Re: [Y-Mail] Mail Beta and Toolbar Requirement?

  • Regis Foinet
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
      i have Firefox with no toolbar and i can access beta

      --
      Régis

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
        I was running IE at the time and it told me I need to upgrade my toolbar before I could get on the Beta. It actually said "Egads"...lol!

        I do not have the toolbar installed on this computer but I can still access the new beta version.

        So far the only bugs I have are with the Address Book. I am not able to add addresses in the "To" bar because the address book is not loading. Also, the editing tools do not appear everytime I write a message.

        Olivier Laurent
        European Reporter
        Dealing With Technology, London
        E-mail: olivierclaurent@...
        Phone: +44 (0)78 86 86 78 72
        Yahoo! Messenger: olivierclaurent
        Resume and Portfolio: http://1013.free.fr/olivier/

        I'm unable to access the beta from my laptop though I can get it with
        my regular desktop. I've done everything that was suggested (e.g.,
        enabling activeX, etc.) but I suspect that another requirement for
        the beta to work is to have Yahoo! Toolbar installed.

        Is that the case?

        Are there any Mail Beta users who can access beta fine but DON'T have
        Yahoo! Toolbar?

        I suspect it's a requirement because when I went to my desktop to
        access beta, I got a message that warned that my version of toolbar
        was out of date and that I needed the most recent version to support
        Mail Beta. If that's the case then I suppose that no version of
        toolbar is even less supportive of Mail Beta.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

      • Daniel
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
          Yeah I agree. Instead of the feedback square, we could have the
          photo and attachment shortcut search links. What do you think?

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@y...> wrote:
          > My IE gave me that message as well - but the Firefox toolbar
          hasn't required an update yet...

          > I've been sending in Product Suggestions more than bugs so far
          (including ditching the crappy Feedback forms and using a Message
          Board like My Web does)

          > Chris.

          Service.

        • Guillaume
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
            Well there will obviously be something there. I was thinking about a
            graphic ad for basic account but I also read ads would be in the
            preview pane when no message is being read. It might also be feeds
            from yahoo News

          • Daniel
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
              Ooh yes, excellent idea - that's the only thing I miss from the old
              version: the yahoo news feeds.

              plz yahoo, plz incorporate them into the new beta version, pretty
              plz :-))

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>

            • Dave Piper
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                Oddpost had an RSS Aggregator...I wonder if that's in the works...

                http://www.oddpost.com/faq.html#howSubscribe

                wrote:
                > Well there will obviously be something there. I was thinking about
                > graphic ad for basic account but I also read ads would be in the
                > preview pane when no message is being read. It might also be feeds
                > from yahoo News
                >
                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <spanzspam@t...> wrote:
                > > Yeah I agree. Instead of the feedback square, we could have the
                > > photo and attachment shortcut search links. What do you think?
                > >
                > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@y...> wrote:
                > > > My IE gave me that message as well - but the Firefox toolbar
                > > hasn't required an update yet...
                > > >
                > > > I've been sending in Product Suggestions more than bugs so
                far
                > > (including ditching the crappy Feedback forms and using a
                Message
                > > Board like My Web does)
                > > >
                > > > Chris.

                Terms
                > of
                > > Service.

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

              • Chris Price
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                  According to this, we can certainly expect more features:
                  http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/alpha/alpha-26.html

                  Chris.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                    Yippie! But I also think a lot of old features are missing too.
                    Like when you sent an email on the old version, it would give you
                    the option of allocating a folder for the original message. And
                    allow you to allocate a nickname for the address when you added it
                    to your address book. Now it asks for a first and last name, hmm.

                    Also having the disposable addresses ordered alphabetically in the
                    composer's pull-down menu made finding addresses easier (I have a
                    lot of disposable addresses ;-). On this beta version, they're
                    arranged alphabetically, too, but according to the outgoing name.
                    Well, there goes multiple identities ;-)

                    And of course as already mentioned, we're missing Notepad and
                    PhotoMail.

                    Notice how easily I use the past tense to refer to the old version,
                    lol, it's only been old for one day! Anyone wanna write its
                    obituary?

                    Are there any other old features that we're missing on the new
                    version?

                    :-Dan

                  • Joshua Logan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                      Still a little buggy.

                      Sometimes in Firefox, if you type f in the search box, a popup
                      displays itself saying that a message wasn't selected. Any other
                      letter works. It's only happened twice though.

                      It's okay. Definitely better than the old yahoo mail. And I do like
                      the ability to sort email, which is lacking in Gmail. One thing though
                      -- if you have a folder full of emails that aren't flagged, and you
                      click on the flag button, why does it still sort? That might be a bug.
                      And sometimes the sorting functionality just stops working. Like right
                      now, I did a search and tried to sort the results. It worked for a
                      little while, but now the search just doesn't work....I think maybe if
                      there are no attatchments, and you try to sort on attatchments, from
                      now on no other sort works. You have to switch panes and come back to
                      the search results to start searching.

                      Note that if you click on the big Yahoo Mail beta icon, a pop up shows
                      the version and the build #. (version 0.1.0, build 124, 9/12/2005) I
                      wonder if that was unintentionally left in.

                      All in all, a good improvement. But I like Gmail's concept better.
                      It's less "cartoony".

                      Different strokes, I guess.