Re: [Y-Mail] complaining

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011

      A reason not use a spell checker, is if you are not a native born
      English speaker, a spell checker can lead you astray. You can spell a
      word correctly but use the wrong word!

       Henrique Junior:
      We must, however, agree that does not hurt to use a spellchecker.
    • Henrique Junior
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
        I'm from Brazil, here we speak portuguese. I understand that the spellchecker can not fix grammar problems, but it is good to help with typos. Using the spellchecker we, non native english speakers, are able to write a text with just a bad english instead of a text with a bad english and a lot of typos. :-D

        --
        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011

          as a co-owner on many groups, we have occasionally had people pick on these things..
          we have huge volumes on our lists and could spend all day editing, but then what would happen to spontaneous discussion ?
          we always say that as long as the message comes across, everything is perfect.
          no sweating the small stuff.
          adds
          ( i suck at typing, use 2 fingers...and hate periods, too final <G>)

          Bastet
          Crows

          (unknown author).

          From: Sasafrass452 <Sasafrass452@...>
          Sender: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 10:48:04 -0400
          To: <Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com

          As a mod here, I must step in.... No flame wars, please. This group is for discussing Yahoo Mail, not picking on someone's spelling or grammer. Thankyou.
          **Sasafrass452**
          http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
          http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

          On 08/06/2011 06:59 AM, Silk wrote:

          wordsmith.." No Silk, I don't hear you complaining, but I can't read most of it due to your spelling and running words together. If you are going to have an opinion, you have to be understandable. Yes, I am an English teacher and bad writing gets a very low grade.

          Silk;
          (this may come as a shock to you but who cares about a grade here on an email list)
          Well I'm not a native english speaker but I say my posts are comprehensible.. could
          it be that you object to me for other reasons and are using grammar to nit pick.. many do throw up smokes screens on the internet. I am not in a spelling bee here nor am i endeavoring to win a pulitzer prize.

          I read and write fluently eleven languages but this is a simple email list.. I recieve upwards of 200 emails per day.. I cannot afford the luxury of dotting ever i and crossing every t...
          I type these emails out rather rapidly. I cannot concern myself with such petty trivialities
          as dangling participles or superlative adjectives.. and last but not least there is the delete button.

          I do not mean to be harsh.. but I say even with "mispeling" my posts are "undertandble"
          but they may well give inspiration to a solution in search of a problem.. Touche'.. chao/Silk

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 7, 2011
            Hi enrique.. i spent a lot of time in brazil.. speak it good..
            Ever try down load translator.. or a similar program?
            You can put the cursor on a word and up pops a littkle screen
            saying did you mean...? Type In "consequentel" and click it you get..

            So it's helpful and your vocabulary will improve and it is instant...
            I'm not a native english speaker..i live in Amsterdam.

                                           chao/Silk