Contacts disappear

  • Paula Barger
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2011
      Over the last two months I have discovered at least two of my contacts (both family members, which is how I caught them) were completely deleted from my contacts.  No telling who has been erased that I haven't caught yet.

      This is a royal pain, but thankfully, I have been backing up my Yahoo contacts to Outlook since the last time (second time) they deleted over 300 of my contacts and did away with all my lists, which I managed to rebuild by going in with Classic and finding all my deleted contacts (at the time there was no button in the "new" mail for looking at deleted contacts.

      However, in this case, the disappeared contacts didn't show up in my deleted contacts folder.

      If I liked Gmail, I'd have already switched (I already have a gmail account), but I like folders, which Gmail doesn't have, because I don't like anything in my inbox.  Hotmail and Gmail get too much spam, too.  I get very little with Yahoo compared to those two.

      So, I continue with Yahoo, reluctantly, and back them up because I don't trust them not to mess things up.

      In His Grip,
      Paula Barger

      "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7
      http://www.bereanhouston.org/
    • maiaiam66
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2011
        Paula, I wonder if your missing contacts have anything to do with this issue: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/known_issues/

        Btw, Gmail does have a folders option, but they're called "labels" instead. You can create labels and sub-labels via the "settings" tab, and drag the relevant messages into each one. I also have preferred Yahoo, but as I have dozens of saved messages missing from folders due to their "issue" listed above, I may have to move over to Gmail.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Paula Barger <paulabbc@...> wrote:

        > Over the last two months I have discovered at least two of my contacts (both family members, which is how I caught them) were completely deleted from my contacts.  No telling who has been erased that I haven't caught yet.
        >
        > This is a royal pain, but thankfully, I have been backing up my Yahoo contacts to Outlook since the last time (second time) they deleted over 300 of my contacts and did away with all my lists, which I managed to rebuild by going in with Classic and finding all my deleted contacts (at the time there was no button in the "new" mail for looking at deleted contacts.
        >
        > However, in this case, the disappeared contacts didn't show up in my deleted contacts folder.
        >
        > If I liked Gmail, I'd have already switched (I already have a gmail account), but I like folders, which Gmail doesn't have, because I don't like anything in my inbox.  Hotmail and Gmail get too much spam, too.  I get very little with Yahoo compared to those two.
        >
        > So, I continue with Yahoo, reluctantly, and back them up because I don't trust them not to mess things up.
        >

        > In His Grip,
        > Paula Barger
        > "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7
        > http://www.bereanhouston.org/

      • Harryh
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2011
          Uh labels aren't quite folders.  I often use search in Gmail to find messages.  Tagging those messages with labels doesn't remove them from the inbox, so as I traverse the inbox I must find those labeled messages and manually put them in the 'quasi-label folder'.  More annoying is that POP3 collects all messages including those in the quasi folders.  Within Yahoo, folders hide messages from POP3 (but not IMAP) and when I search and move messages to folders they are gone from the inbox.

          I think the Gmail interface has it's pros and cons but the folder or label approach Gmail uses is seriously flawed from an organizational standpoint.

          Btw, Gmail does have a folders option, but they're called "labels" instead. You can create labels and sub-labels via the "settings" tab, and drag the relevant messages into each one. I also have preferred Yahoo, but as I have dozens of saved messages missing from folders due to their "issue" listed above, I may have to move over to Gmail.

          -
        • maiaiam66
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2011
            i hear ya. good distinctions.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2011
              I agree that labels aren't perfect, but then again, neither are folders. Once you ahve alot of emails under each category, the only way to find old emails is not to scroll down label or folder lists, it's search. Yahoo does this better than GMail, amazingly. Yahoo even searches within attachments. GMail doesn't do this.