Re: [Y-Mail] See if the links you email are working or not, and ask Yahoo to fix the error

  • Robin Siegel
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
      Mine do still appear as hot links, and yours below do too (for me).

      Robin

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
        I have no problem with links in my mail.  They open for everyone I send them to.

        Lorrie

        Lorries Green World
        http://minilorrie.2itb.com
        Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

        --- On Thu, 12/1/11, augusthoward <augusthoward@...> wrote:

        When you send links via Yahoo mail, they should be turned into hotlinks automatically so your recipients can open them as Yahoo explains here:

        http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/basics/basics-14.html;_ylt=AgYlpJ63F7UcrYtKQSK10xLzPXpG

        As of about two months ago, this very core functionality stopped working.

      • Lorrie
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
          BTW, your links came thru as hotlinks so I think it is you that has the problem.

          Lorrie

          Lorries Green World
          http://minilorrie.2itb.com
          Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

        • Bill T
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 2, 2011
            This has been happening intermittently for a long time now. More often than not the links are not working and I have to copy and paste into a new window which is a pain. I have also found that if I forward them to Outlook, the links work fine.

            This seems to be particularly happening in the daily Mail Groups update.

            I have wondered if this is another problem between Yahoo mail and IE 9.
            Bill.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Lorrie <minilorrie@...> wrote:

            > BTW, your links came thru as hotlinks so I think it is you that has the problem.
            >
            > Lorrie
            >
            > Lorries Green World
            > http://minilorrie.2itb.com
            > Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

          • Harryh
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
              I wonder if this behavior is linked to their anti-phishing approach of intentionally breaking links.  In the previous incantations even my plain text emails the links were made clickable but obscured (the HTML was OK, but the plain text often had added spaces to kill cut and paste).  I resolved that by always including my links in brackets <URL> which kept the link intact.  I do see now that the automatic interpretation that web mail used on links no longer works in my sends, but I was always using plain text not rich mail with the link insertion feature.

              When you send links via Yahoo mail, they should be turned into hotlinks automatically so your recipients can open them as Yahoo explains here:

              http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/basics/basics-14.html;_ylt=AgYlpJ63F7UcrYtKQSK10xLzPXpG

              As of about two months ago, this very core functionality stopped working. I only discovered this by chance when I went into my Sent folder and saw that none of the links were linked. I then emailed several people who confirmed my links were not hot linked and were not openable. I've tried it on different browsers and different operating systems and different computers.

              <snip>
            • augusthoward
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 10, 2011
                Because the links are working fine in your Yahoo mail doesn't mean it's working for all other people. Other people have posted in forums online that links are not working for them in Yahoo mail, so it's important that people check to see if their links are working and if they are not, to notify Yahoo as much as possible so they fix the error. If anyone reads this, scroll down to the original message so you can see if your mail is showing links to your recipients or not. If it's not, it describes how to give feedback to Yahoo.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Lorrie <minilorrie@...> wrote:

                > I have no problem with links in my mail.  They open for everyone I send them to.
                >
                > Lorrie
                >
                > Lorries Green World
                > http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                > Thompson, Manitoba, Canada
                >
                > --- On Thu, 12/1/11, augusthoward <augusthoward@...> wrote:

                > When you send links via Yahoo mail, they should be turned into hotlinks automatically so your recipients can open them as Yahoo explains here:
                >

                > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/basics/basics-14.html;_ylt=AgYlpJ63F7UcrYtKQSK10xLzPXpG
                >

                > As of about two months ago, this very core functionality stopped working.

              • R.
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 12, 2011
                  Please somebody take me off this LIST...I want these emails to stop.
                • Sasafrass452
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 12, 2011
                    There's a link to unsubscribe at the bottom of this message.

                    **Sasafrass452**
                    http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                    http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 12, 2011
                      I always find it amazing that people join a group and then do not want to get any email.  Isn't that the point of joining a group - to talk to other people??

                      Lorrie

                      Lorries Green World
                      http://minilorrie.2itb.com
                      Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 12, 2011
                          Yeah, so do I in all the groups I own (36 of them).  They  never seem to read the number of posts that are made to a group before they join.  Then when they start getting email from the group they get upset and want the owner to do something about it.  Plus people can join a group but they can't seem to figure out how to leave - they want the owner to do it for them.  I personally think they are just lazy LOL. I always tell them how to unsub, like you did and if they do not, I just leave them as members till they figure it out for themselves - I really don't have time for crybabies.  Then there are the people that blame Yahoo for every little thing that goes wrong when 9 times out of ten  it is there own doing that has caused the problem.  I have used Yahoo since 1999 and have only had one problem with my mail and Yahoo fixed it in about 2 days - guess I am just lucky LOL.
                          OK, off my soapbox LOL.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 14, 2011
                            I typed the message directly into the Yahoo Groups screen, not via email, so the links working in my post only means that Groups is working.

                            I believe people would be smart to check to see if their links are working and if they aren't, to notify Yahoo so they fix the error. If anyone hasn't checked their emails yet, scroll down to my original message to see if your mail is showing your links fine.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                              So it sounds like the same thing is happening to you?

                              The theory below is interesting - I didn't know in the past they've tried to prevent cut and paste, but either way, they need to make links clickable for people. I sent an email out for our nonprofit today to a potential donor, and it took me 8 extra minutes to re-read the email and manually convert all the URLs into links. I run the nonprofit and it's really bogging down my time to do this on every email I send out every day.

                              Our nonprofit is trying to save people who are on the verge of starving from dying so the numerous hours I'm having to put into manually converting links in several thousand emails per year instead of doing my actual job is having a life or death impact on a sizeable number of people .

                              I hope people give Yahoo feedback on it so it moves into their top priorities for fixes. Please anyone who happens to read this, give Yahoo feedback via the link in my original note below.

                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Harryh <harryh89@...> wrote:

                              > I wonder if this behavior is linked to their anti-phishing approach of intentionally breaking links.  In the previous incantations even my plain text emails the links were made clickable but obscured (the HTML was OK, but the plain text often had added spaces to kill cut and paste).  I resolved that by always including my links in brackets <URL> which kept the link intact.  I do see now that the automatic interpretation that web mail used on links no longer works in my sends, but I was always using plain text not rich mail with the link insertion feature.

                            • sy1bzbn
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                                The easiest way to verify is to send yourself a copy before sending anything important, but I thought if you were using a client instead of the web interface then nothing should have been modified.

                                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "augusthoward" <augusthoward@...> wrote:

                                > So it sounds like the same thing is happening to you?
                                >
                                > The theory below is interesting - I didn't know in the past they've tried to prevent cut and paste, but either way, they need to make links clickable for people. I sent an email out for our nonprofit today to a potential donor, and it took me 8 extra minutes to re-read the email and manually convert all the URLs into links. I run the nonprofit and it's really bogging down my time to do this on every email I send out every day.
                                >
                                > Our nonprofit is trying to save people who are on the verge of starving from dying so the numerous hours I'm having to put into manually converting links in several thousand emails per year instead of doing my actual job is having a life or death impact on a sizeable number of people .
                                >
                                > I hope people give Yahoo feedback on it so it moves into their top priorities for fixes. Please anyone who happens to read this, give Yahoo feedback via the link in my original note below.
                                >
                                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
                                > > Subject: [Y-Mail] See if the links you email are working or not, and ask Yahoo to fix the error
                                > > To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
                                > > Date: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 12:30 PM
                                > >
                                > > When you send links via Yahoo mail, they should be turned into hotlinks automatically so your recipients can open them as Yahoo explains here:
                                > >
                                > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/basics/basics-14.html;_ylt=AgYlpJ63F7UcrYtKQSK10xLzPXpG
                                > >
                                > > As of about two months ago, this very core functionality stopped working. I only discovered this by chance when I went into my Sent folder and saw that none of the links were linked. I then emailed several people who confirmed my links were not hot linked and were not openable. I've tried it on different browsers and different operating systems and different computers.
                                > >

                                > > <snip>

                              • augusthoward
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 11, 2012
                                  Yes sending yourself a copy is an easy way to verify if Yahoo is not linking your links. But once a person knows they're not, then I think the key thing to do is to keep writing to Yahoo's feedback form so they move it up their priority list. Emailing ourselves copies before sending emails, then checking it takes a really long time over the course of a whole year, and then we still have to manually hotlink all the links for years.

                                  I believe a time saver is to get Yahoo to fix it. It only takes 1-2 minutes to write to their contact form.

                                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sy1bzbn" <sy1bzbn@...> wrote:

                                  > The easiest way to verify is to send yourself a copy before sending anything important, but I thought if you were using a client instead of the web interface then nothing should have been modified.
                                  >
                                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "augusthoward" <augusthoward@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > So it sounds like the same thing is happening to you?
                                  > >
                                  > > The theory below is interesting - I didn't know in the past they've tried to prevent cut and paste, but either way, they need to make links clickable for people. I sent an email out for our nonprofit today to a potential donor, and it took me 8 extra minutes to re-read the email and manually convert all the URLs into links. I run the nonprofit and it's really bogging down my time to do this on every email I send out every day.
                                  > >
                                  > > Our nonprofit is trying to save people who are on the verge of starving from dying so the numerous hours I'm having to put into manually converting links in several thousand emails per year instead of doing my actual job is having a life or death impact on a sizeable number of people .
                                  > >
                                  > > I hope people give Yahoo feedback on it so it moves into their top priorities for fixes. Please anyone who happens to read this, give Yahoo feedback via the link in my original note below.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
                                  > > > Subject: [Y-Mail] See if the links you email are working or not, and ask Yahoo to fix the error
                                  > > > To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > > Date: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 12:30 PM
                                  > > >
                                  > > > When you send links via Yahoo mail, they should be turned into hotlinks automatically so your recipients can open them as Yahoo explains here:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/basics/basics-14.html;_ylt=AgYlpJ63F7UcrYtKQSK10xLzPXpG
                                  > > >
                                  > > > As of about two months ago, this very core functionality stopped working. I only discovered this by chance when I went into my Sent folder and saw that none of the links were linked. I then emailed several people who confirmed my links were not hot linked and were not openable. I've tried it on different browsers and different operating systems and different computers.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > <snip>

                                • sy1bzbn
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 11, 2012
                                    Were you trying to forward emails (drafted or received) when you noticed the broken links? If so, then that was the intended anti-phishing behavior and I doubt Yahoo! will making changes to that.