Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Yahoo mail features

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2011
      I fear that I may be in same category.

      I have been using Gmail for last couple of weeks and have noticed some interesting differences between them and yahoo. When I have some time, I'll write a post comparing it. Interestingly, Yahoo still has some significant advantages they don't really make the most of (or at least advertise).

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 20, 2011
        I'm using GMail too (if you take a look at my address it says @gmail), but I use Yahoo Mail's interface to manage my mails. That is that way because I have no confidence in Yahoo's products anymore and if everything goes wrong I have my mails in GMail too.
        Despite of his problems, I have to love that Yahoo is multitasking (I usually have more than one tab open), and I always know that I can contact Yahoo Customer Care to complain about issues (you can actually interact with the team, but in GMail there is no easy way to get ANY answer, everything is just a form, cold and impersonal). I love to receive and send emails with no worries about "free space" and I love the smart and intuitive interface (dragging and dropping messages) we have.
        There is a lot of crying about the new interface, but I really believe that it is the best among all other webmail services. However, I can not ignore that Yahoo seems desperate and lost, adding and removing products and features as if they did not know what to do. My loss of confidence in Yahoo's products is precisely because of that: the majority of products I like are discontinued, so it's safer not to use (and rely) in Yahoo products.
        I wish the company the better, because I hate to think that the future will be just a bunch of zombies enslaved by Google, but it has been difficult to overcome continuous frustrations as the loss of features on which I depended, and delays in adding new (features) that with sure, would make Yahoo Mail a much better product.
        It may seem tempting to please first the users who are only interested in a "cute theme", kittens and puppies, but professional webmail users, need real improvements in the way they interact with their webmail.

        --
        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

        I have been using Gmail for last couple of weeks and have noticed some interesting differences between them and yahoo. When I have some time, I'll write a post comparing it. Interestingly, Yahoo still has some significant advantages they don't really make the most of (or at least advertise).

        With due respect, let me ask you what is the meaning of suggestions which are not at all implemented by Y-mail team. We are writing here and suggesting because we love Y-mail and we as loyal users can't see Y-mail going dead end. Specially in last two years or so, Y-mail has just lost its appeal to its tech savvy users. Those users are migrating and in fact, have migrated to Gmail. Y-mail has become webmail service of above 35 age group.

        I can't understand, why do you need suggestions ? Suggestions are given to leaders and not followers. Hotmail is example of die hard follower. Unfortunately, Y-mail has even ceased follow the leader - Gmail. There are lots of facilities which are available both in Gmail and Hotmail and are not present in Y-mail except tabbed interface (I agree is one of the best feature a web-mail service should have). Here what users are suggesting is nothing but some of the features they like about Gmail and Hotmail. But due to emotional bond, they do not want to switch over to Gmail or Hotmail. We can't expect miracle from current Y-mail developer team. But please try hard to follow what Gmail and Hotmail are offering.
        On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Lee <lcline@...> wrote:

        Hi Irimia,

        We love to hear your feedback and suggestions! We welcome you to post your comments here:

        http://suggestions.yahoo.com/?prop=mailbeta

        Though we can't respond to every message, we do read through these regularly--your comments help us understand and prioritize what's important to you.

        Thanks so much for helping us make Mail better :)

        Lee
        Designer, Yahoo! Mail

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Irimia Bogdan Constantin <irimiabc@...> wrote:

        > HelloEveryBody!
        >
        > Is here just me, or a more of us, to need/want/ask for some realy new features for Yahoo mail, beyond fancy/classic interface?
        >
        > For Example I would truly like the posiblity to add label/stickers to my messages, so I could sort/find them more easy.
        >
        > Also, I would like the posibility to add subfolders to the custom created folders.
        >
        > Please, can someone give me link to where could I suggest yahoo to add implement this options?
        > I love Yahoo mail, but I feel some kind of left behind, when comparing to google or zoho, when it is about organizing email (which is what it really maters, more then interface)
        >
        > ThankYou!
        >

        > Irimia Bogdan Constantin

      • Harryh
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
          Interesting article in the latest Fortune magazine regarding Facebook and Google+.  Google apparently decided that they were losing market share to Facebook so they built a competitor.  Of course, they spent a lot of effort on building a better Facebook particularly around privacy zones (circles).  Facebook responded by putting most of their staff (way smaller than Google's staff) to counter the advances made by Google.

          Given the now enormous resources available to Google and building at Facebook,  These two giants are now dominating.  Salary in the valley has inflated wildly as these two giants compete for talent.  Yahoo hasn't a prayer attempting to compete in that space.

          Opening up groups API and mail API might go a long way to extending Yahoo's influence, but given the current architecture it might be impossible.  Yahoo's insular approach is a real issue.

[...]

          <snip>__

        • Sumit Mehta
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
            Very true. I also feel the same.