Is Neo ready to leave beta?

  • Henrique Junior
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9 10:41 PM
      As we can see in this post [1], Yahoo thinks that Neo is ready to fly.
      In my opinion, this is a little premature since Neo still misses some important (and much requested) functionalities like:
      * Notepad and calendar/timeline integration
      * Bring back the ability to "sort" messages
      * Easy filters with right click

      Any opinions about that?

      --
      Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior
    • GuillaumeB
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10 2:00 AM
        No it's not there are lots of things left to do.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10 4:10 AM
          Agree there are features missing. One more I miss is the ability to click on the sender in an email and it automatically searches all emails from that sender.

          However, I think Yahoo may have looked at people's usage of all these extra features and realised that they are probably only used by a minority of users, so that the majority of people who switch will not notice their absence (the calendar has never actually been properly integrated after all!), and only appreciate the nice interface and increased speed.

          I suspect they're keen to switch people over so that they can focus on developing only 1 rather than 3 platforms. In the end, the support for problems with the older versions will be "please switch to Neo".

          No it's not there are lots of things left to do.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Henrique Junior <henriquecsj@...> wrote:

          > As we can see in this post [1], Yahoo thinks that Neo is ready to fly.
          > In my opinion, this is a little premature since Neo still misses some important (and much requested) functionalities like:
          > * Notepad and calendar/timeline integration
          >
          > * Bring back the ability to "sort" messages
          > * Easy filters with right click
          >
          > Any opinions about that?
          >

          > [1] - http://www.ymailblog.com/blog/2011/04/change-is-in-the-air/
          >
          > --
          > Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

        • Rob Weigle
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10 5:15 PM
            I also agree that there are features missing. The one which pains me the most is the malfunctioning of the version ID. If the NEO cookie is  present, both IE 8 and Firefox 3.16 display the version information incorrectly - the image which includes a cat pushes the OK button off of the visible part of the screen for Firefox 3.16. This is not true with IE 8, that browser shows the OK but the top (everything above the hostname is just not displayed - so you do NOT even know what version you are running!
            >>________________________________

          • Chuck Halverson
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11 6:42 AM
              I cant even believe this is even brought up officially on the Y Mail blog.   I am and have been a plus user for years and there are many features STILL missing on
              Neo.  Calandar and Notepad (Im starting to think they will never integrate these) just to name a couple.  I would like some sort of sign from Yahoo
              that theres more to this than what we are seeing.  I also have never seen a tech company as this one promise things that never come. Calendar integration
              (announced what 3 or so years ago?!?) is becoming the joke......  I am still a Yahoo fan but I am starting to wonder about the people in charge of Mail.

              Here we are on the Yahoo Mail users group, people who care about this product, and unless I missed something, there hasn't been hardly anyone officially from Yahoo
              discussing projects or features upcoming or just keeping us in the know how things are progressing...even if its bad news.....   There are blatantly features missing and they decide maybe its time for mail to leave beta?!?

              Ive been part of this beta group since it started and Y Mail is part of my daily existence. Its interface and features are so much better than Gmail or Hotmail, I just dont understand
              the concept of taking away features on a new version. To be honest,  it seems neo is just a new coat of paint so far....

              Sorry for the crab post...   :)

              Chuck
              St. Paul, MN
            • GuillaumeB
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11 3:25 PM
                hey,

                There are actually people from the Mail team who subscribe and/or read this group and sometimes reply to requests. Granted this is not done on a regular basis but in the end this is not a Yahoo-owned community, just a user group.

                As for Neo.. well. i did expect more. I mean we've reached the point where going all social simply is not the way to go...; and well to be honest, the twitter/ Facebook integration has returned several connection failures... What I believe Yahoo might fail to understand in some way is that A LOT of people actually do care about real features. This is why Gmail keeps growing. There is tons of inspiration to create a truly good product

                I myself would have love to see some voice/video features for Yahoo Mail messenger or some sort of Google Voice competitor
                At least more interesting third party apps
                I guess I was too ambitious
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 11 3:39 PM
                  Sorry, wasn't having a moan about lack of yahoo input into group, it's just good when it comes.

                  Disappointed .. ummm ... perhaps a bit but equally happy - if what we wanted was a snappier email program that works well also has well integrated social features, then yahoo has nearly got there. However, if we were hoping for a game changer that would make people turn heads and come to yahoo from another email program (in the way GMail did when it first arrived), then I'm not sure we have it.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 11 5:27 PM
                    i think that if there are options for all those special features, that's wonderful !

                    BUT, please leave one option for those of us who just want straight up e-mail, no frills.
                    i just need a streamlined, reliable way to conduct my group bizness <G>.

                    adds

                    Bastet
                    Crows

                    -- Beloved Bast, mistress of happiness and bounty, twin of the Sun God, slay the evil that afflicts our minds as you slew the serpent Apep. With your graceful stealth anticipate the moves of all who perpetrate cruelties and stay their hands against the children of light.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 11 6:47 PM
                      My main frustration with Neo is that I can not stop myself from comparing it to the All-New Yahoo Mail. I can do nothing but admit that the All-New is still amazing. I can click in a sender's name and see all the messages from this sender, I can choose to see only my contacts messages, sort this messages in all possible ways, I have that useful timeline that keeps me aware of my next appointments, I have highlighting in my messages links, names and dates; all I have to do is click to have a search, a new calendar entry or a new message. My click with the left button is powerful and the interface is intuitive, simple and clever.
                      Neo have a long way before reaching its predecessor, in my humble opinion. I am not willing to use a product that loses functionality when compared to the previous product.