// SPAM Folder

  • adeomus ********
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
      my spam folder never has the chance to empty on its own cuz i find things in there that are not spam every day.....
      i don't mind, i just check it every time it says there is anything in there..and delete stuff i don't want.

      adds

      Bastet
      Crows

      (unknown author).

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
        I suppose since I get a bunch of spam on a regular basis, I must check the folder regularly.  I must check because the Yahoo spam detection often has false positives.  It's interesting the Gmail has many fewer false positives and further Gmail seems to reject some spam at their gateway.  As a result of the false positives I check the spam folder and manually delete messages on each visit.

        If I've been away for a few days the spam folder can accumulate >500 messages so checking can be a PITA, but it must be done.

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
          I too get some false positives. And  yes I check my spam folder for those. I was hoping I could just leave the junk in there and it the software would make it go away.

          >________________________________

          2011, 11:06 AM

          >>So delete them yourself - how hard is that??  Only takes a couple of clicks.  Why do people expect Yahoo to do everything for them??
          >>
          >>Lorrie
          >>

          >>--- On Mon, 10/3/11, Rob <rob.weigle@...> wrote:
          >>

          >>>In the option settings I have it set to delete after 1 week. When I checked a week ago, there were messages which had been there for several weeks anyway. Customer Service 'refreshed' my account (whatever that means) and I had to wait a week to see if it took. It didn't! Now I have to wait another week to see if what they tried this time worked.

        • fredbisard
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Rob <rob.weigle@...> wrote:

            > My SPAM folder is not emptying as I have specified to Spamguard. Is anyone else having this problem?

            never have figured the sense of a spam folder and i have mine set to not even be used.

            i mean, what's the sense of having to check another folder just to delete 99% of the stuff there. may as well just let it go into the inbox and delete it instantly without messing around!
          • Henrique Junior
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
              I have no complains about Yahoo's SPAM detection system. I use my mail for almost everything: work, contact my family, a lot of discussion lists and it is very common that I receive over 150 emails a day, but even with all this flux, probably the system generates one or two false positives a month. That sounds very impressive to me.

              --
              Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

              >________________________________

            • Harryh
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
                As far as I know, there is NO spam detection scheme that is perfect.  The Internet was not designed for security but for ease of use.  We suffer in spite of a bunch of schemes.  The price is spam.  If only ISPs would really enforce their TOS; if only Yahoo would actually act on group generated spam; if only...

                I too get some false positives. And  yes I check my spam folder for those. I was hoping I could just leave the junk in there and it the software would make it go away.

                >________________________________

                2011, 11:06 AM

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
                  You obviously get less mail than I.  The spam filter helps reduce the clutter in my inbox.  Once in the spam folder I can rapidly screen the messages and remove the false positives.

                  I must admit I belong to a bunch of groups that have long been subsumed by spammers but remain marginally useful.  I know I or other might regain control, but it's effort I'd rather not make.

                  > My SPAM folder is not emptying as I have specified to Spamguard. Is anyone else having this problem?

                  never have figured the sense of a spam folder and i have mine set to not even be used.

                  i mean, what's the sense of having to check another folder just to delete 99% of the stuff there. may as well just let it go into the inbox and delete it instantly without messing around!

                • Sasafrass452
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
                    That's why I never use an email provider's built in spam detection. Too many legit emails get marked as spam while real spam sometimes slips through to the inbox. The problem is that they don't know the email addresses you receive mail from.... only you do. And most webmail providers don't have adequate message filters, which is why I use Thunderbird. The key is a "NOT in addressbook" filter. While this may not be perfect for everyone, it does eliminate 100% of the spam from your inbox while leaving the legit mail there, provided the address is in your addressbook. This is where it isn't perfect for everyone, particularly with business correspondence. But if you're like me & rarely get a legit email from an unknown address, then it's by far the single best way to handle spam.

                    **Sasafrass452**
                    http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                    http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                    On 10/04/2011 11:27 AM, Harryh wrote:

                    As far as I know, there is NO spam detection scheme that is perfect.  The Internet was not designed for security but for ease of use.  We suffer in spite of a bunch of schemes.  The price is spam.  If only ISPs would really enforce their TOS; if only Yahoo would actually act on group generated spam; if only...

                    I too get some false positives. And  yes I check my spam folder for those. I was hoping I could just leave the junk in there and it the software would make it go away.

                    2011, 11:06 AM

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
                      agree with you Henrique - i have a similar experience (though prob a few less emails / day).