The first public viewing of the Mail beta

  • jbeaul
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5 10:38 AM
      http://tinyurl.com/b54yv

      Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from the
      latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke, don't
      fix it!

      Joe
    • Joshua Logan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7 2:43 PM
        This is not what the interface actually looks like.

        This is, in fact, an image of what OddPost looks like, hence the
        striking similarities. :)

        Can anyone make screenshots of what the interface looks like?

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:
        > http://tinyurl.com/b54yv
        >
        > Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from the
        > latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke, don't
        > fix it!
        >
        > Joe
      • jbeaul
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7 10:38 PM
          What does the interface look like?

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Logan" <emailjaylogan@y...> wrote:
          > This is not what the interface actually looks like.
        • abonet
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
            Considering that Yahoo purchased a working product it seems its taking
            a notably long time for them to "port" it to Yahoo's Mail. I was sort
            of dissapointed in how much its still missing: no working
            spell-checker on Mozilla/Firefox, no real integration with Calendar,
            lots of CPU usage during certain operations.

            How many years off would this thing be if they started from scratch?

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:

            > http://tinyurl.com/b54yv
            >
            > Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from the
            > latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke, don't
            > fix it!
            >
            > Joe

          • Silvana Wasitova
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
              Hmm.... considering the millions of Yahoo users out there (how many users did Oddpost have?),
              I'd expect it would take more than just a "simple port".

              Silvana Wasitova - wasitova@...

              Considering that Yahoo purchased a working product it seems its taking
              a notably long time for them to "port" it to Yahoo's Mail. I was sort
              of dissapointed in how much its still missing: no working
              spell-checker on Mozilla/Firefox, no real integration with Calendar,
              lots of CPU usage during certain operations.

              How many years off would this thing be if they started from scratch?

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:

              > http://tinyurl.com/b54yv
              >
              > Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from the
              > latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke, don't
              > fix it!
              >
              > Joe

              Beta Promote Apply for

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

            • Greg Vergho
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
                As a former Oddpost user, I would say that Silvana is on the right
                track. Oddpost won't say how many users they had when they stopped
                taking new accounts in July of 2004, but it was/is no where near the
                number that Yahoo has.

                As far as a simple port of the software, Oddpost worked under
                Internet Explorer only. If you brought it up in Firefox, it
                wouldn't even launch. Oddpost also spawned a completely locked IE
                window that you couldn't use for anything else but the Oddpost
                client and that was their way of controling the reliability of the
                interface.

                In tackling changing the Yahoo Mail client, they have to contend
                with different browsers, operating systems, and hardware to somehow
                try to satisfy every Yahoo user out there. I'm betting this thing
                could be in beta for a while longer.

                But they have a little pressure to get this done sooner than later.
                Hotmail is close on their heals with their Tsunami beta and they
                should only have to build on their existing Outlook Web Access
                client which already works very well for corporate MS Exchange users.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Silvana Wasitova <wasitova@y...>
                wrote:

                > Hmm.... considering the millions of Yahoo users out there (how
                many users did Oddpost have?),
                > I'd expect it would take more than just a "simple port".
                >
                > Silvana Wasitova - wasitova@y...

                Guillaume
                > Beta Promote Apply for
                >

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

                Service.

              • abonet
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
                  I never claimed it was "simple", but something as basic as a
                  spell-checker? C'mon, they could probably hire some college student
                  as an intern for a week and get that working on Mozilla.

                  Heck, I'm using Google Toolbar as a spell-checker for my Yahoo! Beta
                  Mail on Firefox. What's wrong with that picture?