Why don't i see the microsoft green address bar when signing into yahoo.

  • ketaki malhotra
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 9, 2010
      When i go to mail.yahoo.com, why don't i see the green address on the internet explorer, unlike mozilla.

      Seems to me, that mozilla is leading me to my real yahoo account, whearas, internet explorer is leading me to a controlled yahoo account. all my mails go through so late through internet explorer.

      But when i signin to mozilla, i am just not able to view my inbox, i get a blank page, which the URL in the address bar just switching randomly among weird charecters. As if its sending multiple automated messages. So that could be the real preview of my account wheaas...

      internet explorer could be just showing me a controlled account by the spammer itself. Because whatever questions i send to customer care too, are replied back to, without the Y sign.
    • Sasafrass452
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
        I don't understand what you mean by "all my mails go through so late through internet explorer". Webmail is the same no matter what browser you're using. As for seeing a green address in Mozilla(Firefox) but not IE, that doesn't mean anything. It's just part of Firefox's default skin. In IE, you're still seeing YOUR account, with YOUR username, & YOUR password. There's no spammer controlling your account. If there was, you likely wouldn't be able to log in. I don't know why you're getting a blank page in Firefox, but you could try clearing the cache & see if that works.

        On a side note, I very seriously recommend that you learn what things to trust or not trust on the internet, as well as how to keep your computer clean. Perhaps you can take some lessons in your area. You're WAAAAYYYYY too scared, & you need not be! The internet can be a fun place if you let it.... Relax. Learn. Have fun ;)

        **Sasafrass452**
        Owner, The X Factor- US
        Co-Moderator, AIBR

        On 11/09/2010 08:46 PM, ketaki malhotra wrote:
        When i go to mail.yahoo.com, why don't i see the green address on the internet explorer, unlike mozilla.

        Seems to me, that mozilla is leading me to my real yahoo account, whearas, internet explorer is leading me to a controlled yahoo account. all my mails go through so late through internet explorer.

        But when i signin to mozilla, i am just not able to view my inbox, i get a blank page, which the URL in the address bar just switching randomly among weird charecters. As if its sending multiple automated messages. So that could be the real preview of my account wheaas...

        internet explorer could be just showing me a controlled account by the spammer itself. Because whatever questions i send to customer care too, are replied back to, without the Y sign.

            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • ketaki malhotra
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
          not the skin, the address bar, where the link is to yahoomail, that doesn't turn light green for me.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
            As I said, it doesn't mean anything. Try clearing the cache & see if that helps.

            **Sasafrass452**
            Owner, The X Factor- US
            Co-Moderator, AIBR

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 12, 2010
              The green bar means means a lot. Its a difinate signal from microsoft to tell whether the page i am visiting is a genuine page. Mozilla in turn gives a green block on the left hand of the address bar, and the internet explorer makes the whole address bar green.

              As i know yahoo does support this green verification feature to let its users know they are on the genuine site. And i am not getting the green address bar on the internet explorer when i am on the yahoo signin page.

              If instaed of telling me that i am unnecessarily scared, if you could rather tell me whether you get the green address bar or not, don't you think it would be much more helpful.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 12, 2010
                I've NEVER seen a green address bar in Firefox. I can't speak for IE because I use a Linux OS, so I don't have IE. When you go to http://www.yahoo.com you are seeing the genuine site. What theme & addons are you using with Firefox?

                **Sasafrass452**
                Owner, The X Factor- US
                Co-Moderator, AIBR

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 12, 2010
                  No green box for me, either.  I use Firefox almost exclusively.  However, I just opened IE, and no green address bar, either.  Paraphrasing a giant, "I do not think that {green bar} means what you think it means."

                  My McAfee Security Suite has a green "Site Advisor" box.  This turns yellow if McAfee suspects something, red if McAfee is pretty sure there is something wrong with a site.

                  When you type in the correct URL (not click on a URL in an email), you go to the right website.  How in the world is someone going to send your browser to a different site than what you actually type in?  Yes, scammers can attempt to mask the real URL in a hot link, but not when you type it in.

                  I suggest you get McAfee or some other full security suite, install it, then relax.  I don't understand what all the angst is about.  You made it to the group, you check your email, correct?  Do you really think someone out there is going to actually recreate a false email interface just for you?  If you typed in Yahoo's URL, then you are on Yahoo's website.  If you click on the sign in link on the Yahoo website, you will go to the official Yahoo sign in, regardless of some feature you have enabled/disabled on your browser.

                  In His Grip,
                  Paula McCartney

                  "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7
                  http://www.bereanhouston.org/

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 12, 2010
                    The green bar doesn't mean as much as you think. I think all it means is that Microsoft recognizes validations from some vendors (Verisign) as safe by default but not some other (Equifax?)

                    May be someone can help me out - this has to do with the root certificates Windows uses, am I correct?

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, ketaki malhotra <mystery_006in@...> wrote:

                    > The green bar means means a lot. Its a difinate signal from microsoft to tell
                    > whether the page i am visiting is a genuine page. Mozilla in turn gives a green
                    > block on the left hand of the address bar, and the internet explorer makes the
                    > whole address bar green.
                    >

                    > As i know yahoo does support this green verification feature to let its users
                    > know they are on the genuine site. And i am not getting the green address bar on
                    > the internet explorer when i am on the yahoo signin page.
                    >

                    > If instaed of telling me that i am unnecessarily scared, if you could rather
                    > tell me whether you get the green address bar or not, don't you think it would
                    > be much more helpful.

                  • Craig Wright
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 12, 2010
                      A few thoughts:

                      1. This greening of the Address (or Location) Bar has nothing to do with your website provider, it is the function of the browser (IE or Firefox).

                      2. There is no reason to think Firefox and IE will share user interface elements in common (e.g., IE may show a green bar while Firefox may show a "plus sign" to indicate the same behavior).

                      3. I just checked on IE8 and FF3.6, no color-coded text. Generally speaking, color-coded signalling is frowned upon because users may be color-blind.

                      I think you must be using a 3rd party plugin, that may or may not install for both IE and Firefox, that may be responsible for greening or not greening one or both. I do not think this is native behavior of the browser.

                      Should you be concerned? Maybe, but I doubt it. It depends what that is trying to tell you. Right now Mail does not use SSL so it's not related to connection security. I would be more concerned if we were SSL enabled and you were seeing SSL errors.

                      (Cue: Firefox/IE expert to tell me why I am wrong and how the location bar should always be green. ;)

                      My (unofficial) $0.02,

                      Craig

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 13, 2010
                        FWIW, I think this is the green bar the OP is speaking of (screenshot of my FF on Hotmail login page):

                        GreenBar
                      • Bill
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 13, 2010
                          Hi.......it's a Firefox add-on called WOT

                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 13, 2010
                            When accessing my hotmail account, I get the green for just a
                            small second and then there is the hotmail orange envelope.

                            I'm using my gmail account. I couldn't get into my yahoo webmail for 1 1/2 days.

                            *Suzi*

                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/puppykisses

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 13, 2010
                              yes i am speaking of this

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 13, 2010
                                Its a FF feature, and a similar feature on IE, where the whole address bar, not just the left of the address bar turns green.
                                When yopu go to a site which is legit, the browsers IE and FF display this green colou to show you are on the legit site.