Self-Duplicating Contact Info

  • peterlebensold
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010

      (Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.)

      Something strange has started happening to my Contact information lately: Every time I open a Contact, the information in there (name, addresses, notes, etc.) seems to be copied over one more time.  So, for example, if I've happened to open a particular Contact file, say, three times, the information I've entered appears three times!

      Anyone have any explanation for this - or a fix?  Many thanks.

    • Craig Wright
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
        Can you explain what you mean by "open" a contact? We knew this was happening on save, so if you edit a contact, even if you don't change anything, it would dupe the data. It would be very strange if this was happening every time you view a contact.

        Also, where are you opening the contact? Can you see the behavior on http://address.yahoo.com/?

        Thanks,
        Craig

        On Nov 30, 2010, at 11:44 AM, peterlebensold wrote:

        (Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.)

        Something strange has started happening to my Contact information lately: Every time I open a Contact, the information in there (name, addresses, notes, etc.) seems to be copied over one more time.  So, for example, if I've happened to open a particular Contact file, say, three times, the information I've entered appears three times!

        Anyone have any explanation for this - or a fix?  Many thanks.

      • Judith
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2010
          I have been having the same problem when I edit a contact. I try to remove the duplicated information to no avail. I assumed that it was just a glitch that would be fixed eventually but it has been happening for some time now.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
            Thanks Craig, for the response.

            It happens when I am in Yahoo Mail. I click on "Contacts" on the left of the screen and then select any of the contacts I have. On opening, the name at the top of the page is duplicated ["John Smith, John Smith" - with comma]. What I have JUST noticed is that this does not seem to occur if the info on the contact is just an email or postal address. But, if there is a phone number, or a note, then everything appears twice.

            If I then open a contact and edit out the duplicated fields, then save, the duplicate fields remain.

            This does NOT seem to happen at http://address.yahoo.com/

            Does this help?

            Peter

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2010
              Hi Peter,

              Thanks for the details, the good news is that the problem description matches the issue we have been investigating. On Monday we pushed some code to fix the cause of the duplication. New edits should not be duplicated.

              However, currently you still cannot remove the duplicated fields that were previously duped. We are looking into that issue.

              Thanks,
              Craig

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2010
                Hi Peter,

                This should not be happening anymore EXCEPT with names. You cannot delete names at all from the edit page in Contacts right now. It does not matter if the names are dupes or not, you just plain cannot delete names.

                Let me know if you are seeing any other issue deleting fields, or if you are still having field duplication issues.

                Thanks,
                Craig