Re: Help!! Why are emails randomly disappearing from folders I've created?

  • sy1bzbn
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2011
      Possible reasons at the top of my head in decending probabilities

      1. someone obtained access to your account WITH your permission in the past and continue to access your account
      2. someone obtained access to your account WITHOUT your permission and continue to access your account
      3. yahoo messed up with IMAP somehow
      4. yahoo messed up with mail database somehow

      I suspect the last case is the least possible because if true, at some point you should see error codes popping up like spring flowers.

      Remedies (?)

      1. change password AND secret questions
      2. change password AND secret questions
      3. stick with web interface on the phone instead of IMAP
      4. post to this group or call customer care, and hope someone on the inside will take a quick peek at your account.

      P.S. adding a case "0" where you may have deleted those emails yourself but forgot/not realizing what you did. No remedy there short of recording everything you do so you may backtrace in the future when needed.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "maiaiam66" <maiaiam66@...> wrote:

      > I've been a Yahoo user for well over a decade. In the last several months, I've noticed that when I've looked for certain emails in folders I created, the emails were no longer there. This has happened with emails I'd saved 5 months ago, as well as with more recent emails. I have an iPhone and suspected that somehow the messages were being deleted during the iPhone retrieval process, and took steps to remedy that possibility in my iPhone settings. However, the other day I was on my laptop looking at my Yahoo account, opened up a specific folder, and saw that 6 messages had disappeared that I was certain I'd saved (dated June 2011 to present). I opened up this same folder on my iPhone, and watched those 6 messages (that had been saved to the iPhone folder months ago) disappear from the iPhone folder, as it "updated" to the current folder contents in Yahoo. This showed me that the problem was not actually due to my iPhone, but due to the Yahoo server deleting emails without my permission! As it's been random and I don't know when it's occurring, there's no way to use the 24-hour restore option via Customer Care.
      >
      > Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, what is the remedy?
      >
      > Losing messages this way is very disturbing (and of course it's frustrating), and I'm thinking I'm going to have to move my account over to Gmail because it seems more stable. As I've had my email address for years and years, and it's my primary business address, this is going to be a big undertaking and a real hassle.
      >
      > Please help!

    • Henrique Junior
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 4, 2011

        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

        Possible reasons at the top of my head in decending probabilities

        1. someone obtained access to your account WITH your permission in the past and continue to access your account
        2. someone obtained access to your account WITHOUT your permission and continue to access your account
        3. yahoo messed up with IMAP somehow
        4. yahoo messed up with mail database somehow

        I suspect the last case is the least possible because if true, at some point you should see error codes popping up like spring flowers.

        Remedies (?)

        1. change password AND secret questions
        2. change password AND secret questions
        3. stick with web interface on the phone instead of IMAP
        4. post to this group or call customer care, and hope someone on the inside will take a quick peek at your account.

        P.S. adding a case "0" where you may have deleted those emails yourself but forgot/not realizing what you did. No remedy there short of recording everything you do so you may backtrace in the future when needed.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "maiaiam66" <maiaiam66@...> wrote:

        > I've been a Yahoo user for well over a decade. In the last several months, I've noticed that when I've looked for certain emails in folders I created, the emails were no longer there. This has happened with emails I'd saved 5 months ago, as well as with more recent emails. I have an iPhone and suspected that somehow the messages were being deleted during the iPhone retrieval process, and took steps to remedy that possibility in my iPhone settings. However, the other day I was on my laptop looking at my Yahoo account, opened up a specific folder, and saw that 6 messages had disappeared that I was certain I'd saved (dated June 2011 to present). I opened up this same folder on my iPhone, and watched those 6 messages (that had been saved to the iPhone folder months ago) disappear from the iPhone folder, as it "updated" to the current folder contents in Yahoo. This showed me that the problem was not actually due to my iPhone, but due to the Yahoo server deleting emails without my permission! As it's been random and I don't know when it's occurring, there's no way to use the 24-hour restore option via Customer Care.
        >
        > Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, what is the remedy?
        >
        > Losing messages this way is very disturbing (and of course it's frustrating), and I'm thinking I'm going to have to move my account over to Gmail because it seems more stable. As I've had my email address for years and years, and it's my primary business address, this is going to be a big undertaking and a real hassle.
        >
        > Please help!

      • sy1bzbn
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2011
          wow I'm speechless ...

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2011
            speechless +1 !!!

            > >Possible reasons at the top of my head in decending probabilities
            > >
            > >1. someone obtained access to your account WITH your permission in the past and continue to access your account
            > >2. someone obtained access to your account WITHOUT your permission and continue to access your account
            > >3. yahoo messed up with IMAP somehow
            > >4. yahoo messed up with mail database somehow
            > >
            > >I suspect the last case is the least possible because if true, at some point you should see error codes popping up like spring flowers.
            > >
            > >Remedies (?)
            > >
            > >1. change password AND secret questions
            > >2. change password AND secret questions
            > >3. stick with web interface on the phone instead of IMAP
            > >4. post to this group or call customer care, and hope someone on the inside will take a quick peek at your account.
            > >
            > >P.S. adding a case "0" where you may have deleted those emails yourself but forgot/not realizing what you did. No remedy there short of recording everything you do so you may backtrace in the future when needed.
            > >
            > >--- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "maiaiam66" <maiaiam66@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I've been a Yahoo user for well over a decade. In the last several months, I've noticed that when I've looked for certain emails in folders I created, the emails were no longer there. This has happened with emails I'd saved 5 months ago, as well as with more recent emails. I have an iPhone and suspected that somehow the messages were being deleted during the iPhone retrieval process, and took steps to remedy that possibility in my iPhone settings. However, the other day I was on my laptop looking at my Yahoo account, opened up a specific folder, and saw that 6 messages had disappeared that I was certain I'd saved (dated June 2011 to present). I opened up this same folder on my iPhone, and watched those 6 messages (that had been saved to the iPhone folder months ago) disappear from the iPhone folder, as it "updated" to the current folder contents in Yahoo. This showed me that the problem was not actually due to my iPhone, but due to the Yahoo server
            > deleting emails without my permission! As it's been random and I don't know when it's occurring, there's no way to use the 24-hour restore option via Customer Care.
            > >>
            > >> Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, what is the remedy?
            > >>
            > >> Losing messages this way is very disturbing (and of course it's frustrating), and I'm thinking I'm going to have to move my account over to Gmail because it seems more stable. As I've had my email address for years and years, and it's my primary business address, this is going to be a big undertaking and a real hassle.
            > >>
            > >> Please help!

          • maiaiam66
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
              Yup, I talked to customer care and was given that link. Didn't get any more info about it, and there have been no updates since. No guarantee that I'll be notified if/when things get fixed, or that it will be fixed at all. Awful. Definitely cause for speechlessness.

              And even in the last week, messages I've moved from my inbox into folders have disappeared! So they may not have repaired this after all. Ironically, some of the messages were ones I'd requested re-sent to me because they'd already disappeared once.

              I guess for now I'll either keep everything in my inbox (which sucks), or forward all important messages into my gmail account. I already created a new gmail account which supposedly will forward all of my messages from my yahoo account, but it's wonky and seems to freeze up. I may just have to suck it up and go for Yahoo Plus, pay the $20, and forward everything to a brand new gmail account from now on. :(

              @sy1bzbn: thanks for offering out all of those hypotheses. it's clear now that this occurrence is all yahoo's doing. only bright side is that i get to feel relieved that it's not because i lost my memory or went crazy. ;)

              > speechless +1 !!!
              >

              > ________________________________

            • sy1bzbn
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
                No sweat. I'm just surprised that yahoo is really losing it after all these years. How big a hardware failure does it have to be to cause all layers of redundancy to be rendered useless?

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
                  a very good point

                  No sweat. I'm just surprised that yahoo is really losing it after all these years. How big a hardware failure does it have to be to cause all layers of redundancy to be rendered useless?

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "maiaiam66" <maiaiam66@...> wrote:

                  > Yup, I talked to customer care and was given that link. Didn't get any more info about it, and there have been no updates since. No guarantee that I'll be notified if/when things get fixed, or that it will be fixed at all. Awful. Definitely cause for speechlessness.
                  >
                  > And even in the last week, messages I've moved from my inbox into folders have disappeared! So they may not have repaired this after all. Ironically, some of the messages were ones I'd requested re-sent to me because they'd already disappeared once.
                  >
                  > I guess for now I'll either keep everything in my inbox (which sucks), or forward all important messages into my gmail account. I already created a new gmail account which supposedly will forward all of my messages from my yahoo account, but it's wonky and seems to freeze up. I may just have to suck it up and go for Yahoo Plus, pay the $20, and forward everything to a brand new gmail account from now on. :(
                  >
                  > @sy1bzbn: thanks for offering out all of those hypotheses. it's clear now that this occurrence is all yahoo's doing. only bright side is that i get to feel relieved that it's not because i lost my memory or went crazy. ;)
                  >
                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, G Pollara <gpollara@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > speechless +1 !!!
                  > >

                  > > ________________________________

                • maiaiam66
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
                    Yeah, pretty sad. I've heard rumors of Yahoo starting to come apart at the seams.

                    This must be a hardware failure of epic proportions. Way beyond Mercury Retrograde issues ;)

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sy1bzbn" <sy1bzbn@...> wrote:

                    > No sweat. I'm just surprised that yahoo is really losing it after all these years. How big a hardware failure does it have to be to cause all layers of redundancy to be rendered useless?
                    >
                    > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "maiaiam66" <maiaiam66@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Yup, I talked to customer care and was given that link. Didn't get any more info about it, and there have been no updates since. No guarantee that I'll be notified if/when things get fixed, or that it will be fixed at all. Awful. Definitely cause for speechlessness.
                    > >
                    > > And even in the last week, messages I've moved from my inbox into folders have disappeared! So they may not have repaired this after all. Ironically, some of the messages were ones I'd requested re-sent to me because they'd already disappeared once.
                    > >
                    > > I guess for now I'll either keep everything in my inbox (which sucks), or forward all important messages into my gmail account. I already created a new gmail account which supposedly will forward all of my messages from my yahoo account, but it's wonky and seems to freeze up. I may just have to suck it up and go for Yahoo Plus, pay the $20, and forward everything to a brand new gmail account from now on. :(
                    > >
                    > > @sy1bzbn: thanks for offering out all of those hypotheses. it's clear now that this occurrence is all yahoo's doing. only bright side is that i get to feel relieved that it's not because i lost my memory or went crazy. ;)
                    > >
                    > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, G Pollara <gpollara@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > speechless +1 !!!
                    > > >

                    > > > ________________________________

                  • Harryh
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 6, 2011
                      So much for cloud storage.

                      They are working to see IF! the messages can be restored.  Oh dear.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 6, 2011
                        I'm missing mail too. This is actually the 3rd or 4th time this has happened in the past few months. Every time they simply post there was a hardware problem.

                        For example, using Google's cache you can see the same thing posted on October 20th. Same message, just a different date:

                        http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/known_issues/mltadataloss.html

                        Not a good sign.

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Henrique Junior <henriquecsj@...> wrote:

                        > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/known_issues/mltadataloss.html
                        >

                        > --
                        > Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
                        >

                        > >________________________________

                      • Morac
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 6, 2011
                          Actually between this and the annoying.

                          "There appears to be a problem loading the email [xxxx]" problem which started happening in the same time frame (probably related), I'm very close to giving up on Yahoo.

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Henrique Junior <henriquecsj@...> wrote:

                          > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/known_issues/mltadataloss.html
                          >

                          > --
                          > Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
                          >

                          > >________________________________

                        • Morac
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 6, 2011
                            The person I spoke to at customer care told me the problem has not been resolved despite what the link says.

                            When I pointed out the mismatch she quickly corrected herself to say it was fixed. Then said they aren't really sure when it will be fixed. She also told me the "There appears to be a problem loading the email [subject]" error is related to the same problem.

                            At this point I don't think it's going to be fixed and I think Yahoo is trying to cover up the problem. Like I posted they had the same exact help article posted up on October. I lost email back then as well.

                            Currently I have most of my emails backed up using an IMAP-4 program, but the problem with that is any time I run it and it syncs with Yahoo, the "backed up" emails get deleted. So I have to make backups of the IMAP-4 date every time I run it.

                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "maiaiam66" <maiaiam66@...> wrote:

                            > Yup, I talked to customer care and was given that link. Didn't get any more info about it, and there have been no updates since. No guarantee that I'll be notified if/when things get fixed, or that it will be fixed at all. Awful. Definitely cause for speechlessness.
                            >
                            > And even in the last week, messages I've moved from my inbox into folders have disappeared! So they may not have repaired this after all. Ironically, some of the messages were ones I'd requested re-sent to me because they'd already disappeared once.
                            >
                            > I guess for now I'll either keep everything in my inbox (which sucks), or forward all important messages into my gmail account. I already created a new gmail account which supposedly will forward all of my messages from my yahoo account, but it's wonky and seems to freeze up. I may just have to suck it up and go for Yahoo Plus, pay the $20, and forward everything to a brand new gmail account from now on. :(
                            >
                            > @sy1bzbn: thanks for offering out all of those hypotheses. it's clear now that this occurrence is all yahoo's doing. only bright side is that i get to feel relieved that it's not because i lost my memory or went crazy. ;)
                            >
                            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, G Pollara <gpollara@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > speechless +1 !!!

                          • Morac
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 10, 2011
                              I've "found" emails missing from as far back as August. Pretty much a large number of archived emails have been randomly disappearing since then.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 13, 2011
                                I'm getting sick of my emails disappearing. I've found any emails I move using an IMAP program (iPhone, Outlook, etc) will simply vanish in a few days.

                                I think Yahoo is flagging them as deleted when they are moved and then get purged when the Trash folder is automatically purged.

                                I've been trying to contact Yahoo to get them to look at this and they keep saying they are "investigating". It's getting very annoying since I've lost a number of important emails already.

                                I've come to start making backup copied of all my emails (forwarding them to GMail) and not using any IMAP programs to move emails (sometimes I forget).

                                I really wish there was a way to get in contact with the Yahoo Engineers.