Interesting / worrying article about yahoo mail usage

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2011
    • Lorrie
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2011
        Yep, post something like this and scare the crap out of everyone.  Works for me - NOT!!!

        Lorrie

        Lorries Green World
        http://minilorrie.2itb.com
        Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

      • Joseph Singer
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 29, 2011
          I'm a Y! mail user from way back, but there are things that gmail just does better.  For whatever reason gmail's filters are easier to set up and better at catching kråp.

          On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 11:22, G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:

          --
          - -
          Joseph Singer, Seattle, Washington USA
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2011
            quote from that article:
            Yahoo's basic problem is that
            people are no longer looking for an all-you-can-eat service and instead want best-in-breed
            ,"
            said Ian Maude from Enders Analysis.

            so...what would happen if there was a strictly mail tool ?
            ( yahoo groups seem to be thriving as well).
            fast, efficient...good for personal or business..

            sometimes, trying to please everyone, one pleases NO one...
            and ends up falling between the cracks.

            so...be best in breed !!!

            Bastet

            (unknown author)

              I hate to say it but that article is full of hot air. Let's do an unofficial poll - who's here with YMail because it's an "all-you-can-eat" service?

            • adeomus ********
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 30, 2011

                i just use it for mail and groups

                Bastet

                (unknown author)

                I hate to say it but that article is full of hot air. Let's do an unofficial poll - who's here with YMail because it's an "all-you-can-eat" service?

                > quote from that article:
                > Yahoo's basic problem is that
                > people are no longer looking for an
                > all-you-can-eat service and instead want best-in-breed,"
                > said Ian Maude
                > from Enders Analysis.
                >

                > so...what would happen if there was a strictly mail tool ?
                > ( yahoo groups seem to be thriving as well).
                > fast, efficient...good for personal or business..
                >
                > sometimes, trying to please everyone, one pleases NO one...
                > and ends up falling between the cracks.
                >
                > so...be best in breed !!!
                >

                > -- Beloved Bast, mistress of happiness and bounty, twin of the Sun God, slay the evil that afflicts our minds as you slew the serpent Apep. With your graceful stealth anticipate the moves of all who perpetrate cruelties and stay their hands against the children of light
                > (unknown author)

                    Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

              • sy1bzbn
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 30, 2011
                  Exactly.

                  I signed up at the time because it WAS best in breed. Whether it retained that status is debatable and varies from person to person, but it was never about "all-you-can-eat". I have problem accepting someone's using YMail because of its news sites etc. Chances are it's the other way around.

                  > i just use it for mail and groups
                  >

                  > -- Beloved Bast, mistress of happiness and bounty, twin of the Sun God, slay the evil that afflicts our minds as you slew the serpent Apep. With your graceful stealth anticipate the moves of all who perpetrate cruelties and stay their hands against the children of light
                  > (unknown author)

                • David Gosling
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 31, 2011
                     Competition is good and I hope Y-mail continues to innovate and develop and thrives as I like to be loyal, even in this fast changing World. Where mistakes are made but hopefully knowledge is gained and anyone who does not make mistakes has not lived.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 31, 2011

                      yes, it was suggested to me years ago by a tech-wise friend..he loved yahoo for its simplicity and user friendliness.

                      Bastet

                      (unknown author)

                      I signed up at the time because it WAS best in breed. Whether it retained that status is debatable and varies from person to person, but it was never about "all-you-can-eat". I have problem accepting someone's using YMail because of its news sites etc. Chances are it's the other way around.

                      > i just use it for mail and groups
                      >

                      > -- Beloved Bast, mistress of happiness and bounty, twin of the Sun God, slay the evil that afflicts our minds as you slew the serpent Apep. With your graceful stealth anticipate the moves of all who perpetrate cruelties and stay their hands against the children of light
                      > (unknown author)

                    • Harryh
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2012
                        Interesting but with what meaning.  Google visitors, I believe, visit mainly for search.  Search means the user doesn't know something therefore ads should be more effective.  OTOH, Facebook hits come from folk who know what they want to find - other users.  I suppose that could mean more targeted ads based on those user's expressed interests, but after awhile one thinks that becomes a saturated situation.

                        I know the article discusses that e-mail is just so passe now.  I guess I'm just stuck with my form of asynch communication!