Re: [Y-Mail] Need app ideas for Yahoo! Mail, let it roll !!!

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
      First of all - hurrah that finally yahoo has seen the potential benefits of their applications platform, and are prepared to advertise it hard - presumably the new beta has made this technically much easier behind the scenes. Also pleased that they are now flagging up the potential commercial prospects with deals, etc...  That should hopefully encourage developers to produce something - with so many potential eyes on yahoo mail, there must be something there.

      Personally, the key is to produce something that integrates into yahoo mail rather than just added on. A standalone app not that more useful than opening a separate tab in your browser. For example - the zumodrive app is great, but no different to opening the zumodrive website. However, if there was a way to save attachments directly onto your virtual drive into the folder you want, now you're talking... As for zumodrive vs dropbox, I don't use the latter as zumodrive works ok for me at present, but a better dropbox integration in the way I mentioned above, would certainly make me switch.

      The other thing I thought would be good would be an office app integration (I know I've mentione this before) - but what about say attachments opening in a separate tab in yahoo mail using zoho office or microsoft web office? (suspect google docs won't let you, and incidentally, zoho is better i think).

      Also a genuine calendar integration with dates being detected in emails and added in calendar coming up in a separate tab, would be good.

      I'll put my thinking cap on and come up with a few more ideas. Really hope this generates something. The potential to make yahoo mail a personal experience is a great one. And the optionality of it (real word?) means that those that don't want any changes to their yahoo mail, would still see the basic interface that just works.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
        I used the Zumodrive app in Mail for a while but then I began having
        problems uploading and gave up on it. Besides there were some things
        about Zumodrive I didn't like. As I recall, it wasn't possible to
        move files already uploaded from one folder to another.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
          Agree - noticed same issue. Zumodrive has been bought by Motorola (likely aim to integrate into their phones), so I suspect that explains why development stopped on that front. Hoping others - dropbox, box.net, for example, will take over.

          I used the Zumodrive app in Mail for a while but then I began having
          problems uploading and gave up on it. Besides there were some things
          about Zumodrive I didn't like. As I recall, it wasn't possible to
          move files already uploaded from one folder to another.

        • Henrique de Castro
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
            It will be fantastic if Flickr (and other apps) could really manipulate attachments, taking pictures from or sending pictures to Flickr. The office idea is great and i love Zoho.
            Basically, I do not like apps that just generate links with no real integration.

            --
            Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
              Agree entirely. Flickr integration could definitely done better. And definitely mail integration is the key.

              Here's another idea - what about maps integration - perhaps even google maps or bing maps, so that an address is picked up and a separate tab / overlay opens with map of that ddress and functionality to generate directions to somewhere. Perhaps Yahoo to get a cut of advertising clicked on the map? Tie - in with Bing maps seems v possible seeing as they're on the same ad platform.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011
                Maps would be great but as I recall, the partnership signed with Nokia would rather suggest that Yahoo! chose OVI Maps as it will be the default engine for Yahoo! Maps in the future

                > Agree entirely. Flickr integration could definitely done better. And definitely
                > mail integration is the key.
                >

                > Here's another idea - what about maps integration - perhaps even google maps or
                > bing maps, so that an address is picked up and a separate tab / overlay opens
                > with map of that ddress and functionality to generate directions to somewhere.
                > Perhaps Yahoo to get a cut of advertising clicked on the map? Tie - in with Bing
                > maps seems v possible seeing as they're on the same ad platform.

              • shazen27
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011
                  Building off of the maps idea, not only pick up addresses from e-mails and map them to generate driving directions, but let us e-mail those maps and directions to others (like if you're having a party you could mail out directions from several major highways or something).

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011
                    I think another great idea for an app would be an integrated RSS reader. I think it could fit in one of two places.
                    1) it could be a dedicated application in the gallery or
                    2) it could be embedded in the "Updates" tab.

                    Either way, if it should provide us with the ability to subscribe to different RSS (news/blog feeds) and deliver them in either a sorted view or a mashup view (much like the original all new yahoo mail had "RSS Feeds"). It could also have the ability to drag the separate news stories to our mail folders for keeping, or let us forward them to friends via e-mail. Or with the new twitter and facebook integration we could be given a button to share the news/blog stories on our social network sites with our friends. I've been asking for this feature for a long time and was really sad when they took it away!!

                    I really hope this app becomes a reality!!