Yahoo Beta with IE7

  • Nelson Pacheco
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
      Now that IE7 is a public beta, are you guys at Yahoo going to make the
      YMail Beta usable within EI7? I tried doing the registry fix that was
      posted in this group earlier and it made no difference, still can't
      access YMail. I'm using Flock to access mail and IE for everything
      else. If anyone knows on a workaroung for IE7, i'd appreciate the
      help.

      Thanks
      Nelson
    • Ian
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
        Yes, please enable the functionality so that when Yahoo! Mail Beta
        checks your browser version/info it will now accept IE7.

        Thank You.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Pacheco"
        <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:

        > Now that IE7 is a public beta, are you guys at Yahoo going to make the
        > YMail Beta usable within EI7? I tried doing the registry fix that was
        > posted in this group earlier and it made no difference, still can't
        > access YMail. I'm using Flock to access mail and IE for everything
        > else. If anyone knows on a workaroung for IE7, i'd appreciate the
        > help.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Nelson

      • Chris Price
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
          I can only suggest that you did something wrong with the Registry changes - see this picture to see Y! Mail Beta in IE7 Beta2:

          http://static.flickr.com/17/94054941_fe737c3234_o.jpg

          I've attached the actual .reg file that will set IE to tell pages to pretend to be IE6, and below is the contents of the file incase the attachment is blocked. All you do is merge these entries into your Registry.

          **** Put into new text file with .reg extension ****

          Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
          "Version"="MSIE 6.0"
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
          "SV1"=""
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector]
          "IE"="6.0000"
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
          "Version"="MSIE 6.0"
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
          "SV1"=""
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector]
          "IE"="6.0000"

          **** Copy between these lines ****

          Be warned - it's looking like this IE doesn't render the Compose properly - my deletes and pastes are showing up a little strange.

          Chris.

          <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:

          > Now that IE7 is a public beta, are you guys at Yahoo going to make the
          > YMail Beta usable within EI7? I tried doing the registry fix that was
          > posted in this group earlier and it made no difference, still can't
          > access YMail. I'm using Flock to access mail and IE for everything
          > else. If anyone knows on a workaroung for IE7, i'd appreciate the
          > help.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Nelson

          Expert advice Expert Advice
          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

        • S. E. Flemming
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
            Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid. How do you merge
            the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg" and with the
            lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is open the file.
            I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong time since I
            did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.

            For God and Country,
            Sarah Flemming
            Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny

            "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." --
            Proverbs 16:3

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
              Chris,

              I double-checked and those values are not in the registry. So you
              are right, but I know it said succesful last time I did it.

              So here's my problem now. I get the following error message:

              Cannot import C:/././ie.reg: The specified file is not a registry
              script. You can only import binary registry files from within the
              registry editor.

              This group does not allow attachments, so I copied the text between
              the lines.
              Saved as ie.reg onto my desktop
              SAVE AS TYPE: all files
              ENCODING: ANSI

              Right-click ---- merge.

              Is the encoding the problem, should it be one of the other choices?
              What am I doing wrong.

              thanks,
              Nelson

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
              wrote:

              > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid. How do
              you merge
              > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg" and
              with the
              > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is open
              the file.
              > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
              time since I
              > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
              >

              > For God and Country,
              > Sarah Flemming
              > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
              >
              > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be
              established." --
              > Proverbs 16:3

            • chris.price
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
                I just posted about this in my new (un)official capacity here:

                http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/02/01/using-ie7-and-y-mail-beta/

                It's easier to grab a per-built .reg file from here:

                http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx

                Use the last one at the bottom of the page.

                Chris.

                <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:

                > Chris,
                >
                > I double-checked and those values are not in the registry. So you
                > are right, but I know it said succesful last time I did it.
                >
                > So here's my problem now. I get the following error message:
                >
                > Cannot import C:/././ie.reg: The specified file is not a registry
                > script. You can only import binary registry files from within the
                > registry editor.
                >
                > This group does not allow attachments, so I copied the text between
                > the lines.
                > Saved as ie.reg onto my desktop
                > SAVE AS TYPE: all files
                > ENCODING: ANSI
                >
                > Right-click ---- merge.
                >
                > Is the encoding the problem, should it be one of the other choices?
                > What am I doing wrong.
                >
                > thanks,
                > Nelson
                >

                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid. How do
                > you merge
                > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg" and
                > with the
                > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is open
                > the file.
                > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
                > time since I
                > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
                > >

                > > For God and Country,
                > > Sarah Flemming
                > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
                > >
                > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be
                > established." --
                > > Proverbs 16:3

              • Trish
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Chris,

                  That linked, worked perfectly. I just recenly (minutes, really) installed IE7, and ran the script, now my Y! Beta mail and IE7 work perfectly hand in hand! Thanks!

                  -Trish.

                  <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:

                  > Chris,
                  >
                  > I double-checked and those values are not in the registry. So you
                  > are right, but I know it said succesful last time I did it.
                  >
                  > So here's my problem now. I get the following error message:
                  >
                  > Cannot import C:/././ie.reg: The specified file is not a registry
                  > script. You can only import binary registry files from within the
                  > registry editor.
                  >
                  > This group does not allow attachments, so I copied the text between
                  > the lines.
                  > Saved as ie.reg onto my desktop
                  > SAVE AS TYPE: all files
                  > ENCODING: ANSI
                  >
                  > Right-click ---- merge.
                  >
                  > Is the encoding the problem, should it be one of the other choices?
                  > What am I doing wrong.
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  > Nelson
                  >

                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid. How do
                  > you merge
                  > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg" and
                  > with the
                  > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is open
                  > the file.
                  > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
                  > time since I
                  > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
                  > >

                  > > For God and Country,
                  > > Sarah Flemming
                  > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
                  > >
                  > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be
                  > established." --
                  > > Proverbs 16:3

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • S. E. Flemming
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Gee, this was sent two or three days ago. Discovered that there were dup
                    lines and my reg was in slightly different than Chris'. Hand editing the
                    keys did the trick.

                    Thanks for the lead, Chris.

                    Sarah

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Thanks Chris for the great info on merging Yahoo Beta with IE7. I
                      am computer illiterate however I did figure out how to merge the old
                      IE6 into the registry editor. Now I have this great IE7 interface
                      along with the Yahoo Beta Email which I think is also great...just
                      has a
                      few kinks here and there. P.S. for those of you (like Me) who
                      didn't quite get what to do...open up the below .reg file and save
                      it to your desktop. then go to RUN and type REGEDIT to open up your
                      registry editor. Click on Files and Import and chose the file you
                      previously saved...and tada! BetaEmail works!
                      Thanks again
                      Janet

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "chris.price" <pricecs@...> wrote:

                      > I just posted about this in my new (un)official capacity here:
                      >
                      > http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/02/01/using-ie7-and-y-mail-beta/
                      >
                      > It's easier to grab a per-built .reg file from here:
                      >
                      > http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx
                      >
                      > Use the last one at the bottom of the page.
                      >
                      > Chris.
                      >
                      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson Pacheco"
                      > <redsox_2004champs@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Chris,
                      > >
                      > > I double-checked and those values are not in the registry. So
                      you
                      > > are right, but I know it said succesful last time I did it.
                      > >
                      > > So here's my problem now. I get the following error message:
                      > >
                      > > Cannot import C:/././ie.reg: The specified file is not a
                      registry
                      > > script. You can only import binary registry files from within
                      the
                      > > registry editor.
                      > >
                      > > This group does not allow attachments, so I copied the text
                      between
                      > > the lines.
                      > > Saved as ie.reg onto my desktop
                      > > SAVE AS TYPE: all files
                      > > ENCODING: ANSI
                      > >
                      > > Right-click ---- merge.
                      > >
                      > > Is the encoding the problem, should it be one of the other
                      choices?
                      > > What am I doing wrong.
                      > >
                      > > thanks,
                      > > Nelson
                      > >

                      > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid.
                      How do
                      > > you merge
                      > > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg"
                      and
                      > > with the
                      > > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is
                      open
                      > > the file.
                      > > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
                      > > time since I
                      > > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
                      > > >

                      > > > For God and Country,
                      > > > Sarah Flemming
                      > > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
                      > > >
                      > > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be
                      > > established." --
                      > > > Proverbs 16:3

                    • Chris Price
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Well - I wouldn't say IE7 is great :)

                        Firefox is way better - and not in beta...

                        Chris.

> [...]

                        > > Nelson
                        > >

                        > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. E. Flemming" <foolsarah@y...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks, Chris, for the reg edit, but take pity on this kid.
                        How do
                        > > you merge
                        > > > the text file? I tried with just a copy and paste to "ie7.reg"
                        and
                        > > with the
                        > > > lines not wrapped. Right Click pick Merge and all it does is
                        open
                        > > the file.
                        > > > I know I didn't do something correctly but it's been a Loooong
                        > > time since I
                        > > > did this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
                        > > >

                        > > > For God and Country,
                        > > > Sarah Flemming
                        > > > Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/knittin_granny
                        > > >
                        > > > "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be

                      • R . S a h a y
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 4, 2006
                          Thanks Chris
                          Your answer did it for me.
                          IE7 and Yahoo mail beta is wonderful.
                          I am a plus subscriber in India with .com email address.
                          rrs