Big backwards step for yahoo mail - the end of Updates tab!

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 21, 2011

      Why? why? why? This was an EXCELLENT feature, and a real bonus over other webmails. I use the Facebook & Twitter feed a lot.

      Could it be a trade off for integrating the Calendar?

      So disappointed.
    • Henrique Junior
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 21, 2011
        Only one in a long list of disappointments... I kind of rely on this.

        --
        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 21, 2011
          Me too. Sadly, these kind of unilateral decisions, especially after making a big fan fare when introducing Facebook and Twitter integration, etc... is a massive disappointment. Won't do anything rash, but gives me little to no confidence in the email service and may consider leaving. Ridiculous. Not even an explanation (e.g. usage statistics, etc...) Reminds me of the abandonment of the integrated RSS reader, if anyone remembers that.

          Only one in a long list of disappointments... I kind of rely on this.

          --
          Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

          >________________________________

        • Tracy Britton
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 21, 2011
            Definately makes me think twice about switching totally to hotmail or gmail....so many dissapointments and they are far behind microsoft and google....

            To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
            From: gpollara@...
            Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:08:52 -0700

            Me too. Sadly, these kind of unilateral decisions, especially after making a big fan fare when introducing Facebook and Twitter integration, etc... is a massive disappointment. Won't do anything rash, but gives me little to no confidence in the email service and may consider leaving. Ridiculous. Not even an explanation (e.g. usage statistics, etc...) Reminds me of the abandonment of the integrated RSS reader, if anyone remembers that.

            Only one in a long list of disappointments... I kind of rely on this.

            --
            Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

            >________________________________

          • Ginger CD
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 21, 2011
              It is clearly an ongoing example of Yahoo's plan to render their services totally usless. Anything remotely smacking of usefullness is on the list for elimination.

              Contacts update and communication was first on the list and they succeeded.
              Now Mail!
              Flickr next?

              I am not sure if Microsoft would be any worse. Except the guarantee that anything hinting of adult will be gone.

              Gin

              > http://help.yahoo.com/l/uk/yahoo/mail/ymail/context/mltaycweol.html
              >
              > Why? why? why? This was an EXCELLENT feature, and a real bonus over other webmails. I use the Facebook & Twitter feed a lot.
              >
              > Could it be a trade off for integrating the Calendar?
              >
              > So disappointed.

            • Henrique Junior
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 21, 2011
                I've opened too many concessions to continue using Yahoo Mail, perhaps after this new disappointment, it's my time to change to some other service.

                --
                Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

                >________________________________

              • Jen
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 21, 2011
                  in my opinion it doesnt bother me one bit my updates never stay linked anyway im fine with it just saying

                • adeomus ********
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 21, 2011

                    i still think that it might be good to give some people a very streamlined, basic product...
                    e-mail, personal and groups....
                    for those who do not social network.

                    and to give others the other options.

                    similar idea to apps ???

                    Bastet
                    Crows

                    (unknown author).

                        Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 22, 2011
                      Agree completely. Basic, fast, streamlined service (which has been achieved with new version), but ability to add things on like with apps. What is frustrating, is when the extra services are pushed heavily and then a year later, they are taken away without any explanation.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 22, 2011

                        simplicity and consistency would be big sellers, i think.

                        Bastet
                        Crows

                        (unknown author).

                        Agree completely. Basic, fast, streamlined service (which has been achieved with new version), but ability to add things on like with apps. What is frustrating, is when the extra services are pushed heavily and then a year later, they are taken away without any explanation.

                        in my opinion it doesnt bother me one bit my updates never stay linked anyway im fine with it just saying

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ginger CD" <gingergmc@...> wrote:

                        > It is clearly an ongoing example of Yahoo's plan to render their services totally usless. Anything remotely smacking of usefullness is on the list for elimination.
                        >
                        > Contacts update and communication was first on the list and they succeeded.
                        > Now Mail!
                        > Flickr next?
                        >
                        > I am not sure if Microsoft would be any worse. Except the guarantee that anything hinting of adult will be gone.
                        >
                        > Gin
                        >
                        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, G Pollara <gpollara@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/uk/yahoo/mail/ymail/context/mltaycweol.html
                        > >
                        > > Why? why? why? This was an EXCELLENT feature, and a real bonus over other webmails. I use the Facebook & Twitter feed a lot.
                        > >
                        > > Could it be a trade off for integrating the Calendar?
                        > >
                        > > So disappointed.

                            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      • Silk
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 23, 2011
                          Are "updates" really necessary ? I never update and my computer is working fine?
                          There are so many superfulous things in the computer world..Why? Because there
                          are people who like "fooling around" the the computer"..sort of a hobby..
                          Nothing wrong with that.. t lets call it what it is.. unecessary fooling around.. Nothing more nothing less. Problem is that a newbie may think they need all this crap!
                          Like adeomuas says.."simplicity and consistency",,

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 23, 2011
                            I never access Facebook and Twitter, but my webmail is allways open. To me, the end of Updates in Yahoo Mail means that I'll stop sharing updates because, for sure, I don't want any external app to do what Yahoo Mail was doing and I'm not going to access Facebook and Twitter.

                            --
                            Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

                            Agree completely. Basic, fast, streamlined service (which has been achieved with new version), but ability to add things on like with apps. What is frustrating, is when the extra services are pushed heavily and then a year later, they are taken away without any explanation.

                            in my opinion it doesnt bother me one bit my updates never stay linked anyway im fine with it just saying

                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ginger CD" <gingergmc@...> wrote:

                            > It is clearly an ongoing example of Yahoo's plan to render their services totally usless. Anything remotely smacking of usefullness is on the list for elimination.
                            >
                            > Contacts update and communication was first on the list and they succeeded.
                            > Now Mail!
                            > Flickr next?
                            >
                            > I am not sure if Microsoft would be any worse. Except the guarantee that anything hinting of adult will be gone.
                            >
                            > Gin
                            >
                            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, G Pollara <gpollara@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/uk/yahoo/mail/ymail/context/mltaycweol.html
                            > >
                            > > Why? why? why? This was an EXCELLENT feature, and a real bonus over other webmails. I use the Facebook & Twitter feed a lot.
                            > >
                            > > Could it be a trade off for integrating the Calendar?
                            > >
                            > > So disappointed.

                                Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                          • Sasafrass452
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 23, 2011
                              Are updates necessary? Not if you don't mind leaving your computer open to hackers....

                              **Sasafrass452**
                              http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                              http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 23, 2011
                                Updates do not protect your computer from hackers....
                                At least not on this planet..

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 23, 2011
                                  hang on a second - we've gone off subject here. All I was talking about was the Updates tab in Yahoo Mail. This is not a discussion about the merits of all computer updates.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 23, 2011
                                    Is that possible that Yahoo is getting rid of the Updates tab just to open more room to Calendar?[1]
                                    If yes, this is stupid.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 23, 2011
                                      ha ha - I knew it - thanks for reminding us.

                                      Agree though - crazy move - do new features have to be traded for old ones these days?! Makes you wonder when those will also become forgotten like previous new developments (e.g. applications, updates, etc...)

                                      hang on a second - we've gone off subject here. All I was talking about was the Updates tab in Yahoo Mail. This is not a discussion about the merits of all computer updates.

                                      Updates do not protect your computer from hackers....
                                      At least not on this planet..

                                      Agree completely. Basic, fast, streamlined service (which has been achieved with new version), but ability to add things on like with apps. What is frustrating, is when the extra services are pushed heavily and then a year later, they are taken away without any explanation.

                                      in my opinion it doesnt bother me one bit my updates never stay linked anyway im fine with it just saying

                                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ginger CD" <gingergmc@...> wrote:

                                      > It is clearly an ongoing example of Yahoo's plan to render their services totally usless. Anything remotely smacking of usefullness is on the list for elimination.
                                      >
                                      > Contacts update and communication was first on the list and they succeeded.
                                      > Now Mail!
                                      > Flickr next?
                                      >
                                      > I am not sure if Microsoft would be any worse. Except the guarantee that anything hinting of adult will be gone.
                                      >
                                      > Gin
                                      >
                                      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, G Pollara <gpollara@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/uk/yahoo/mail/ymail/context/mltaycweol.html
                                      > >
                                      > > Why? why? why? This was an EXCELLENT feature, and a real bonus over other webmails. I use the Facebook & Twitter feed a lot.
                                      > >
                                      > > Could it be a trade off for integrating the Calendar?
                                      > >
                                      > > So disappointed.

                                          Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                    • tracy024
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 24, 2011
                                        Does this mean with this updates tab going away that we won't have facebook chat in yahoo mail? I don't really use the updates tab but I do use the fb chat feature. Thanks!

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 24, 2011
                                          That's a very good question. I would presume they'll keep the Facebook chat, which I agree is a great feature. However, given the way the Updates tab issue has been handled (or rather not explained), who knows. Hope it stays.

                                          Does this mean with this updates tab going away that we won't have facebook chat in yahoo mail? I don't really use the updates tab but I do use the fb chat feature. Thanks!

                                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <ladybugs_n_fairies@...> wrote:

                                          > in my opinion it doesnt bother me one bit my updates never stay linked anyway im fine with it just saying
                                          >
                                          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ginger CD" <gingergmc@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > It is clearly an ongoing example of Yahoo's plan to render their services totally usless. Anything remotely smacking of usefullness is on the list for elimination.
                                          > >
                                          > > Contacts update and communication was first on the list and they succeeded.
                                          > > Now Mail!
                                          > > Flickr next?
                                          > >
                                          > > I am not sure if Microsoft would be any worse. Except the guarantee that anything hinting of adult will be gone.
                                          > >
                                          > > Gin
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, G Pollara <gpollara@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/uk/yahoo/mail/ymail/context/mltaycweol.html
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Why? why? why? This was an EXCELLENT feature, and a real bonus over other webmails. I use the Facebook & Twitter feed a lot.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Could it be a trade off for integrating the Calendar?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > So disappointed.

                                        • Sumit Mehta
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 1, 2011
                                            Please don't think twice before switching to Gmail or Hotmail. Infact, Yahoo! itself hints us to switch over to Gmail or Hotmail by their poor progress. Today Gmail launched new look. It is just great. Nobody can match Gmail for its ease to use interface and features. Hotmail is also far more better than Y-mail. Microsoft is at last paying attention to the needs of its users and improving Hotmail as per user feedback. But Yahoo is watching these developements quitely and indirectly asking us "Why don't you move to better services so that we can shut our y-mail service like we did with briefcase and others products.

                                            To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: gpollara@...
                                            Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:08:52 -0700

                                            Me too. Sadly, these kind of unilateral decisions, especially after making a big fan fare when introducing Facebook and Twitter integration, etc... is a massive disappointment. Won't do anything rash, but gives me little to no confidence in the email service and may consider leaving. Ridiculous. Not even an explanation (e.g. usage statistics, etc...) Reminds me of the abandonment of the integrated RSS reader, if anyone remembers that.

                                            Only one in a long list of disappointments... I kind of rely on this.

                                            --
                                            Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

                                          • Henrique Junior
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 2, 2011
                                              New Gmail is great, but **every** mail service have issues, this is a fact. Hotmail is trying to improve because it was considered the 'Ugly Duckling' of mail services and even the developers know that a large proportion of its users feel embarrassed to say that their mail addresses is @....