great features that Yahoo mail has that GMail still doesn't (and the other way round)

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2011
      1. Tabs - SOOO useful for multi tasking
      2. Antivirus checking of attachments
      3. a better search interface - can really drill down much more easily than in GMail (even new version)
      4. Facebook chat - works perfectly - can't believe they don't blow their trumpet more about this
      5. Integrated chat with Windows Live messenger as well - together with Facebook, that's way more people than those on Google talk
      6. Brilliant way to view photos and youtube videos within mail - very impressive
      7. Apps - Flickr, Picnik & Automatic Organiser still great, though amazingly not updated for 2 years
      8. Nice interface with plenty of usable themes (subjective opinion)
      9. Properly working preview pane - Gmail has an extension that allows this but can mess up the way messages read, especially with adverts
      There are however things GMail is better for:
      1. It feels like a more business like interface - calendar and docs integration
      2. Viewing attachments without opening Office
      3. Fast (but relative, who really needs every milliseconds to do stuff?!)
      4. Threaded view is good when you get your head round it, and new style is even better
      5. MUCH better integration with Android - Yahoo stopped developing their mail app in May 2011!
      6. Labels and sub labels (though not massively useful cos a good search engine largely supersedes it)
      7. It's the email everyone has nowadays. Feels much less embarrassing and more professional to say @... than @...
      I'm sure there are more things to say, but just thought I'd get the ball rolling on this discussion thread...

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2011
          Yahoo
          - Easy to add new contacts after sending a message!
          - Possibility to use apps and enhace email experience
          - Unlimited storage
          - Customer Care

          GMail
          - Can translate messages
          - Forward the whole thread
          - You can manage POP3 and IMAP behaviour
          - SSL sessions
          - Unlimited and very smart filters

          2011/12/5 G Pollara <gpollara@...>

[...]

          7. It's the email everyone has nowadays. Feels much less embarrassing and more professional to say @gmail.com than @yahoo.com
          I'm sure there are more things to say, but just thought I'd get the ball rolling on this discussion thread...

          --
          Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2011
            some good ones in there - didn't know about forwarding whole threads (though that is the same as forwarding a long email backwards and forwards thread), and the SSL sessions also important.

            Wonder if there's a way to compile this list on the yahoo group. Anyone know?

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2011
                G Pollara,

                > some good ones in there - ...
                >
                > Wonder if there's a way to compile this list on the yahoo group.

                Well, there are a couple of "wishlist" tables in the Y-Mail database; one of those might be right for the Google things not in Yahoo, and a new table could be made for the Yahoo things not in Google.

                Or, the moderators could create an Application or two.

                Or maybe this board is still in use:
                <http://suggestions.yahoo.com/?prop=mailbeta>

                -- Shal
              • fredbisard
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011

                  > Instantly I forgot another BRILLIANT feature that GMail has - drag & drop attachments.

                  personally,
                  the comparison between yahoo mail and gmail does not even exist!

                  gmail flat out sucks and was made simply for all the brain dead (google/chrome) fanboys! one of the worst web based mails on the internet!!