How to Import contacts from Yahoo to Ymail

  • Lic Pawan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 9, 2011
      Dear Sir.
        Good Evening..
         I have yahoo mail id now i wants to import  all contacts from yahoo mail id  to ymail ..  so please help me...

      Thanks & Best Regards,
      LIC PAWAN

      LIC PAWAN
      Professional Advisor For LIC Of India
      & National Insurance Co.Ltd.
      VISAKHAPATNAM- 530024.
      Mobile: +91 901 420 1697

    • Little Me
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 16, 2011
        Yes, I would like to also know how to fix this problem. I have tried re-booting and signing in/out of my email account but, the problem remains. It happens on both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, and I'd love to know how to fix it so it auto-fills like it used to whenever I tried to send an email.

        Mimi

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@...> wrote:

        > Thank you But I have tried that. And rebooting etc. It seems to be my Yahoo accounts 'cos it happens with both IE8 and Chrome on various accounts that I use. BTW I am in the UK where we are experiencing the same problems as in the US with Groups traffic being dumped in the Spam folder, and Mail search not working (sometimes only going back less than a year, and now the address field being 'disconnected' from the contacts list. Chris B.

      • gordon_groups_pm
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 16, 2011
          I work for Yahoo!, mainly on Yahoo! Groups in the past, but I have recently begun spending more time on Mail.

          Anyway, this is a known issue that began on Classic last week. It's been a tricky problem to resolve quickly because addressing the root causes involves a bunch of different teams at Yahoo! (not just the Mail team). Access to the contact list, which is at the heart of the issue, is run by the platform group, since it's a shared resource across all of Yahoo.

          But folks have definitely been working the problem hard, and I'll post an update about when we expect it to be fixed as soon as I know more. Thanks,

          - Gordon
          Yahoo!

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Little Me" <littleme_hi@...> wrote:

          > Yes, I would like to also know how to fix this problem. I have tried re-booting and signing in/out of my email account but, the problem remains. It happens on both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, and I'd love to know how to fix it so it auto-fills like it used to whenever I tried to send an email.
          >
          > Mimi
          >

          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thank you But I have tried that. And rebooting etc. It seems to be my Yahoo accounts 'cos it happens with both IE8 and Chrome on various accounts that I use. BTW I am in the UK where we are experiencing the same problems as in the US with Groups traffic being dumped in the Spam folder, and Mail search not working (sometimes only going back less than a year, and now the address field being 'disconnected' from the contacts list. Chris B.

        • Chris J Brady
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 16, 2011
            Rebooting etc. is not the answer. It is affecting thousands (millions?). I would opine that it is due to Yahoo tweaking the script or code to stop users auto-filling addresses given a partial spelling of contacts.

            This is good for Yahoo because 1/ it makes life difficult for users of Classic who are then going to unwillingly swtich over to All-New, and 2/ it reduces the no. of emails sent to multiple addresses because the alternative way of addressing is quite a lot more time-consuming [**],

            Of course this snafu might also force many (thousands) to junk Yahoo mail in favour of Gmail.

            I cannot believe that removing auto-fill of addresses is accidental. If it was this would imply some gross incompetance on the part of Yahoo programmers. Auto-fill is a pretty standard feature for browsers and websites. So the removal is either a deliberate policy on Yahoo management's part to make life difficult for Classic users; or deliberate sabotage by disgruntled programmers for some reason. I met have both attitudes amongst programmers at my previous company - I think it is quite widespread in the programming / scripting community.

            [**] The alternative is to click on 'Insert addresses' when a separate window will open. This will list all address book contacts, which can then be seached, then check-marked for inclusion in the To: Cc: &/or Bcc: fields of an email. However his process has to be repeated if you want to build up a comprehensive list of recipients. All *very* time consuming.

            The other idiosyncrasy about this snafu is that if you populate the recipient fields from your address book, and then send the email to them, Yahoo Mail then suggests that you might like to add them to the address book. If you elect to say 'yes' it then comes back with the same list against which is a symbol indicating that they already are in the address book!!! Doh!!!

            I think that this issue, and the recent vicissitudes of the changes and roll-back of Yahoo Groups demonstrates just what an amateurish crowd Yahoo have become. If anyone is a Yhaoo user I would advise making preparations for when Yahoo is no more - and could be sooner than we think.

            Chris B.

            P.S. You may freely use my phrasing and words if you wish to forward said issue to Yahoo or others.

          • adeomus ********
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 16, 2011
              thank you so much, Gordon......this is day 13 and it's really a pain cuz i have to post frequently to all the groups i co-own or mod...

              i tried the new mail yet again, and though it has auto address, it won't recognize the multiple addresses, says they are not valid addresses....won't even save it to drafts...

              and when i do save something to drafts, it doesn't indicate that it's been saved...
              i have to take a chance, leave the page ( usually copy it just in case) and go check !

              there are a few other reasons i prefer classic as well.....among them, the clean look
               and the full subject lines cuz no other stuff on the page....

              but overall i love yahoo mail and groups, for several years now,
               in spite of the occasional minor ( so far) glitches....
              and am extremely grateful they decided to leave our homepages alone !

              the reps have also always been super.

              best wishes,
              addy

              PNG Gothic Faery
              The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein

              I work for Yahoo!, mainly on Yahoo! Groups in the past, but I have recently begun spending more time on Mail.

              Anyway, this is a known issue that began on Classic last week. It's been a tricky problem to resolve quickly because addressing the root causes involves a bunch of different teams at Yahoo! (not just the Mail team). Access to the contact list, which is at the heart of the issue, is run by the platform group, since it's a shared resource across all of Yahoo.

              But folks have definitely been working the problem hard, and I'll post an update about when we expect it to be fixed as soon as I know more. Thanks,

              - Gordon
              Yahoo!

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Little Me" <littleme_hi@...> wrote:

              > Yes, I would like to also know how to fix this problem.  I have tried re-booting and signing in/out of my email account but, the problem remains.  It happens on both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, and I'd love to know how to fix it so it auto-fills like it used to whenever I tried to send an email.
              >
              > Mimi
              >

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank you But I have tried that. And rebooting etc. It seems to be my Yahoo accounts 'cos it happens with both IE8 and Chrome on various accounts that I use. BTW I am in the UK where we are experiencing the same problems as in the US with Groups traffic being dumped in the Spam folder, and Mail search not working (sometimes only going back less than a year, and now the address field being 'disconnected' from the contacts list. Chris B.

                  Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

            • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 16, 2011
                  i heard a rumor that the " new"(?) management at yahoo has been laying off employees....
                  so the possibility of disgruntled people is possible ....?

                  but, it does seem to me that there is a possibility of forcing us to go to new mail...it was even suggested in the responses i had from customer care....
                  and i wonder why,
                  because if it was a superior product, we would be going there in droves !

                  i have tried new mail several times and kept going back to classic because the new mail is not nearly as user friendly !

                  what's the good of new mail for those of us who only want a reliable, efficient
                   e-mail system ...
                  if i wanted messenger, chat, etc, i would arrange it
                  but i have no time for those things.

                  please, leave classic be !

                  yours, addy

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 17, 2011
                    So this problem only afflicts the Yahoo Classic email users? Your statement about forcing Yahoo email users to switch over from Classic to the All-New format is something I tried to do to get past this problem. But, unfortunately for me, I have a screen resolution problem that does not permit me to make the switch, so I have to stick with the Classic format. I had a little-used Gmail account, but, recently started using it preferentially over my Yahoo Email account, JUST because it is so much easier now to use with that auto-fill format which really does save a lot of time and is so much more convenient now. I still have my Yahoo email account, but, don't use it as much now as my Gmail account. Funny you should say that.

                    I would not doubt that this is happening with greater frequency for more email users, and that I'm not the only one who is switching over for the sake of convenience.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 18, 2011
                      Just a quick update to let folks know that the issue with Classic Mail no longer auto suggesting addresses should now be resolved (in truth, the root cause of the problem is still there and being worked on, but the team has managed to put a patch in place that should make the feature work again until they have a chance to complete the real fix).

                      If I'm wrong and you're still experiencing the problem, please let Customer Care know:
                      http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/classic/help_p.html

                      Apologies for the inconvenience.

                      - Gordon

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "gordon_groups_pm" <gordonst@...> wrote:

                      > I work for Yahoo!, mainly on Yahoo! Groups in the past, but I have recently begun spending more time on Mail.
                      >
                      > Anyway, this is a known issue that began on Classic last week. It's been a tricky problem to resolve quickly because addressing the root causes involves a bunch of different teams at Yahoo! (not just the Mail team). Access to the contact list, which is at the heart of the issue, is run by the platform group, since it's a shared resource across all of Yahoo.
                      >
                      > But folks have definitely been working the problem hard, and I'll post an update about when we expect it to be fixed as soon as I know more. Thanks,
                      >
                      > - Gordon
                      > Yahoo!
                      >
                      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Little Me" <littleme_hi@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Yes, I would like to also know how to fix this problem. I have tried re-booting and signing in/out of my email account but, the problem remains. It happens on both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, and I'd love to know how to fix it so it auto-fills like it used to whenever I tried to send an email.
                      > >
                      > > Mimi
                      > > >
                      > > > --- On Sat, 1/8/11, Chris B <chrisjbrady@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > With Win 7 IE8 and Chrome I have auto-fill 'on.' However just recently I've noticed that when I create a new email Yahoo Mail doesn't auto-fill addresses in the To: CC: and BC: fields. This is a pain. For example I have a number of family contacts with the name 'brady' I used to be able to type into the To: field something like 'bra' and Yahoo would provide me with drop down menu from my contacts of all of those choices. I then clicked on the ones I needed as recipients. Now this feature doesn't work. Grrr!!! Chris B.
                    • Harryh
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 18, 2011
                        I do hope classic is preserved.  I rarely use 'new' because it is clumsy.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 19, 2011
                          Thank you for at least sending out an alert on this.

                          BUT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK FOR ME.

                          CJB.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 19, 2011
                            absolutely.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 19, 2011
                              thank you so much, Gordon !
                              as with all the reps i have encountered, you rock !

                              i don't have auto address back though, so have contacted yahoo again.

                              thanks so very much for being here.