Re: [Y-Mail] Mail Beta and Toolbar Requirement?

  • Chris Price
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
      My IE gave me that message as well - but the Firefox toolbar hasn't required an update yet...

      I've been sending in Product Suggestions more than bugs so far (including ditching the crappy Feedback forms and using a Message Board like My Web does)

      Chris.

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
        i have Firefox with no toolbar and i can access beta

        --
        Régis

        I'm unable to access the beta from my laptop though I can get it with
        my regular desktop.� � I've done everything that was suggested (e.g.,
        enabling activeX, etc.) but I suspect that another requirement for
        the beta to work is to have Yahoo! Toolbar installed.

        Is that the case?

        Are there any Mail Beta users who can access beta fine but DON'T have
        Yahoo! Toolbar?

        ----- End Original Message ----
      • ~her_suziness~
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
          I was running IE at the time and it told me I need to upgrade my toolbar before I could get on the Beta. It actually said "Egads"...lol!

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
            Yeah I agree. Instead of the feedback square, we could have the
            photo and attachment shortcut search links. What do you think?

            Service.

          • Guillaume
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
              Well there will obviously be something there. I was thinking about a
              graphic ad for basic account but I also read ads would be in the
              preview pane when no message is being read. It might also be feeds
              from yahoo News

            • Daniel
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                Ooh yes, excellent idea - that's the only thing I miss from the old
                version: the yahoo news feeds.

                plz yahoo, plz incorporate them into the new beta version, pretty
                plz :-))

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>

              • Dave Piper
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                  Oddpost had an RSS Aggregator...I wonder if that's in the works...

                  http://www.oddpost.com/faq.html#howSubscribe

                  wrote:
                  > Well there will obviously be something there. I was thinking about
                  > graphic ad for basic account but I also read ads would be in the
                  > preview pane when no message is being read. It might also be feeds
                  > from yahoo News
                  >
                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <spanzspam@t...> wrote:
                  > > Yeah I agree. Instead of the feedback square, we could have the
                  > > photo and attachment shortcut search links. What do you think?
                  > >
                  > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@y...> wrote:
                  > > > My IE gave me that message as well - but the Firefox toolbar
                  > > hasn't required an update yet...
                  > > >
                  > > > I've been sending in Product Suggestions more than bugs so
                  far
                  > > (including ditching the crappy Feedback forms and using a
                  Message
                  > > Board like My Web does)
                  > > >
                  > > > Chris.

                  Terms

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                    According to this, we can certainly expect more features:
                    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/alpha/alpha-26.html

                    Chris.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                      Yippie! But I also think a lot of old features are missing too.
                      Like when you sent an email on the old version, it would give you
                      the option of allocating a folder for the original message. And
                      allow you to allocate a nickname for the address when you added it
                      to your address book. Now it asks for a first and last name, hmm.

                      Also having the disposable addresses ordered alphabetically in the
                      composer's pull-down menu made finding addresses easier (I have a
                      lot of disposable addresses ;-). On this beta version, they're
                      arranged alphabetically, too, but according to the outgoing name.
                      Well, there goes multiple identities ;-)

                      And of course as already mentioned, we're missing Notepad and
                      PhotoMail.

                      Notice how easily I use the past tense to refer to the old version,
                      lol, it's only been old for one day! Anyone wanna write its
                      obituary?

                      Are there any other old features that we're missing on the new
                      version?

                      :-Dan

                    • Joshua Logan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                        Still a little buggy.

                        Sometimes in Firefox, if you type f in the search box, a popup
                        displays itself saying that a message wasn't selected. Any other
                        letter works. It's only happened twice though.

                        It's okay. Definitely better than the old yahoo mail. And I do like
                        the ability to sort email, which is lacking in Gmail. One thing though
                        -- if you have a folder full of emails that aren't flagged, and you
                        click on the flag button, why does it still sort? That might be a bug.
                        And sometimes the sorting functionality just stops working. Like right
                        now, I did a search and tried to sort the results. It worked for a
                        little while, but now the search just doesn't work....I think maybe if
                        there are no attatchments, and you try to sort on attatchments, from
                        now on no other sort works. You have to switch panes and come back to
                        the search results to start searching.

                        Note that if you click on the big Yahoo Mail beta icon, a pop up shows
                        the version and the build #. (version 0.1.0, build 124, 9/12/2005) I
                        wonder if that was unintentionally left in.

                        All in all, a good improvement. But I like Gmail's concept better.
                        It's less "cartoony".

                        Different strokes, I guess.