Re: Yahoo Beta with IE7

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
      Yes, please enable the functionality so that when Yahoo! Mail Beta
      checks your browser version/info it will now accept IE7.

      Thank You.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Pacheco"
      <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:

      > Now that IE7 is a public beta, are you guys at Yahoo going to make the
      > YMail Beta usable within EI7? I tried doing the registry fix that was
      > posted in this group earlier and it made no difference, still can't
      > access YMail. I'm using Flock to access mail and IE for everything
      > else. If anyone knows on a workaroung for IE7, i'd appreciate the
      > help.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Nelson

    • Chris Price
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
        I can only suggest that you did something wrong with the Registry changes - see this picture to see Y! Mail Beta in IE7 Beta2:

        http://static.flickr.com/17/94054941_fe737c3234_o.jpg

        I've attached the actual .reg file that will set IE to tell pages to pretend to be IE6, and below is the contents of the file incase the attachment is blocked. All you do is merge these entries into your Registry.

        **** Put into new text file with .reg extension ****

        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
        "Version"="MSIE 6.0"
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
        "SV1"=""
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector]
        "IE"="6.0000"
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
        "Version"="MSIE 6.0"
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
        "SV1"=""
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector]
        "IE"="6.0000"

        **** Copy between these lines ****

        Be warned - it's looking like this IE doesn't render the Compose properly - my deletes and pastes are showing up a little strange.

        Chris.

        <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:

        > Now that IE7 is a public beta, are you guys at Yahoo going to make the
        > YMail Beta usable within EI7? I tried doing the registry fix that was
        > posted in this group earlier and it made no difference, still can't
        > access YMail. I'm using Flock to access mail and IE for everything
        > else. If anyone knows on a workaroung for IE7, i'd appreciate the
        > help.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Nelson

        Expert advice Expert Advice
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

      • S. E. Flemming
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
          Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid. How do you merge
          the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg" and with the
          lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is open the file.
          I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong time since I
          did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.

          For God and Country,
          Sarah Flemming
          Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny

          "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." --
          Proverbs 16:3
[...]

        • Nelson Pacheco
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
            Chris,

            I double-checked and those values are not in the registry. So you
            are right, but I know it said succesful last time I did it.

            So here's my problem now. I get the following error message:

            Cannot import C:/././ie.reg: The specified file is not a registry
            script. You can only import binary registry files from within the
            registry editor.

            This group does not allow attachments, so I copied the text between
            the lines.
            Saved as ie.reg onto my desktop
            SAVE AS TYPE: all files
            ENCODING: ANSI

            Right-click ---- merge.

            Is the encoding the problem, should it be one of the other choices?
            What am I doing wrong.

            thanks,
            Nelson

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
            wrote:

            > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid. How do
            you merge
            > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg" and
            with the
            > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is open
            the file.
            > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
            time since I
            > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
            >

            > For God and Country,
            > Sarah Flemming
            > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
            >
            > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be
            established." --
            > Proverbs 16:3

          • chris.price
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
              I just posted about this in my new (un)official capacity here:

              http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/02/01/using-ie7-and-y-mail-beta/

              It's easier to grab a per-built .reg file from here:

              http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx

              Use the last one at the bottom of the page.

              Chris.

              <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:

              > Chris,
              >
              > I double-checked and those values are not in the registry. So you
              > are right, but I know it said succesful last time I did it.
              >
              > So here's my problem now. I get the following error message:
              >
              > Cannot import C:/././ie.reg: The specified file is not a registry
              > script. You can only import binary registry files from within the
              > registry editor.
              >
              > This group does not allow attachments, so I copied the text between
              > the lines.
              > Saved as ie.reg onto my desktop
              > SAVE AS TYPE: all files
              > ENCODING: ANSI
              >
              > Right-click ---- merge.
              >
              > Is the encoding the problem, should it be one of the other choices?
              > What am I doing wrong.
              >
              > thanks,
              > Nelson
              >

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid. How do
              > you merge
              > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg" and
              > with the
              > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is open
              > the file.
              > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
              > time since I
              > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
              > >

              > > For God and Country,
              > > Sarah Flemming
              > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
              > >
              > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be
              > established." --
              > > Proverbs 16:3

            • Trish
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
                Chris,

                That linked, worked perfectly. I just recenly (minutes, really) installed IE7, and ran the script, now my Y! Beta mail and IE7 work perfectly hand in hand! Thanks!

                -Trish.

                <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:

                > Chris,
                >
                > I double-checked and those values are not in the registry. So you
                > are right, but I know it said succesful last time I did it.
                >
                > So here's my problem now. I get the following error message:
                >
                > Cannot import C:/././ie.reg: The specified file is not a registry
                > script. You can only import binary registry files from within the
                > registry editor.
                >
                > This group does not allow attachments, so I copied the text between
                > the lines.
                > Saved as ie.reg onto my desktop
                > SAVE AS TYPE: all files
                > ENCODING: ANSI
                >
                > Right-click ---- merge.
                >
                > Is the encoding the problem, should it be one of the other choices?
                > What am I doing wrong.
                >
                > thanks,
                > Nelson
                >

                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid. How do
                > you merge
                > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg" and
                > with the
                > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is open
                > the file.
                > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
                > time since I
                > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
                > >

                > > For God and Country,
                > > Sarah Flemming
                > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
                > >
                > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be
                > established." --
                > > Proverbs 16:3

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • S. E. Flemming
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Gee, this was sent two or three days ago. Discovered that there were dup
                  lines and my reg was in slightly different than Chris'. Hand editing the
                  keys did the trick.

                  Thanks for the lead, Chris.

                  Sarah

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Thanks Chris for the great info on merging Yahoo Beta with IE7. I
                    am computer illiterate however I did figure out how to merge the old
                    IE6 into the registry editor. Now I have this great IE7 interface
                    along with the Yahoo Beta Email which I think is also great...just
                    has a
                    few kinks here and there. P.S. for those of you (like Me) who
                    didn't quite get what to do...open up the below .reg file and save
                    it to your desktop. then go to RUN and type REGEDIT to open up your
                    registry editor. Click on Files and Import and chose the file you
                    previously saved...and tada! BetaEmail works!
                    Thanks again
                    Janet

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "chris.price" <pricecs@...> wrote:

                    > I just posted about this in my new (un)official capacity here:
                    >
                    > http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/02/01/using-ie7-and-y-mail-beta/
                    >
                    > It's easier to grab a per-built .reg file from here:
                    >
                    > http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx
                    >
                    > Use the last one at the bottom of the page.
                    >
                    > Chris.
                    >
                    > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Pacheco"
                    > <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Chris,
                    > >
                    > > I double-checked and those values are not in the registry. So
                    you
                    > > are right, but I know it said succesful last time I did it.
                    > >
                    > > So here's my problem now. I get the following error message:
                    > >
                    > > Cannot import C:/././ie.reg: The specified file is not a
                    registry
                    > > script. You can only import binary registry files from within
                    the
                    > > registry editor.
                    > >
                    > > This group does not allow attachments, so I copied the text
                    between
                    > > the lines.
                    > > Saved as ie.reg onto my desktop
                    > > SAVE AS TYPE: all files
                    > > ENCODING: ANSI
                    > >
                    > > Right-click ---- merge.
                    > >
                    > > Is the encoding the problem, should it be one of the other
                    choices?
                    > > What am I doing wrong.
                    > >
                    > > thanks,
                    > > Nelson
                    > >

                    > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid.
                    How do
                    > > you merge
                    > > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg"
                    and
                    > > with the
                    > > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is
                    open
                    > > the file.
                    > > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
                    > > time since I
                    > > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
                    > > >

                    > > > For God and Country,
                    > > > Sarah Flemming
                    > > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
                    > > >
                    > > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be
                    > > established." --
                    > > > Proverbs 16:3

                  • Chris Price
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Well - I wouldn't say IE7 is great :)

                      Firefox is way better - and not in beta...

                      Chris.

> [...]

                      > > Nelson
                      > >

                      > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid.
                      How do
                      > > you merge
                      > > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg"
                      and
                      > > with the
                      > > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is
                      open
                      > > the file.
                      > > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
                      > > time since I
                      > > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
                      > > >

                      > > > For God and Country,
                      > > > Sarah Flemming
                      > > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
                      > > >
                      > > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be

                    • R . S a h a y
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 4, 2006
                        Thanks Chris
                        Your answer did it for me.
                        IE7 and Yahoo mail beta is wonderful.
                        I am a plus subscriber in India with .com email address.
                        rrs