Re: Mail Beta Font Problem

  • shuntcrowley
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2011
      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny" <justkenneth@...> wrote:

      > I've been noticing for a while that when I compose an email in Mail Beta and send it, the first paragraph appears much smaller than the rest of the email when viewed in the sent folder or in the recipient's email account.
      >
      > My default font and size for composing emails is Verdana 10. And while I'm typing the email, everything looks like Verdana 10. But now I've confirmed via my work email account, which uses Outlook, that my first paragraph composed in Mail Beta is being changed to Times New Roman 10 which is much smaller than Verdana 10.
      >
      > Has anyone else noticed this? Does Yahoo! know about this problem already?

      I have NO idea if they realise what a widespread problem this is - it came to light when I asked a list member of a group I moderate to use a larger font as it was coming through in something that looked like 6pt type! She switched to 14pt at another member's request but this was HUGE on her screen. I suggested 12 pt - and that looked nothing like 12, and not only that but the font size changed after 3 or 4 words! I checked my own Yahoo Mail beta account and had the same issues.

      I know what font sizes are supposed to look like as a writer that has worked in advertising and publishing, and also that different fonts can appear as a different size on computers but IMO this is a major bug!

      Stephanie HC
    • dean_bailes
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
        The problem is because of a syntax error in the HTML of the email that Yahoo Mail beta generates.

        The very first <DIV> tag in the generated email has the following:

        On this the separator between #fff and font-family: should be a semi-colon (;) not a comma. Because of this error Outlook and other email programs cannot read the font name that has been specified so they just use their default font which is usually Times New Roman. I've tried contacting Yahoo about this but can't seem to get this through to the right person.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2011

          Looks like they might have fixed it :)

        • Kenneth Ayers
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2011
            Finally!  Dean, I forwarded to Yahoo! the solution you came up with.  They said they would pass it on to the engineers.  It may be that they're using the fix you proposed.  Can you check?