Feedbacks ? Should you bother...

  • GuillaumeB
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
      Kind of wondering...as no mention of this group as been made in the latest post published on the Yahoo! Mail blog... http://is.gd/gCNKt
      Nice communication....
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
        well, would be nice to get a mention, though I guess they prefer their official suggestions boards. Having said that, they did post on here to say that they read our posts on this group. I think the group should be particularly good for people to discuss what they like and dislike about the product and the relative merits of including new features. We have been lacking in discussion lately.

        To kick things off (again?), my personal opinion about the beta is one of slight disappointment at present. Aesthetics aside, it's predominatly a technical improvement rather than a functional one. The main advantage appears speed, and some current users will benefit from this. But look at it another way. What makes it stand out from the competition, anymore than the product it will replace? Currently, aside from twitter integration, little else (the photo slide show is nice but hotmail does it too). This is harsh, I know, but when Gmail came along, it was radically different and has been gaining users since, partly on the back of the Google name, but also the organisation features in mail (inlc threads), the fully working and very functional calendar and the integration with Docs. That is why companies are switching to Gmail etc... for their productivity. Unfortunately, I can't see yahoo offering that at present (though it's probably not its aim to do so).

        Mine may seem like a harsh assessment, and it is not meant to put down the hard work the mail team have done. Undoubtedly the beta is an impressive product that I wouldn't have a clue where to start building. I hold hope that the underlying technical changes will inspire faster development. Personally, the potential for 3rd party developers to tap into this will be key, allowing it to be a platform to provide radically different, diverse and critically, integrated, services on the background of a very functional email program. I genuinely hope that Y Mail beta succeeds in this.

        Opinions (for and against) welcome.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
          Now having used the Beta extensively for the last few days, I'll offer my humble opinion;

          1) It does seem we took a step back with the calendar strip and the calendar link itself gone. I've tried Gmail and Hotmail and as much as I like Gmail in some ways, I always find myself coming back to Yahoo mail. I like the tabs. I like not having to have multiple browser tabs open to look at an email I may be working with while working on a new one. I like having contacts in a tab where I can go look at them without having to finish an existing email. In general I like the Outlook type feel, though I know that MS software is generally frowned on. I like the ability to multitask within email and it's all there wherever I go.

          2) On that note, why did the Calendar have to be removed to make this Beta? I use Yahoo for email, scheduling, contact management, etc and it would be much more productive for it all to be in one place. Given what I've seen of this so far, I'm puzzled as to why the Calendar was removed from Applications? As was Notepad which I don't use as much, but did use.

          3) I initially complained about the speed, those issues seem to be gone. It does seem to move faster.

          All in all I like what was done but puzzled why some of the features were taken away for what seemingly were small changes? For me, the decision to stay with Yahoo is going to come down to how quickly some of these missing features are returned.

          On a side note, it seems since this Beta was just a couple of days away until even now, the push email feature to the iPhone hasn't worked well or consistently. Has anyone else noticed a difference?

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
            Well unfortunately I believe Yahoo! Mail wants to stand out with social network integration, not mail features per sé.
            I guess Hotmail did a great job by implementing some Gmail features in a way that speaks to more users.
            Yahoo simply wants to attract more users and by doing so they actually believe that you're gonna read your Facebook and your Twitter updates within Yahoo! Mail.

            Now ever since this has been implemented Yahoo! Mail has actually lost users...

            We know they could do something great with applications, but then again, we had this conversation about a year ago...
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
              I agree that the attempt to draw in social features is a bit different, though I see this mainly as a user-retainer, rather than to draw in new users. Especially with facebook and twitter being increasingly available on our mobiles, the need to access this on the desktop (at work?) is reduced. Still, I can see this appeals to some people, so I'm not against it per se.

              The applications thing, yes, agree we were discussing it last year to no avail. I just thought that with a new engine it may become more relevant again, and worth discussing.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
                Kenton, your comment illustrates an idea that I recently published on this grou that is : t build the new Yahoo! on top of Yahoo! mail Classic which actually offers in one place your whole PIM : Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Notepad (and even briefcase at some point).

                This may seem like an old idea but unified services have always ruled even when pseudo web 2.0 start ups wanted you to hate web portals for a more opened (not to say fragmented) Internet. In the end they had to create OpenID to reunite everything...well done !

                From what we've seen from Yahoo! presentation, the Calendar should be implemented as a tab in the future. i guess they'll soon add link in the application section to make you wait for another year...

                The last Yahoo! Mail beta was launched in september 2005 and lasted two years, let's see what comes up till 2012 :)