Re: Giving up on Yahoo Mail

  • mannar
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
      Well ive got a question...
      1.Whats wrong if Y! mail is similar to Outlook,,does it really matter?
      isnt the new inteface convenient
      2.Why do we need innovation? Add LABELS and CONVERSATION
      threading..tell me whats the diff between Y! mail and Gmail..or is tht
      there other things u want..
      Y! interface is old and tried(tired) eitherway..i wud differ its brand
      new for most of the ppl who use it..

      Tell features rnt as good as gmail.may be..but not the interface....

      The thing is jus be patient...im sure we r goin to get new
      features(labels and conv threading)in near feature...
      And im sure when Y! gets them they say its a copy so i will switch to
      gmail.. LOL
      ThnX
      Mannar

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "ray_in_seattle" <ray_matthieu@...> wrote:

      > I've been a Yahoo Mail Plus subscriber for years, and I've been using
      > the Beta for the past few weeks. Lately, I've come to the conclusion
      > that Yahoo Mail is going in the wrong direction. The bottom line is
      > that I simply don't like the new interface.
      >
      > This new interface is just an old and tired approach to email. It's
      > Outlook, pure and simple. Where's the innovation?
      >
      > I'm off to GMail.

    • rainy day
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
        I am busy. I like to send my mail straight out. I don't have time to type in numbers and letters everytime i send out new mail or responces. It's a pain in the a**! I PAY for an account. I think people who pay for accounts shouldn't have to do this.

        mannar <mannar_kns@...> wrote: Well ive got a question...
        1.Whats wrong if Y! mail is similar to Outlook,,does it really matter?
        isnt the new inteface convenient
        2.Why do we need innovation? Add LABELS and CONVERSATION
        threading..tell me whats the diff between Y! mail and Gmail..or is tht
        there other things u want..
        Y! interface is old and tried(tired) eitherway..i wud differ its brand
        new for most of the ppl who use it..

        Tell features rnt as good as gmail.may be..but not the interface....

        The thing is jus be patient...im sure we r goin to get new
        features(labels and conv threading)in near feature...
        And im sure when Y! gets them they say its a copy so i will switch to
        gmail.. LOL
        ThnX
        Mannar

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "ray_in_seattle" <ray_matthieu@...> wrote:

        > I've been a Yahoo Mail Plus subscriber for years, and I've been using
        > the Beta for the past few weeks. Lately, I've come to the conclusion
        > that Yahoo Mail is going in the wrong direction. The bottom line is
        > that I simply don't like the new interface.
        >
        > This new interface is just an old and tired approach to email. It's
        > Outlook, pure and simple. Where's the innovation?
        >
        > I'm off to GMail.

        ---------------------------------

        http://www.frappr.com/kissarmyrules (11 members strong)
        www.Rainyz.com

        Rain

      • Jason Gische
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
          I am also a paid yahoo user, and a gmail user.

          Personally, I really like the new interface. It is way better than the old one.

          Having said that, the thing that gmail has over yahoo still (besides being free) is the threading. I'm not sold on the labels vs folders idea since i think it really just causes more work. But threaded messages is an absolute must in a day where mailing lists abound.

          I find it amusing that the main thing I use gmail for is to receive messages from yahoo groups.

          ------ Jason Gische gische@...

          1.Whats wrong if Y! mail is similar to Outlook,,does it really matter?
          isnt the new inteface convenient
          2.Why do we need innovation? Add LABELS and CONVERSATION
          threading..tell me whats the diff between Y! mail and Gmail..or is tht
          there other things u want..
          Y! interface is old and tried(tired) eitherway..i wud differ its brand
          new for most of the ppl who use it..

          Tell features rnt as good as gmail.may be..but not the interface....

          The thing is jus be patient...im sure we r goin to get new
          features(labels and conv threading)in near feature...
          And im sure when Y! gets them they say its a copy so i will switch to
          gmail.. LOL
          ThnX
          Mannar

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "ray_in_seattle" <ray_matthieu@...> wrote:

          > I've been a Yahoo Mail Plus subscriber for years, and I've been using
          > the Beta for the past few weeks. Lately, I've come to the conclusion
          > that Yahoo Mail is going in the wrong direction. The bottom line is
          > that I simply don't like the new interface.
          >
          > This new interface is just an old and tired approach to email. It's
          > Outlook, pure and simple. Where's the innovation?
          >
          > I'm off to GMail.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

        • Michael Taylor-Judd
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
            Where do I start? :-)

            I'm personally not a big fan of Microsoft products. I don't find them to be particularly innovative. And if I wanted an online version of Outlook, then I would be pestering Microsoft to produce such a product rather than Yahoo.

            ON the other hand, if this is where Yahoo wants to head with its interface, then there is MUCH MORE WORK to be done.

            For example, Outlook lets me flag messages from within the e-mail. It also lets me use more than one color to do so. And it offers pop-up reminders that can be set with them as well.

            Another example of where Yahoo still needs to stretch to be more Outlook is in the Rules function. I am quite happy with my filtering options in Yahoo, but Outlook is far more robust in what I can have it look for and do with e-mails.

            Michael
            Seattle, WA

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
              MS is responding to your pestering - their Hotmail beta looks an awful lot like Outlook Web Access.

              I agree there is a bunch of functionality still missing in Y! Beta - even compared to the regular version. It is still early days - v0.3 implies some ways to go before the full release. Remember also that GMail is still in Beta and has been out far longer, so it can take a while.

              Chris.

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
                Knock yourself out - we'll keep the light on here in case you come back.

                Chris.

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
                  Huh? Not sure what you mean by that, I don't have this problem & I'm a
                  paid member as well. Can you elaborate?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Michael Taylor-Judd <mickymse.geo@...>
                    wrote:
                    >I'm personally not a big fan of Microsoft products.

                    Me neither. That's why I use FireFox & ThunderBird... on Linux :P

                    >I am quite happy with my filtering options in Yahoo, but Outlook is
                    far more robust in what I can have it look for and do with e-mails.

                    I must disagree with you there, Thunderbird has better filters IMO. I
                    can tell it to delete any emails from senders that are not in my
                    address book, which is perfect for keeping spam from my inbox. Outlook
                    can't do that.... TB's filters are also easier to use. I tried helping
                    my mother with her filters in outlook/outlook express & it was just
                    too confusing for me. She mainly uses Incredimail now :P
                  • Rainy Day
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
                      In order to send an email (they say it is to prevent spam), I have to type
                      in a code provided at the bottom of the page each tome I send an email or
                      respond to anything. It is very annoying.

                      Huh? Not sure what you mean by that, I don't have this problem & I'm a
                      paid member as well. Can you elaborate?

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, rainy day <kissunplugged96@...> wrote:

                      >I don't have time to type in numbers and letters everytime i send out
                      new mail or responces.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • rainy

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 5, 2006
                          What code? Perhaps you're referring to a receipt? You should be able
                          to turn that off in your email client settings. What email client are
                          you using? In Thunderbird, it's in the account settings. If you want
                          to prevent spam from reaching your inbox, I recommend using
                          Thunderbird. It has a filter setting to delete any email from senders
                          that are not in your address book. Let me know if this helps.

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Rainy Day" <padookie@...> wrote:

                          > In order to send an email (they say it is to prevent spam), I have
                          to type
                          > in a code provided at the bottom of the page each tome I send an
                          email or
                          > respond to anything. It is very annoying.
                        • Trish
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 5, 2006
                            Eh, to each his/her own.

                            On 2/5/06, sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@...> wrote:

                            > What code? Perhaps you're referring to a receipt? You should be able
                            > to turn that off in your email client settings. What email client are
                            > you using? In Thunderbird, it's in the account settings. If you want
                            > to prevent spam from reaching your inbox, I recommend using
                            > Thunderbird. It has a filter setting to delete any email from senders
                            > that are not in your address book. Let me know if this helps.
                            >
                            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Rainy Day" <padookie@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > In order to send an email (they say it is to prevent spam), I have
                            > to type
                            > > in a code provided at the bottom of the page each tome I send an
                            > email or
                            > > respond to anything. It is very annoying.
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Nancy J
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 5, 2006
                              From: sasafrass452
                              wrote:
                              >I'm personally not a big fan of Microsoft products.

                              Me neither. That's why I use FireFox & ThunderBird... on Linux :P

                              >I am quite happy with my filtering options in Yahoo, but Outlook is
                              far more robust in what I can have it look for and do with e-mails.

                              I must disagree with you there, Thunderbird has better filters IMO. I
                              can tell it to delete any emails from senders that are not in my
                              address book, which is perfect for keeping spam from my inbox. Outlook
                              can't do that.... TB's filters are also easier to use. I tried helping
                              my mother with her filters in outlook/outlook express & it was just
                              too confusing for me. She mainly uses Incredimail now :P

                              I have no problems using Outlook Express. I disable attachments, and with my filters, its all good. I'm sure its not as powerful as TB as far as spam filters or as secure I've heard, but its not the awful email client that some people claim either.

                              But then, I don't have many problems here at Yahoo or Gmail either. Yahoo has really cleaned up its act in the last 2 years, and filters most of the crap they used to let through.

                              I may start using TB (I've been threatening to do so for about 2 years -- but too lazy to reconfig my email account now! LOL). I see the value in Linux too (I have my Knoppix CD version and Mepis ready to burn to CD or flash drive). I'll get to it sooner than later I expect.

                              But, with all of its bad press for being vulnerable to exploits, I like WinXP Professional. Very stable (with all of its flaws), and with a router and decent VS and updates and Firewall, and user accounts its been very very good to me so far. Better than Win98 by 1000 percent. Even though I'm running WinXP Pro on 500mhz processor -- its still 100 percent faster than Win98.

                              L8! Nancy J Ordinaryfoolisnj@... "Heroes are people who rise to the occasion and slip quietly away. Tom Brokaw http://360.yahoo.com/ordinaryfoolisnj