Re: [Y-Mail] Re: A good reason to stick with yahoo mail (and possibly plus)?

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
      Just to clarify my position on privacy. I appreciate that not all that everything on internet is confidential, etc... but I don't like the thought of my emails being the source of adverts that a machine assumes I'd be interested in seeing. I think for a small fee I'd rather have no distractions at all and make my own decisions on what I want to disturb me while I use email (the updates tab is a very good place for that!)

      Adblock is a nice idea but not able to install browser upgrades at work - still running IE6!

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
        I agree with you and understand your position most definately!

        Sent from my BlackBerry® powered by Virgin Mobile.

        From: "G Pollara" <gpollara@...>
        Sender: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 20:21:55 +0100
        To: Yahoo Mail group<Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com

        Just to clarify my position on privacy. I appreciate that not all that everything on internet is confidential, etc... but I don't like the thought of my emails being the source of adverts that a machine assumes I'd be interested in seeing. I think for a small fee I'd rather have no distractions at all and make my own decisions on what I want to disturb me while I use email (the updates tab is a very good place for that!)

        Adblock is a nice idea but not able to install browser upgrades at work - still running IE6!

        Hum... Well i'd rather have system analysing keywords in my email  and get targeted as than totally irrelevant ones ...

        Not sure how privacy is been challenged here...

        Anyway who doesn't use Adblock..

        > I hadn't appreciated just how much your email in gmail gets scanned for adverts. I really don't want this. Some of my emails are private and I'd rather decide when I want to make a purchase rather than have adverts telling me. Made me think yahoo's better from this point of view and perhaps I may even renew my plus subscription after all in order to have an email system revolving entirely around the content I choose to see and free from adverts.
        >
        > Opinions?
        >
        > http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=20048595&cid=null&bcid=&bid=-93

      • Harryh
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
          IE6 will be supported until '14, but many websites refuse to work with IE6, so the IT staff will be forced into the 21st Century.  There are encryption addins for browsers to improve privacy but no free ones.

          Adblock is a nice idea but not able to install browser upgrades at work - still running IE6!