Re: Yahoo Beta with IE7

  • jlreese5
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
      Thanks Chris for the great info on merging Yahoo Beta with IE7. I
      am computer illiterate however I did figure out how to merge the old
      IE6 into the registry editor. Now I have this great IE7 interface
      along with the Yahoo Beta Email which I think is also great...just
      has a
      few kinks here and there. P.S. for those of you (like Me) who
      didn't quite get what to do...open up the below .reg file and save
      it to your desktop. then go to RUN and type REGEDIT to open up your
      registry editor. Click on Files and Import and chose the file you
      previously saved...and tada! BetaEmail works!
      Thanks again
      Janet

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "chris.price" <pricecs@...> wrote:

      > I just posted about this in my new (un)official capacity here:
      >
      > http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/02/01/using-ie7-and-y-mail-beta/
      >
      > It's easier to grab a per-built .reg file from here:
      >
      > http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx
      >
      > Use the last one at the bottom of the page.
      >
      > Chris.
      >
      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Pacheco"
      > <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Chris,
      > >
      > > I double-checked and those values are not in the registry. So
      you
      > > are right, but I know it said succesful last time I did it.
      > >
      > > So here's my problem now. I get the following error message:
      > >
      > > Cannot import C:/././ie.reg: The specified file is not a
      registry
      > > script. You can only import binary registry files from within
      the
      > > registry editor.
      > >
      > > This group does not allow attachments, so I copied the text
      between
      > > the lines.
      > > Saved as ie.reg onto my desktop
      > > SAVE AS TYPE: all files
      > > ENCODING: ANSI
      > >
      > > Right-click ---- merge.
      > >
      > > Is the encoding the problem, should it be one of the other
      choices?
      > > What am I doing wrong.
      > >
      > > thanks,
      > > Nelson
      > >

      > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid.
      How do
      > > you merge
      > > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg"
      and
      > > with the
      > > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is
      open
      > > the file.
      > > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
      > > time since I
      > > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
      > > >

      > > > For God and Country,
      > > > Sarah Flemming
      > > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
      > > >
      > > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be
      > > established." --
      > > > Proverbs 16:3

      Registry
      > > changes -
      > > > see this picture to see Y! Mail Beta in IE7 Beta2:
      > > >
      > > > http://static.flickr.com/17/94054941_fe737c3234_o.jpg
      > > >
      > > > I've attached the actual .reg file that will set IE to tell
      pages
      > > to pretend
      > > > to be IE6, and below is the contents of the file incase the
      > > attachment is
      > > > blocked. All you do is merge these entries into your Registry.
      > > >

      > > > **** Put into new text file with .reg extension ****
      > > >
      > > > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer
      > > sion\Int
      > > > rnet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
      > > > "Version"="MSIE 6.0"

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer
      > > sion\Int
      > > > rnet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
      > > > "SV1"=""
      > > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet
      > > Explorer\Version
      > > > Vector]
      > > > "IE"="6.0000"

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Interne
      > > > Settings\5.0\User Agent]
      > > > "Version"="MSIE 6.0"

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Interne
      > > > Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
      > > > "SV1"=""
      > > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
      Explorer\Version
      > > Vector]
      > > > "IE"="6.0000"
      > > >

      > > > **** Copy between these lines ****
      > > >

      > > > Be warned - it's looking like this IE doesn't render the
      Compose
      > > properly -
      > > > my deletes and pastes are showing up a little strange.
      > > >
      > > > Chris

    • Chris Price
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
        Well - I wouldn't say IE7 is great :)

        Firefox is way better - and not in beta...

        Chris.

> [...]

        > > Nelson
        > >

        > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid.
        How do
        > > you merge
        > > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg"
        and
        > > with the
        > > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is
        open
        > > the file.
        > > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
        > > time since I
        > > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
        > > >

        > > > For God and Country,
        > > > Sarah Flemming
        > > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
        > > >
        > > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be

        Expert advice Expert Advice
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

      • R . S a h a y
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2006
          Thanks Chris
          Your answer did it for me.
          IE7 and Yahoo mail beta is wonderful.
          I am a plus subscriber in India with .com email address.
          rrs