Re: See if the links you email are working or not, and ask Yahoo to fix the error

  • augusthoward
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
      So it sounds like the same thing is happening to you?

      The theory below is interesting - I didn't know in the past they've tried to prevent cut and paste, but either way, they need to make links clickable for people. I sent an email out for our nonprofit today to a potential donor, and it took me 8 extra minutes to re-read the email and manually convert all the URLs into links. I run the nonprofit and it's really bogging down my time to do this on every email I send out every day.

      Our nonprofit is trying to save people who are on the verge of starving from dying so the numerous hours I'm having to put into manually converting links in several thousand emails per year instead of doing my actual job is having a life or death impact on a sizeable number of people .

      I hope people give Yahoo feedback on it so it moves into their top priorities for fixes. Please anyone who happens to read this, give Yahoo feedback via the link in my original note below.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Harryh <harryh89@...> wrote:

      > I wonder if this behavior is linked to their anti-phishing approach of intentionally breaking links.  In the previous incantations even my plain text emails the links were made clickable but obscured (the HTML was OK, but the plain text often had added spaces to kill cut and paste).  I resolved that by always including my links in brackets <URL> which kept the link intact.  I do see now that the automatic interpretation that web mail used on links no longer works in my sends, but I was always using plain text not rich mail with the link insertion feature.

    • sy1bzbn
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
        The easiest way to verify is to send yourself a copy before sending anything important, but I thought if you were using a client instead of the web interface then nothing should have been modified.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "augusthoward" <augusthoward@...> wrote:

        > So it sounds like the same thing is happening to you?
        >
        > The theory below is interesting - I didn't know in the past they've tried to prevent cut and paste, but either way, they need to make links clickable for people. I sent an email out for our nonprofit today to a potential donor, and it took me 8 extra minutes to re-read the email and manually convert all the URLs into links. I run the nonprofit and it's really bogging down my time to do this on every email I send out every day.
        >
        > Our nonprofit is trying to save people who are on the verge of starving from dying so the numerous hours I'm having to put into manually converting links in several thousand emails per year instead of doing my actual job is having a life or death impact on a sizeable number of people .
        >
        > I hope people give Yahoo feedback on it so it moves into their top priorities for fixes. Please anyone who happens to read this, give Yahoo feedback via the link in my original note below.
        >
        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
        > > Subject: [Y-Mail] See if the links you email are working or not, and ask Yahoo to fix the error
        > > To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
        > > Date: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 12:30 PM
        > >
        > > When you send links via Yahoo mail, they should be turned into hotlinks automatically so your recipients can open them as Yahoo explains here:
        > >
        > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/basics/basics-14.html;_ylt=AgYlpJ63F7UcrYtKQSK10xLzPXpG
        > >
        > > As of about two months ago, this very core functionality stopped working. I only discovered this by chance when I went into my Sent folder and saw that none of the links were linked. I then emailed several people who confirmed my links were not hot linked and were not openable. I've tried it on different browsers and different operating systems and different computers.
        > >

        > > <snip>

      • augusthoward
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 11, 2012
          Yes sending yourself a copy is an easy way to verify if Yahoo is not linking your links. But once a person knows they're not, then I think the key thing to do is to keep writing to Yahoo's feedback form so they move it up their priority list. Emailing ourselves copies before sending emails, then checking it takes a really long time over the course of a whole year, and then we still have to manually hotlink all the links for years.

          I believe a time saver is to get Yahoo to fix it. It only takes 1-2 minutes to write to their contact form.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sy1bzbn" <sy1bzbn@...> wrote:

          > The easiest way to verify is to send yourself a copy before sending anything important, but I thought if you were using a client instead of the web interface then nothing should have been modified.
          >
          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "augusthoward" <augusthoward@> wrote:
          > >
          > > So it sounds like the same thing is happening to you?
          > >
          > > The theory below is interesting - I didn't know in the past they've tried to prevent cut and paste, but either way, they need to make links clickable for people. I sent an email out for our nonprofit today to a potential donor, and it took me 8 extra minutes to re-read the email and manually convert all the URLs into links. I run the nonprofit and it's really bogging down my time to do this on every email I send out every day.
          > >
          > > Our nonprofit is trying to save people who are on the verge of starving from dying so the numerous hours I'm having to put into manually converting links in several thousand emails per year instead of doing my actual job is having a life or death impact on a sizeable number of people .
          > >
          > > I hope people give Yahoo feedback on it so it moves into their top priorities for fixes. Please anyone who happens to read this, give Yahoo feedback via the link in my original note below.
          > >
          > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
          > > > Subject: [Y-Mail] See if the links you email are working or not, and ask Yahoo to fix the error
          > > > To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
          > > > Date: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 12:30 PM
          > > >
          > > > When you send links via Yahoo mail, they should be turned into hotlinks automatically so your recipients can open them as Yahoo explains here:
          > > >
          > > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/basics/basics-14.html;_ylt=AgYlpJ63F7UcrYtKQSK10xLzPXpG
          > > >
          > > > As of about two months ago, this very core functionality stopped working. I only discovered this by chance when I went into my Sent folder and saw that none of the links were linked. I then emailed several people who confirmed my links were not hot linked and were not openable. I've tried it on different browsers and different operating systems and different computers.
          > > >

          > > > <snip>

        • sy1bzbn
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 11, 2012
            Were you trying to forward emails (drafted or received) when you noticed the broken links? If so, then that was the intended anti-phishing behavior and I doubt Yahoo! will making changes to that.