IMAP

  • Karin Corbeil
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
      I've been experimenting using IMAP to download messages from my Yahoo
      Mail Plus account. It works great in receiving messages and deleting
      from the server...but it will not send.

      My settings are:
      Incoming - imap.mail.yahoo.com - Port 993 SSL is checked
      Outgoing - smtp.mail.yahoo.com - Port 465 SSL is checked
      Logon using Secure Password Authentication is not checked.

      Suggestions?

      Thanks.

      Karin Corbeil

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
          It's on my desktop.

          I use either Thunderbird 3.1 or Outlook Express 6.
          Operating system Windows XP.

          Karin

          > Is this for mobile or desktop access. If the latter, which program
          are you using. There is a known issue with zimbra desktop that won't be
          resolved till mid September.

          > Karin Corbeil <kvictoria@...> wrote:
          >

          > I've been experimenting using IMAP to download messages from my Yahoo
          > Mail Plus account. It works great in receiving messages and deleting
          > from the server...but it will not send.
          >
          > My settings are:
          > Incoming - imap.mail.yahoo.com - Port 993 SSL is checked
          > Outgoing - smtp.mail.yahoo.com - Port 465 SSL is checked
          > Logon using Secure Password Authentication is not checked.
          >
          > Suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Karin Corbeil

        • Dennis Patriarca
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
            I have IMAP set up in Outlook Express on my desktop for a free Y-Mail account with
            the @... domain. I agree that it works great.

            I initially had problems in sending as well. What I did was under the Servers tab, I
            checked the "My server requires authentication" box. I don't use Thunderbird, but it
            must have a similar setting somewhere

            All my other incoming and outgoing servers are configured the same as you originally
            wrote below. Hope this helps.

            Dennis

            I use either Thunderbird 3.1 or Outlook Express 6.
            Operating system Windows XP.

            Karin

            > Is this for mobile or desktop access. If the latter, which program
            are you using. There is a known issue with zimbra desktop that won't be
            resolved till mid September.

            > Karin Corbeil <kvictoria@...> wrote:
            >

            > I've been experimenting using IMAP to download messages from my Yahoo
            > Mail Plus account. It works great in receiving messages and deleting
            > from the server...but it will not send.
            >
            > My settings are:
            > Incoming - imap.mail.yahoo.com - Port 993 SSL is checked
            > Outgoing - smtp.mail.yahoo.com - Port 465 SSL is checked
            > Logon using Secure Password Authentication is not checked.
            >
            > Suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Karin Corbeil

          • audioguy22
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
              ..ok ..i'm confused

              ...these IMAP settings work for me too !! ..using winxp / outtlook express 6

              ....wonder why ?? yahoo would allow this to be down-loaded on a *FREE* (( READ : NON-premium )) email account ??

              ...thanxx for the cool details . .

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Patriarca" <dennpat@...> wrote:

              > I have IMAP set up in Outlook Express on my desktop for a free Y-Mail account with
              > the @... domain. I agree that it works great.
              >
              > I initially had problems in sending as well. What I did was under the Servers tab, I
              > checked the "My server requires authentication" box. I don't use Thunderbird, but it
              > must have a similar setting somewhere
              >
              > All my other incoming and outgoing servers are configured the same as you originally
              > wrote below. Hope this helps.
              >
              > Dennis

            • Sasafrass452
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
                You really should upgrade your system! Or is there some reason you can't? Thunderbird is currently at version 6.01 & OE was replaced by Windows Live Mail. If anything, you should upgrade for the security & bug fixes!

                **Sasafrass452**
                http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                On 09/02/2011 02:41 PM, Karin Corbeil wrote:

                It's on my desktop.

                I use either Thunderbird 3.1 or Outlook Express 6.
                Operating system Windows XP.

                Karin

                > Is this for mobile or desktop access. If the latter, which program
                are you using. There is a known issue with zimbra desktop that won't be
                resolved till mid September.

                > Karin Corbeil <kvictoria@...> wrote:
                >

                > I've been experimenting using IMAP to download messages from my Yahoo
                > Mail Plus account. It works great in receiving messages and deleting
                > from the server...but it will not send.
                >
                > My settings are:
                > Incoming - imap.mail.yahoo.com - Port 993 SSL is checked
                > Outgoing - smtp.mail.yahoo.com - Port 465 SSL is checked
                > Logon using Secure Password Authentication is not checked.
                >
                > Suggestions?
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Karin Corbeil

              • Karin Corbeil
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
                  Thanks, Dennis....it worked.

                  Karin Corbeil

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Patriarca" <dennpat@...> wrote:

                  > I have IMAP set up in Outlook Express on my desktop for a free Y-Mail
                  account with
                  > the @... domain. I agree that it works great.
                  >
                  > I initially had problems in sending as well. What I did was under the
                  Servers tab, I
                  > checked the "My server requires authentication" box. I don't use
                  Thunderbird, but it
                  > must have a similar setting somewhere
                  >
                  > All my other incoming and outgoing servers are configured the same as
                  you originally
                  > wrote below. Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Dennis
                • Karin Corbeil
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
                    I wondered the same thing.

                    I have two yahoo accounts....one "Mail Plus" (premium) and one just
                    regular.

                    I was easily able to download the Mail Plus account via POP3 and by
                    doing so it totally deleted the emails from the yahoo server.

                    But now, ever since the New Yahoo Mail was put in place, it just deletes
                    them from the Inbox and places them in Trash. So every now and then I
                    had to go into the Yahoo account via the web and empty the Trash.

                    I was trying to figure out a way to avoid doing this and that is when I
                    started experimenting with IMAP. It's especially helpful in getting rid
                    of the junk mail. And it's nice to have access to both accounts on one
                    email client without having to login and logout and login again.

                    But will Yahoo eventually prevent this and block non-premium users from
                    downloading via IMAP?

                    I also wonder if using IMAP for a desktop (or laptop) and not a mobile
                    device might be construed as going against their terms of service????