Yahoo mail beta upgrade incl Facebook chat integration

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2011
      Hi all

      Thought I'd share / get feedback on a couple of new features on the mail beta. I've been upgraded to version 1.3 (click on Yahoo mail logo on top left holding down tab to find out yours).

      The only two things I've noticed are:
      • integration of Facebook chat (see below)
      • change in flagging email logo - this is now done with a yellow star as opposed to the red flag
      The Facebook chat thing is great (though not all may be interested in this, I know). It's simple but just works - your Facebook contacts who are signed into Facebook chat just pop up, and off you go, IM away. I had initially enabled this feature by installing yahoo messenger 11 beta and allowing facebok chat to integrate with yahoo. However, this feature works even when yahoo messenger isn't running in the background - it's all contained inside yahoo mail beta.

      Interested to know anyone else's opinions / experience of this. I'm very impressed. Any other upgrades noticed?
    • shazen27
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2011
        I have version 1.3 as well, but I'm not seeing my facebook chat contacts. Can you explain where you're seeing it/how you get to it?

        > Hi all
        >
        > Thought I'd share / get feedback on a couple of new features on the mail beta. I've been upgraded to version 1.3 (click on Yahoo mail logo on top left holding down tab to find out yours).
        >
        > The only two things I've noticed are:
        > * integration of Facebook chat (see below)
        >
        > * change in flagging email logo - this is now done with a yellow star as opposed to the red flagThe Facebook chat thing is great (though not all may be interested in this, I know). It's simple but just works - your Facebook contacts who are signed into Facebook chat just pop up, and off you go, IM away. I had initially enabled this feature by installing yahoo messenger 11 beta and allowing facebok chat to integrate with yahoo. However, this feature works even when yahoo messenger isn't running in the background - it's all contained inside yahoo mail beta.
        >
        > Interested to know anyone else's opinions / experience of this. I'm very impressed. Any other upgrades noticed?

      • robs_alias
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2011
          I also have the upgrade you talked about. However, the click and <tab> that you said will display the version number doesn't work for me. Is there a way to do it otherwise?

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2011
            i'm afraid i don't know - Wherever the Yahoo mail logo is (usually top left but top right if you're using the fantastic greasemonkey scripts supplied by sy1bzbn, it'll be top right).

            If you hold down Alt, and then click on it, a box should come up with the version number and a photo of a slightly creepy looking white cat...

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2011
              I'll tell you what I did, but I'm not sure if it's the only way

              1. install yahoo messenger 11 beta (the one that allows facebook chat as well)
              2. Run messenger 11 beta and attempt to sign up to facebook chat
              3. Authorise facebook chat to link with my yahoo account (a pop up window will inform you of this)
              4. You will now notice that you are signed into facebook chat within yahoo messenger. You can stop here if you like
              5. Close yahoo messenger
              6. Log into mail
              7. log into messenger within mail and on the left you'll have 2 separate drop down menus a) "online contacts" and below it " Facebook Friends"
              And that's it. Hope it works for you. It may not be a brand new feature, but a really neat extension towards making yahoo mail central to all communications.

              Oh and if you want to sign out of facebook chat but stay logged into Yahoo messenger, there's a button to let you do that - i.e. the facebook integration is not obligatory (which i guess was also part of the thinking behind facebook and twitter feeds moving to a separate "Update" tab)

              I have version 1.3 as well, but I'm not seeing my facebook chat contacts. Can you explain where you're seeing it/how you get to it?

              > Hi all
              >
              > Thought I'd share / get feedback on a couple of new features on the mail beta. I've been upgraded to version 1.3 (click on Yahoo mail logo on top left holding down tab to find out yours).
              >
              > The only two things I've noticed are:
              > * integration of Facebook chat (see below)
              >
              > * change in flagging email logo - this is now done with a yellow star as opposed to the red flagThe Facebook chat thing is great (though not all may be interested in this, I know). It's simple but just works - your Facebook contacts who are signed into Facebook chat just pop up, and off you go, IM away. I had initially enabled this feature by installing yahoo messenger 11 beta and allowing facebok chat to integrate with yahoo. However, this feature works even when yahoo messenger isn't running in the background - it's all contained inside yahoo mail beta.
              >
              > Interested to know anyone else's opinions / experience of this. I'm very impressed. Any other upgrades noticed?

            • Silk
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2011
                As i see it the beta is like outlookexpress but the actual screen is too small.. I prefer classic.. but thats me.. i don't need the next new thing especially if it is inferior to the present classic...........

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2011
                  I guess the good thing for you then is that yahoo for now seem to be running both services in parallel, so that you can use classic. I suspect, but this is only a personal opinion, that yahoo will try to pour resources into the beta in order to eventually make everyone switch to it.

                  Out of interest, if you switch off the preview pane on the beta (pressing letter v), does it differ that much from classic, aside from a few aesthetic changes?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2011
                    Thank you. That worked. I am running version 1.3

                    > i'm afraid i don't know - Wherever the Yahoo mail logo is (usually top left but top right if you're using the fantastic greasemonkey scripts supplied by sy1bzbn, it'll be top right).
                    >
                    > If you hold down Alt, and then click on it, a box should come up with the version number and a photo of a slightly creepy looking white cat...
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                    <snip>
                  • Henrique de Castro
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2011
                      I'm not running v1.3 yet, but the Facebook Chat integration is available to me. That means that this is not a new Y!Mail's feature, but Messenger's, so, if the only new features in 1.3 are those two (Facebook chat and stars as flags) we have evolved amost nothing (in 54 days.).

                      --
                      Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 3, 2011
                        ah very interesting. When I was on 1.2.0 I couldn't get it to work.
                        Yahoo should advertise this feature more though, I reckon - it may be a crowd puller. Noticed Microsoft offering something similar recently, and saw quite a few articles written about it.

                        Could there be any other upgrades in this version? Perhaps other bits of speed, etc...

                        Agree though that in itself it's not a massive upgrade, hence why no blog update. Guessing something significant will come soon - though you're right that faster upgrades were promised.

                        I'm not running v1.3 yet, but the Facebook Chat integration is available to me. That means that this is not a new Y!Mail's feature, but Messenger's, so, if the only new features in 1.3 are those two (Facebook chat and stars as flags) we have evolved amost nothing (in 54 days.).

                        --
                        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

                        Thank you. That worked. I am running version 1.3

                        > i'm afraid i don't know - Wherever the Yahoo mail logo is (usually top left but top right if you're using the fantastic greasemonkey scripts supplied by sy1bzbn, it'll be top right).
                        >
                        > If you hold down Alt, and then click on it, a box should come up with the version number and a photo of a slightly creepy looking white cat...

                      • Jen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 4, 2011
                          i agree with you 100% i prefer yahoo mail classic too :)ive used it for the past 10 yrs almost 11