After a couple days with Minty/Neo...

  • GuillaumeB
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2010
      The more I'm using the beta, the more I find Yahoo! Mail classic more suitable as an email service. It's too bad though that those HTML requests have not been as optimized on the Classic version.

      It just feels more "Yahoo", does not try to emulate a software and provides tons of features that have been well implemented over years. It has a consistent UI but I find some elements have lags like searching for attachment for example. Also the messenger integration is pretty good

      In some way I wish that Yahoo would get inspired by Yahoo! Mail Classic for the Yahoo! Minty/Neo UI and why not work on top of it to make it speedier.

      From what i've heard, Yahoo! Mail Classic should stay and this new version would replace the Graham version. I guess this is the chance to make them more alike and simply decline a speedier, more DHTML-based version of the Classic mail for broadband users.
    • sy1bzbn
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2010
        The keyboard shortcuts response time in this beta is slower than (a dozen) mouse clicks, but I like this beta better than the classic.

        The mail search is impressive and intuitive. The query in the search box now reflects new refinements through GUI. After learning a few search keywords by observation, the search box allows pinpoint precisions with minimum effort.

        I learned how to build the search query by pressing the search button with an empty search box, then check the search box after each new refinement.

        If nothing else, I believe the mail search is now the best of any mail services available today.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "GuillaumeB" <guillaume@...> wrote:

        > The more I'm using the beta, the more I find Yahoo! Mail classic more suitable as an email service. It's too bad though that those HTML requests have not been as optimized on the Classic version.
        >
        > It just feels more "Yahoo", does not try to emulate a software and provides tons of features that have been well implemented over years. It has a consistent UI but I find some elements have lags like searching for attachment for example. Also the messenger integration is pretty good
        >
        > In some way I wish that Yahoo would get inspired by Yahoo! Mail Classic for the Yahoo! Minty/Neo UI and why not work on top of it to make it speedier.
        >
        > From what i've heard, Yahoo! Mail Classic should stay and this new version would replace the Graham version. I guess this is the chance to make them more alike and simply decline a speedier, more DHTML-based version of the Classic mail for broadband users.

      • GuillaumeB
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2010
          Well those search refinements were actually taken from Yahoo! Mail Classic :)

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2010
            Ah I did not realize ... date: and folder: too?

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2010
              Well, you can try to go back to the previous version of Y!Mail and then choose to go back again to the Classic version. When doing a search , you'll find those links to joint files.

              Shortcuts have been around for quite a while: check this out:
              http://is.gd/gsqQa

              What would be cool, however, is to use them and create internal shortcuts to quickly perform internal searches for several types of documents. I can do that in Gmail and set up a link to an internal query that would look like :
              "has:attachment filename:(jpg OR jpeg OR png OR tif OR bmp)", if I want to exclude signature gifs for example.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 29, 2010
                You are right. My mistake.