Re: [Y-Mail] Hacking of contacts

  • Shal Farley
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2011
      Henry H,

      >How do I keep hackers from taking my contacts and sending ads to them?

      Has something already happened, or are you asking for precautionary measures?

      As precautions:

      Don't sign in to webmail from a Wi-Fi connection unless you're sure the connection is secure. Open hot-spots can subject you to session hijacking (technically, so can wired connections, but I don't think that's very common).

      Don't sign in to webmail from library, kiosk, cafe or other computers unless you're sure they are secure. That goes for your own computer(s) too, but with computers owned by other you are particularly exposed to the risk that the computer may be compromised by a keylogger or other spy device or spy software that will capture your password.

      On your own computer, avoid risky behavior. That includes the old advice against opening email attachments but also means avoiding clicking on links proffered by others. Those may contain or lead to exploits of your computer.

      Use a strong password, and don't use that same password for any other purpose. This can be difficult advice to follow without the help of a password manager. With a program like Password Safe you can, as I do, use a different, randomly generated, password for each service.
      <http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/>

      -- Shal
    • adeomus ********
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2011
        and avoid Grouply ( if they still exist)...and perhaps there are similar groups
        ...they do take your contacts to spam.......
        and if you belong to groups they will take the posts from those groups and post them on their own site.
        we do not permit grouply or other similar entities on our groups.

        adds

        Bastet
        Crows

        (unknown author).