Re: Report spam email

  • bobkaplow
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Cindy Cozad-Rudinger <zadrud1@...> wrote:

      > I just got an email asking to verify my Yahoo email info, clearly fake. I know there is an email to forward such messages, but I can't find it. Could someone please post? Thanx, Cindy

      I forward them all to spamcop.net for reporting. You need to create an account there that will generate a custom email address for you to report. Or you can cut and past into their screen.

      Yahoo messes around with email headers, so you may have to use the outlook workaround. And you'll have to click onthe full header box with cut & paste.

      Lately I've had issues with yahoo blocking my forwarding of spam to spamcop. In 2 months of going in circles with their no-help desk I've yet to get any one to actually fix the problem. Sometimes it happens multiple times a day, sometimes once a week, but the problem is ongoing. See my post here a month or so back.
    • Shal Farley
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
        bobkaplow,

        >I forward them all to spamcop.net for reporting. You need to create an
        >account there that will generate a custom email address for you to
        >report. Or you can cut and past into their screen.
        >Lately I've had issues with yahoo blocking my forwarding of spam to spamcop.

        I've always had to use the web form cut-and-paste method, as Verizon blocks outbound messages it deems to be spam based on a content matching filter.

        A member of one of my groups reported that his Y-Mail account had been temporarily blocked because he forwarded (or attempted to forward) a spam message to the FTC and to the company targeted by the spam.

        In my opinion, such outbound filters are wrong-headed, as they prevent reporting. Even if an email service thinks they are valuable in preventing dishonest customers from spamming, there needs to be a way to allow reporting. Perhaps a whitelist of known reporting addresses, or perhaps combine the filter result with behavior profiling to separate the honest reporters from the spammers.

        -- Shal
      • Harryh
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2011
          The form could be the clearest example of non-customer friendly policy, but abuse @ yahoo.com still works (or did the last time I bothered).

          I spend awhile forwarding spam from Y-groups from spammers using Yahoo controlled email nyms (where the groups still had on-topic postings but in a leaderless group).  Yahoo was always 'polite' but did nothing (IMHO) to delete the offending nym.  When a given nym spams multiple groups with a barrage of off topic UCE, one would think that easily observed.  But nothing was done <sigh>.  Oh well.

          >I just got an email asking to verify my Yahoo email info, clearly fake.
          >I know there is an email to forward such messages, but I can't find it.
          >Could someone please post?

          <http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/security/phishing/phishing-02.html>

          -- Shal

        • makc666
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2011
            There is a better solution for spamcop.net and Microsoft Outlook.

            I use it and it is the best one on the market.

            And it is Free!

            SpamSource is an Spam Reporting addin for Microsoft Outlook 2000/XP/2003/2007.

            SpamSource helps collect information from messages for use in reporting unsolicited junk email.

            Links:
            http://www.daesoft.com/freeware/spamsource/
            http://www.daesoft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=75
            http://www.aegislive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=56

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
              Interesting. I use Mailwasher to report to spamcop but it isn't free. But, then again, I use Eudora.