all of these regardless of folder location
                                                  >
                                                  >User
                                                  Defined Smart Folders or "labels" - these would be the equivalent of
                                                  Gmail labels.  Users could apply them to an email regardless of the
                                                  emails location, and could apply more than one label to any particular
                                                  email.

                                                  >Kenneth
                                                  I agree with you Kenneth.
                                                  Major changes in how "Smart Folders" are implemented will have to be made. Current implementation shows only Inbox emails.

                                                  Matthew 8:20 (NIV) Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.
                                                • adeomus ********
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012

                                                    all my unread e-mails are very plain in my inbox...and flagged ones as well...
                                                    i only put them in folders after i read/wish to keep.

                                                    i guess one needs to choose what option is handiest for them.

                                                    ( yes, still love classic)

                                                    Bastet

                                                    (unknown author)

                                                    >I'd like to see Yahoo! implement the following Smart Folders:
                                                    >
                                                    >Unread Emails - to show all unread emails regardless of folder location
                                                    >
                                                    >Flagged/Starred emails - to show all of these regardless of folder location
                                                    >
                                                    >User
                                                    Defined Smart Folders or "labels" - these would be the equivalent of
                                                    Gmail labels.  Users could apply them to an email regardless of the
                                                    emails location, and could apply more than one label to any particular
                                                    email.

                                                    >Kenneth
                                                    I agree with you Kenneth.
                                                    Major changes in how "Smart Folders" are implemented will have to be made. Current implementation shows only Inbox emails.

                                                    Matthew 8:20 (NIV) Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.

                                                        Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                                  • sy1bzbn
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
                                                      The "Smart folders" idea wasn't new. It has been in use on the Yahoo's mobile platforms for quite some time. The three "folders" are Email from Contacts, Photos, and Files. No customization nor settings is available. I'm afraid that those predefined filters may be all there is to it.

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 2, 2012
                                                        yep, you may well be right.

                                                        Also, it's not working well at the moment, in that it doesn't count the number of undread emails from contacts until you actually open the folder. I'm sure that's a small bug that'll be fixed, but it's still likely to be a "beta" feature at present

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Mar 2, 2012
                                                          In Blake Irving's presentation[1] we can see in "Extras" some good ideas to Smart Folders: Photos (that well implemented can compensate the lack of MyPhotos) and attachments. Both features are still presente in Yahoo Mail Classic for quite some time.
                                                          It is a good idea to implement the option to disable/enable the features.

                                                          [1] - http://guillaumeb.com/ym/ym1.png