I am NOT happy........

  • Chuck Halverson
    Message 1 of 24 , May 5 6:40 PM
      I got this email from Yahoo stating I will be forced to move to the new NEO in a month. I have been a plus user for 9-10 years and I currently use the newer version with the calender bar at the bottom.
      For productivity purposes I NEED the calendar bar.  Also, on NEO there is no scrolling on messages w/o scrolling the entire screen like Yahoo mail classic to delete or move a message.   Is Yahoo nuts in thinking this is an IMPROVEMENT?!?!?

      Good God......  I remember being a Yahoo enthusiast......Giving cheers and constructive comments on the version I am about to lose in 30 days.  What happened............

      Chuck
      St. Paul, MN
    • Kenneth Ayers
      Message 2 of 24 , May 6 12:26 AM
        You can still scroll messages without scrolling the entire screen but you have to select a new option that they've added to the General tab in Mail Options to recover that functionality.  Select the following option:

        Show all messages in a scrolling list (with Preview Pane option)
      • Chuck Halverson
        Message 3 of 24 , May 6 4:24 AM
          Thanks for the heads up on this....much improvement.....I hope there is something happening in the Calendar dept.

          Thanks for letting me rant...

          Chuck
          St. Paul, MN
        • Henrique Junior
          Message 4 of 24 , May 6 5:11 AM
            I have to agree with you, the timeline was the main reason because I keep using Yahoo Mail and I really miss it.

            --
            Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7 3:30 AM
              Agree entirely that essentially all the upgrades for the Beta have been good so far - main missing feature is calendar integration, which at the moment is worse than the previous version (i.e. non-existent). Really hope it is re-instated and improved, in order to move from email programme to genuine communication centre.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7 3:31 AM
                I posted on this previously, but once again my options menu has changed and I can't change to having independently scrolling panes. It seems my options menu is from the "New Yahoo Mail" as there's an option for calendar timeline!

                Anyone else having this problem?

                You can still scroll messages without scrolling the entire screen but you have to select a new option that they've added to the General tab in Mail Options to recover that functionality.  Select the following option:

                Show all messages in a scrolling list (with Preview Pane option)

              • Silk
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7 4:54 AM
                  You want a common sense answer? Stick with yahoo classic!

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7 7:15 AM
                    I'm afraid that's not a very helpful suggestion.

                    One of the main reasons I don't use Classic is specifically because I like having a preview pane. Yahoo Mail beta has an option to look just like classic or to have preview panes. That option has currently gone missing for me but I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. I was just wondering whether anyone else was experiencing this too.

                    You want a common sense answer? Stick with yahoo classic!

                    I posted on this previously, but once again my options menu has changed and I can't change to having independently scrolling panes. It seems my options menu is from the "New Yahoo Mail" as there's an option for calendar timeline!

                    Anyone else having this problem?

                    You can still scroll messages without scrolling the entire screen but you have to select a new option that they've added to the General tab in Mail Options to recover that functionality.  Select the following option:

                    Show all messages in a scrolling list (with Preview Pane option)

                  • Kenny
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7 8:29 AM
                      Did your problem self-correct yet. My options are fine. Perhaps just try clearing your cache and start again?

                      > I'm afraid that's not a very helpful suggestion.
                      >
                      > One of the main reasons I don't use Classic is specifically because I like having a preview pane. Yahoo Mail beta has an option to look just like classic or to have preview panes. That option has currently gone missing for me but I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. I was just wondering whether anyone else was experiencing this too.

                    • Harryh
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7 9:52 AM
                        I got it as well and, like you, am not particularly pleased.  Previous versions replacing Classic have all been bloated with excess garbage.  I only want mail.  I do not want chat or other frills.  I know that after the change I will not be able to use mail on my ancient W98 laptop with it's browser restrictions (maybe).

                        I got this email from Yahoo stating I will be forced to move to the new NEO in a month. I have been a plus user for 9-10 years and I currently use the newer version with the calender bar at the bottom.
                        For productivity purposes I NEED the calendar bar.  Also, on NEO there is no scrolling on messages w/o scrolling the entire screen like Yahoo mail classic to delete or move a message.   Is Yahoo nuts in thinking this is an IMPROVEMENT?!?!?

                        Good God......  I remember being a Yahoo enthusiast......Giving cheers and constructive comments on the version I am about to lose in 30 days.  What happened............

                        Chuck
                        St. Paul, MN

                      • Robert Worthington
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7 12:48 PM
                          if it doesnt work very well then dont bother the  site again then go to other email program where more easier for u.
                          that i would say it the only way if it keep blocking u then do something about it then.

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7 1:16 PM
                            DITTO....

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7 1:25 PM
                              You are not obliged to sign up to beta at present so you may want to give it a try first. It's actually supposed to be lighter on resources and faster. It can also be run in same way as Classic (i.e. no preview panes, whole page scrolling, etc...). Messenger can be turned off, as can any updates (facebook, twitter, etc...) and if apps not being used they don't run, leaving just the email programme.

                              However, you are right that you will need to upgrade browser to at least IE7, FF 3 (and don't know about Chrome)

                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Harryh <harryh89@...> wrote:

                              > I got it as well and, like you, am not particularly pleased.  Previous versions replacing Classic have all been bloated with excess garbage.  I only want mail.  I do not want chat or other frills.  I know that after the change I will not be able to use mail on my ancient W98 laptop with it's browser restrictions (maybe).

                            • Harryh
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7 1:52 PM
                                Apparently you don't quite get it.  I can use a variety of POP3 clients as you suggest, but Yahoo is saying that the classic webmail is being phased out.  The Classic works with virtually all browsers, but the new version (AFIK) doesn't work with the older browsers required for quite obsolete versions of Windows.  The latter may or may not be true.

                                I had complained that previous versions replacing Classic were considerably slower.  I shall try the latest and see.  I use the web interface to screen my mail.  I could care less about any 'features' beyond that functionality which tend to clutter the browser.

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7 9:12 PM
                                  I don't want to offend u but i will appreciate if you encourage
                                  yourself to upgrade to latest browsers and/or OS instead of
                                  complaining or discouraging yahoo to innovate its products. Time is
                                  changiong and noone will wait for us but it is up on us to keep pace
                                  with the time.

                                  On Saturday, May 7, 2011, Harryh <harryh89@...> wrote:

                                  > Apparently you don't quite get it.  I can use a variety of POP3 clients as you suggest, but Yahoo is saying that the classic webmail is being phased out.  The Classic works with virtually all browsers, but the new version (AFIK) doesn't work with the older browsers required for quite obsolete versions of Windows.  The latter may or may not be true.
                                  >
                                  > I had complained that previous versions replacing Classic were considerably slower.  I shall try the latest and see.  I use the web interface to screen my mail.  I could care less about any 'features' beyond that functionality which tend to clutter the browser.

                                • Harryh
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 8 1:22 PM
                                    No offense taken. Of course, the continual upgrade issue will always be upon us and for my main equipment, there is not an issue. Not quite bleeding edge, but adequate. In a few years I may even move to Win7.

                                    Apple has been a staunch believer in obsolescence. Each major advance has taken place making older equipment less and less useful. Microsoft with it's much larger user base hasn't quite been able to do the same which many of us are quite pleased about.

                                    Yahoo is in a slightly different position. I can understand their need to add features that they hope will be so compelling that they might beat their competition. What is missing in this discussion is the stripped down option. I don't know about you, but I actually pay to use Yahoo's service. Now some might consider that stupid, but I also pay for a fastmail account as well, even as I have multiple gmail accounts along with accounts through my ISP. None of the alternates require me to have anything beyond a simple browser. Older browser versions still function, at least for now. They might recommend that I not use a browser like IE6 with it's perpetual security holes. But few care that I visit with Firefox 1.5.0.12. Oh they might tell me I am unprotected and they would prefer I use a better browser, but they still get me my mail.

                                    I haven't tried the new version of Yahoo webmail with FF 1.5, yet. For all I know, it may work. But that's not the information at hand. The competition clearly can accommodate me, why can't Yahoo?

                                    > yourself to upgrade to latest browsers and/or OS instead
                                    > of
                                    > complaining or discouraging yahoo to innovate its products.
                                    > Time is
                                    > changiong and noone will wait for us but it is up on us to
                                    > keep pace
                                    > with the time.
                                    >
                                    > On Saturday, May 7, 2011, Harryh <harryh89@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > >       Apparently you don't
                                    > quite get it.  I can use a variety of POP3 clients as you
                                    > suggest, but Yahoo is saying that the classic webmail is
                                    > being phased out.  The Classic works with virtually all
                                    > browsers, but the new version (AFIK) doesn't work with the
                                    > older browsers required for quite obsolete versions of
                                    > Windows.  The latter may or may not be true.

                                    <snip>
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 8 3:06 PM
                                      Nope, no correction. And also it fails to remember me using the Beta like it used to, so everytime I load Y Mail, it takes me back to "All New Mail". I'm sure the problem is at Yahoo's end as I've changed nothing. Will see what happens. Will report it too.

                                      Did your problem self-correct yet. My options are fine. Perhaps just try clearing your cache and start again?

                                      > I'm afraid that's not a very helpful suggestion.
                                      >
                                      > One of the main reasons I don't use Classic is specifically because I like having a preview pane. Yahoo Mail beta has an option to look just like classic or to have preview panes. That option has currently gone missing for me but I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. I was just wondering whether anyone else was experiencing this too.

                                    • Sasafrass452
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 8 3:07 PM
                                        You're still using FF 1.5? The current version is 4.01. Honestly, why don't you upgrade?

                                        **Sasafrass452**
                                        http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                                        http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                                        wrote:

                                               Apparently you don't

                                        quite get it.  I can use a variety of POP3 clients as you
                                        suggest, but Yahoo is saying that the classic webmail is
                                        being phased out.  The Classic works with virtually all
                                        browsers, but the new version (AFIK) doesn't work with the
                                        older browsers required for quite obsolete versions of
                                        Windows.  The latter may or may not be true.

                                        <snip>

                                            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                      • Harryh
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 8 3:39 PM
                                          Later version won't run on my trusty Thinkpad.  After all it has a whopping 192M of RAM, who would have thought that we would ever need more.  FF2 needs more RAM.  The thinkpad runs latest W98 or linux.  It's around as a backup machine when other fail.  Except for modern software most still works quite well.

                                          It's no longer vulnerable, the malware folk don't bother.  Most junk simply dies trying.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 9 7:15 PM
                                              I don't want to offend u but i will appreciate if you encourage
                                              yourself to upgrade to latest browsers and/or OS instead of
                                              complaining or discouraging yahoo to innovate its products. Time is
                                              changiong and noone will wait for us but it is up on us to keep pace
                                              with the time.

                                              On Saturday, May 7, 2011, Harryh <harryh89@...> wrote:

                                              > Apparently you don't quite get it.  I can use a variety of POP3 clients as you suggest, but Yahoo is saying that the classic webmail is being phased out.  The Classic works with virtually all browsers, but the new version (AFIK) doesn't work with the older browsers required for quite obsolete versions of Windows.  The latter may or may not be true.
                                              >
                                              > I had complained that previous versions replacing Classic were considerably slower.  I shall try the latest and see.  I use the web interface to screen my mail.  I could care less about any 'features' beyond that functionality which tend to clutter the browser.

                                            • Harryh
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 10 1:13 PM
                                                Clueless. The explanation was made earlier. I would never discourage Yahoo to improve their products. It would be lovely if they would consult users regarding those improvements. As they discovered with the Groups overhaul, users have differing needs. They should try to accommodate those needs as best they can without eliminating users. This can be done in a variety of ways given the power of web tools. A simply browser query can determine what browser the user has. Web sites then tailor the presentation to that browser. It's done all the time. As I noted, Comcast, Gmail, Fastmail all allow FF 1.5. Will that browser be able to do tricks like later browsers - no - so what, it can get a web page and get to mail. That is my point. Yahoo can innovate as much as they desire but they do need to consider the needs of users in the process.

                                                No offense. Regards.

                                                > yourself to upgrade to latest browsers and/or OS instead
                                                > of
                                                > complaining or discouraging yahoo to innovate its products.
                                                > Time is
                                                > changiong and noone will wait for us but it is up on us to
                                                > keep pace
                                                > with the time.

                                              • Sumit Mehta
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 10 9:47 PM
                                                  Really sorry for the duplication of earlier e-mail. It was automatically sent by gmail wap site when i logged in to the account. Even I could know about it after it was already sent. Again Sorry for the inconvenience.

                                                  On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Harryh <harryh89@...> wrote:

                                                  Clueless. The explanation was made earlier. I would never discourage Yahoo to improve their products. It would be lovely if they would consult users regarding those improvements. As they discovered with the Groups overhaul, users have differing needs. They should try to accommodate those needs as best they can without eliminating users. This can be done in a variety of ways given the power of web tools. A simply browser query can determine what browser the user has. Web sites then tailor the presentation to that browser. It's done all the time. As I noted, Comcast, Gmail, Fastmail all allow FF 1.5. Will that browser be able to do tricks like later browsers - no - so what, it can get a web page and get to mail. That is my point. Yahoo can innovate as much as they desire but they do need to consider the needs of users in the process.

                                                  No offense. Regards.

                                                  > yourself to upgrade to latest browsers and/or OS instead
                                                  > of
                                                  > complaining or discouraging yahoo to innovate its products.
                                                  > Time is
                                                  > changiong and noone will wait for us but it is up on us to
                                                  > keep pace
                                                  > with the time.

                                                • Harryh
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 11 5:42 AM
                                                    See, too much automation can be a bad thing!  Most interesting.

                                                    Cheers.