Re: [Y-Mail] keyboard shortcuts: new loss of function

  • Henrique Junior
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
      It is fixed now.

      --
      Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

      From: Ing. Rafael E. Silva <xijote@...>
      To: "Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com" <Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 4, 2011 3:56 PM
      Subject: Re: [Y-Mail] keyboard shortcuts: new loss of function

      On the bar that begins on the left with compose message, ...  go right and you will find it.

      From: Ing. Rafael E. Silva <xijote@...>
      To: "Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com" <Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, July 4, 2011, 10:14 AM

      When you hit the move key and you are at the top of your folders
      you can see that the top folders are numbered from 1 to 9.   Then
      if you want to file what you are looking at in one of your top folders
      then pressing the number shown was enough.  Now you have to
      select the folder and hit the enter key (Numbers are not working)

      Regards,
      Rafael E. Silva

      From: Ing. Rafael E. Silva <xijote@...>
      To: "Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com" <Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, July 4, 2011, 8:36 AM

      Yes, I have.

      Rafael E. Silva

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
        Sadly, not here yet. Have you had a change in New Mail version number?

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
          Is it possible to switch back to classic.. if so how
        • Henrique Junior
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
            Still in Build number: 1.8.0.2314

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
              Hi there--this was changed in the latest build. To move a message to one of your top folders, type D, then the number. This helps preventing accidental moves (something that's been a longstanding usability problem).

              We've enhanced keyboard navigation in the new Mail and modified a handful of other keyboard shortcuts to improve ease of use--check out the latest by typing ? for the new keyboard shortcuts dialog. Let us know what you think.

              Thanks,
              Lee
              Product Designer, Yahoo! Mail

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
                Unfortunately, it's not possible. The classic interface will be removed soon.

                **Sasafrass452**
                http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
                  Well I just switched back to Classic.. i sent an email to this how I did it.

                  well I just switched and i sent a http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
                    Hi Lee

                    Many thanks for this. Now I see where the shortcut went, it makes perfect sense and I agree this is an enhancement. I like the ? shortcut too - used to be much more cumbersome.

                    There is one issue I've found though: if using Firefox (currently using v 5.0), if you have "search as you type" activated (so that the browser searches for words on a webpage as soon as you type), then the yahoo mail keyboard shortcuts are picked up as screen searches. I don't remember this being a problem in the previous version of Y Mail. Anyway round this aside from disabling this feature of Firefox?

                    Many thanks

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
                      How long ago. Yahoo's own site is saying that they have removed the option.

                      Bruce

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 5, 2011
                        Lee,

                        Speaking of shortcuts, one of the reasons I really like Classic is because I can go through my inbox and right click and open emails in new tab. As those emails open, I continue through my inbox and then start working through those open emails. The new interface is terrible, terrible, terrible. Whereas Classic opens, closes and moves between tabs exactly as I want it to. The new mail? Nothing but grief. It never does what I want it to, and does not seem in the least bit logical to me - - it wastes my time and takes me where I do not want to be.

                        I really want to stay with Yahoo but based on my previous attempt, usability of new mail is like using a hand saw instead of a power miter saw. It gets the job done but with far more effort and with less desirable results.

                        Will new Yahoo mail offer right click/new tab usability or am I going to have to find a new provider?

                        Bruce

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 6, 2011
                          Not sure--will look into this. Thanks G!

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 7, 2011
                            Hi Bruce, thanks for your feedback. The latest Mail is a departure from the Classic model for sure, and it does some things differently, which may mean some re-learning of tasks. But I do believe that after the initial learning curve, you'll find the latest Mail is a real improvement in efficiency from the Classic UI: fewer clicks to accomplish key tasks, for example, and native multitasking support. Classic doesn't support message tabs, so many folks learned to pop their email out into separate browser tabs in order to multitask. Now all this can be done right from the app.

                            It personally drives me nuts having to relearn tools that I've been using for years...unless I know there's a clear benefit in the changes. We've carefully considered every modification and weighed the costs of relearning with the benefits that the new changes would provide. We may not get it right every time--that's where we need your feedback. But we respect your time and very much want to provide a mail service that you'll find efficient, easy to use, and delightful.

                            Thanks again,

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 9, 2011

                              One thing that bothers me about the new Yahoo email is that it apears we can only check for new email from the Inbox, which is quite annoying. I looked at the listing of keyboard shortcuts, and it even shows there that the M shortcut "checks for new email and jumps to Inbox." I often want to check for new emails that will be filtered to specific folders that are further down from the Inbox and it wastes time having to scroll back and forth from the Inbox to the specific folder(s).
                              Is there any other way to check for new mail that doesn't involve having to go to the Inbox, a separate button/shortcut like there used to be? This was a really stupid change, tying it to the Inbox, when so many people use filters to sort email to other folders. There's plenty of room on the "Compose Message" etc. toolbar to add a "Check for Messages" button.
                              Stephanie